Used 2005 Toyota Tacoma Double Cab Consumer Reviews - 197 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Toyota Tacoma Double Cab - Consumer Reviews

2005 Toyota Tacoma Double Cab

View reviews for a specific Tacoma model:

Just what I wanted
By Toyota John

2005 Toyota Tacoma Double Cab 4dr Double Cab V6 4WD SB (4.0L 6cyl 6M)

Looked at every truck available and almost got a Honda. The Toy was not as nice but much more fun to drive. I'm on the fwy every day in LA traffic and love the 6 speed, original tires have 65k and will last another 8K months, clutch is solid as the first day. Overall quality is first rate. Interior room is fine but not spacious. I am 6'4" and my sons are 6'5" and they love to drive it. Plan to buy the exact same when youngest son takes this. Toyota no longer sells a 6 speed in SoCal so I'll go out state to get one.

I'm a big guy 6'4" 250 lbs, seats are outstanding, no back pain after hours of LA traffic. Love the 6 speed, takes the boredom out of the drive.

Complaints; you can't read the radio in day light with the lights on wearing sun glasses and since I'm on the road 4 hrs a day it matters. Storage box in bed vibrates open and spills whatever is inside which then blows away. Needs more interior storage although it's not bad. Fix the red lighting.

Revolutionary!!
By Stevo

2005 Toyota Tacoma Double Cab 4dr Double Cab PreRunner V6 Rwd SB (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I have to say, I am so impressed with my new truck. I have been driving BMWs for the last five years and coming out of a 40K car to a truck I was not expecting the luxury drive as well as the power and handling. WOW! What an extraordinary driving machine. I love it so much. The TRD package is worth every penny! I am absolutely impressed with it and can't wait to plan some fishing trips.

TRD sport package, erogonomics, spacious, powerful engine, and great handling.

Leather interior, navigation, and more gadgets on the inside.

Owned them all and by far this is #1
By donzi2005

2005 Toyota Tacoma Double Cab 4dr Double Cab V6 4WD SB (4.0L 6cyl 6M)

I speak from experience. Owned 86 SR5 22RET 4x4 (300K+), 91 SR5 4x4 (200K+), 96 T100 4x4, 96 4runner Limited, 95 Tacoma 4x4 (75K), 96 Tacoma 4x4 (75K). 99 Toy 4x4 Ext Cab (100K) As you can see I spent many a miles behind the wheel of a Toyota truck. Bought my 2005 to tow a 22' boat. Already after year and half put 30K miles on it. By far the best looking all around driveable Toyota truck I have ever owned. Towing and overall drivability is above all others. Long-distance HWY trips are now a dream. Reliability is always A+. The only thing I have to do with this truck is change the oil and air filter. See below for my few negative comments.

The awesome looks, decent gas mileage, great power and the integrated bed liner with rear power DC to AC option.

The biggest disappt. is the brakes. Hey Toyota REAR wheel DISCs!!! Come on the drums are a carry over from my 86 Toy! Had major brake fade while towing. Fix the shifting of the auto trans! That also has been a problem from the past. Shifts hard and never feels right.

05 Tacoma DC-LB 4x4
By jknutson

2005 Toyota Tacoma Double Cab 4dr Double Cab V6 4WD LB (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

This is my second Tacoma (first was a 97 ext. cab 4x4), and WOW what a machine! The '97 was rock solid, and so far, the '05 has been just as good. The ride is smooth (w/ long wheelbase), the 4.0L and 5spd tranny is awesome, the 4x4 system works flawlessly, the interior/exterior styling is so much better than the competition IMO. It is everything you would expect from a 28K truck. The only minor complaint I would have is some wind noise at speeds of 65+. MPG is very good for a truck this size (18-20 mpg). Would highly recommend any Tacoma truck!! Tacoma = workhorse.

10" ground clearance, long bed option for hauling gear/supplies, 11 cup holders, lots of storage space.

Fix windshield noise. Raise seats off the floor about 1" (too low).

Fine vehicle
By bob brandis

2005 Toyota Tacoma Double Cab 4dr Double Cab V6 4WD LB (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

25,000... no problems, but did not have towing electrical harness as described in manual, had to purchase for 90 dollars and was difficult to install at fuse box. Towed 3,500 gross lb trailer loaded to max 800 miles no problems. Plenty of power, handles great and is comfortable. Compared to my 2002, greatly improved is a/c and handling/ride. Alarm is not too sensitive as in 2002. Size is nice midsize, has all I need and works well. A little wind noise, but overall is quiet. It's a keeper.

Power, dash layout, reliability, on the fly 4wd, comfort on long trips. Handling is excellent, turns very flat, no oversteer.

No cargo light at brakelight location on top of cab.