Used 2005 Toyota Tacoma Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Toyota Tacoma - Consumer Reviews

2005 Toyota Tacoma

View reviews for a specific Tacoma model:

Big improvement over previous Taco's
By Donboy

2005 Toyota Tacoma 4dr Double Cab PreRunner V6 Rwd SB (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

This is a HUGE improvement over the earlier Taco's that were much smaller and had little wiggle room inside. Now Toyota has a real mid-size truck!! Incredible power that is just too tempting to ignore - will smoke most of 'em off the line. Beautiful styling inside and out, with some fine tuning over the years these will be a perfect truck!

Favorite Features

Great power, easy to get in/out, generous back seat room, plenty of storage behind rear seats, great stance for a 2WD - looks great with only a 3" lift!! Very good steering and braking feel, has the feel of being classy and rugged at the same time - a great rig for the price. Thanks Toyota!!

Suggested Improvements

OK, now the fine tuning that it needs: the heater fan is loud, the rear headrests completely block rear mirror view (I removed the headrests), the steering wheel telescopes very little, no light for key ignition at night, needs small light for window controls or a finger sensor for drivers window.

Great buy
By Joseph

2005 Toyota Tacoma 4dr Double Cab V6 4WD SB (4.0L 6cyl 6M)

Make it short and sweet. I bought my taco used with exactly 20000 miles on it. I was an All-American car buyer until this vehicle and still doubted the value when I got it (Great Deal on the buy). Since I've gotten the truck I've put 36,000+ on it and never done anything other then oil changes. I literally love this truck more and more everyday I drive it. I would recommend it to anyone looking to buy a 4dr truck. Gets great gas mileage for a truck; has plenty of power on the street and off roading. I've only owned 4x4's(3 Jeep's, Explorer, F150 & 250, Blazer), and this is definitely one of the best I've owned. All around great buy.

Favorite Features

The power, handling, and suspension. Comfort of the drive off roading or street. Interior has a decent set up; everything is positioned pretty good for driver access and has plenty of storage space.

Suggested Improvements

Truthfully the comfort on long road trips is a little lacking (seats can't be upgraded unless aftermarket). Could have a little more leg room in the back (if the drivers tall, 6 ft+ the rear passengers don't have much leg room).

Like it more every day
By Greg

2005 Toyota Tacoma 4dr Access Cab V6 4WD SB (4.0L 6cyl 6M)

I've driven 51000 mi. with only oil changes and nothing else needed so far. The interior has superior fit and finish, and in the Michigan winters it makes not a peep, and is a testament to the build quality. Great styling turns heads, and I still get compliments after 4+yrs. With half city and half hwy driving I get 17.5mpg in the winter and 20.8mpg in the summer. Nothing has ever failed to work, and it climbs like a billy goat off-road. When I push the accelerator-it moves like all get out; feels like a V8 (a powerful V8).

Favorite Features

Can be used as a workhorse, and hosed off for a classy ride afterward. Cold air conditioning, composite bed w/tiedown cleats, great sound system.

Suggested Improvements

Can't think of any.

The best one yet
By justfine

2005 Toyota Tacoma 4dr Double Cab V6 4WD SB (4.0L 6cyl 6M)

My '05 is my 3rd Tacoma in a row. Previously an '01, and before a '95. The road handling on this one is night and day difference than the other 2. It does everything that I ask off road and gets decent mileage, 18 around town and up to 26 on the highway. It's about 4 1/2 years old, 150,000 miles, and drives like new. Nothing but oil changes, tires and brakes so far!!!

Favorite Features

Everything about it... looks, performance, and durability.

Suggested Improvements

Drivers seat wear and comfort.

Great Reliable Truck
By J Rivera

2005 Toyota Tacoma 4dr Access Cab PreRunner V6 Rwd SB (4.0L 6cyl 6M)

Great truck all around. I drive 20K per year through mountain roads in Puerto Rico and currently have 65K. I had one minor leak with the power steering fluid that was covered by warranty. Other than that, the temperature/compass display was damaged a month ago is not covered by the extended warranty I purchased! It's a great solid truck. Very reliable and lots of aftermarket goodies to customize it and make it your own. I have performed all tune-ups at the dealer and have never been strained on the road. The average MPGs are 17.8 with a best of 20.7 and a worst of 16.7.

Favorite Features

Love the factory bed and available tie-downs. The factory tire choice for my TRD was excellent. They lasted me 48,000 miles in Puerto Rico driving! (try it...) Look after modifications. Very smooth to drive and cab size is very comfortable. Engine seems to be very solidly built.

Suggested Improvements

Sunroof, larger seats for the TRD, perhaps captains' chairs. Electrical sliding rear window. 6 speed auto transmission. MPG readout. Offer it with a larger gas tank so it could go 500 miles without refueling (my personal best is 396 miles).