Used 2005 Toyota Tacoma Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Toyota Tacoma - Consumer Reviews

2005 Toyota Tacoma

View reviews for a specific Tacoma model:

Truck of the Year And I can prove it
By thegyn

2005 Toyota Tacoma 4dr Double Cab PreRunner V6 Rwd LB (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I had reviewed trucks for a year before purchasing. I actually didnt want the truck because I didnt think it would haul, tow, and still maintain it's ablitly to drive to work everyday. I was WRONG. This truck is FUN, and economical. I would like better gas mileage but I know what I was getting into with a V6. The power & comfort that the truck provides is excellent but yet it feels like a car while driving. When needed, the truck will traverse terrain and tow with ease.

Favorite Features

Roomy and very comfortable ride! I was genuiely SURPRISED! Is this truck a MIDSIZE?

Suggested Improvements

Better accelerlation on takeoff. But the truck can run with full size trucks easily.

I love my Taco!
By drg

2005 Toyota Tacoma 4dr Access Cab PreRunner Rwd SB (2.7L 4cyl 5M)

Got the Prerunner, Access, 4 cyl, manual. Ordered it. Great styling inside & out. This is my first Toyota & I'm very impressed, tho I feel shafted by the dealer. The prerunner concept is great - the looks of 4WD w/o the cost. Only problem is the clutch pedal is killing my calf. The pedal throw is way too much - my heel hits the floorboard before the clutch is 1/2 way depressed so I have to point my toes to the extreme in order to shift. Shoulda got an automatic! The dealer can't tell me if the pedal is adjustable unless I bring it in. Got it for 1% over invoice but the dealer said I couldn't order VSC. Toyota should ditch the dealers and let people order straight from the factory!

Favorite Features

Styling of the front grill is awesome! Great design inside & out! Excellent attention to detail. Prerunner concept is great. Bed mat is well worth it. Like the mileage (29) of the 4 cyl manual. Very smooth shifting tranny. Comfy seats. Good handling. Good ride. Clever interior design. Easy controls.

Suggested Improvements

Clutch pedal throw is way too far. Wish I didn't have to install seat covers myself. Need more colors. Need seatback pockets like on airlines. Hard to get VSC (should be standard!). Hard to get in - shoulda got the tube steps (running boards help only a little). Need more D rings in the bed.

Perfect Compromise
By Shiv

2005 Toyota Tacoma 4dr Double Cab V6 4WD SB (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

In going from a true fullsize truck, to a big midsize double cab,isn't much of an issue in the new Tacoma. The driving position is perfect to see the road. The TRD Off-Road package makes for relatively uneventful travel over even the roughest roads in the city -- should tame the rugged trails too. The power from the 4.0L V6 is excellent and rivals V8's from just a couple years ago. The truck feels solid, handles well, and looks sharp.

Favorite Features

Driving position, 4.0L V6 @ 245hp, interior cab space, controls, buttons and levers all seem to be naturally located, nearly a perfect combination of everything with the below noted changes as options....

Suggested Improvements

Power sliding window, a stereo that reproduces music not mushy bass tones, leather seating surfaces, locking glove box, locking bins in bed, more storage space under & behind the rear seats...

2005 Tacoma Sport 4X2 "SOLID"
By Happy Harvick

2005 Toyota Tacoma 4dr Double Cab PreRunner V6 Rwd SB (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Great truck with solid reputation. Aggressive body style with engine to match. As my 3rd truck I am surprised by how solid this truck performs.

Favorite Features

Engine response, body style.

Suggested Improvements

Better gas mileage. Radio controls on steering wheel should be standard. DRL should also be standard. Slightly smaller steering wheel or larger tilt option.

Committed Toyota Driver
By Mark

2005 Toyota Tacoma 2dr Regular Cab Rwd SB (2.7L 4cyl 5M)

This is my third Toyota Pickup. They keep making their trucks better and better. The height makes you feel like it is a full size truck, but it's handling and manuverability lets you know it is compact. Love the composite bed. The power and acceleration in their 4 cyc. responds better than a lot of 6 cyls. They really know how to build engines. I've found as long as you keep up with the oil changes, you should not have any problems with Toyotas. One problem with it is I can be on the highway doing 65 mph and the truck is running so smooth and quiet, it takes me a minute to remember I forgot to shift out of third gear (not really a bad thing I guess). I recomend this truck to all my friends.

Favorite Features

The power of this 2.7 L engine is remarkable and the reliability of Toyotas can't be beat! Haven't had much of a chance of abusing it yet, but the composite bed seems like an excelent idea. Always hate getting the paint all scratched up. also handles as smooth as a lot of cars I've driven.

Suggested Improvements

The only improvement I can think of is the comfort of the bench seat. Maybe it's just me getting older? Wish they would have made a seating option for this basic model.