2005 Toyota Tacoma - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Tacoma model:
TRD Off Road Package #2 (OG)
By Jim on 12/25/04 23:35 PM (PST)

2005 Toyota Tacoma 4dr Access Cab V6 4WD SB (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I have only had this truck a week and have 700 miles on it. It was pretty hard to get a 4X4 down here in Southern California. I had been searching about a month. When FINALLY a white one with the TRD Off Road package #2 (OG) hit ONE dealership. I took it up to Big Bear yesterday to check out the low range gearing and to try out the magic "Locker Button" (the rear differential lock). All went well and I am pretty happy with the truck so far. I figure mileage will improve some when the truck has a few thousand more miles on it. It's closer to 17 than 20 mpg. I am glad I waited for the white paint, I feel it looks better than the silver that they seem to be pumping out of the factory.

Great Truck!
By NICK on 12/24/04 15:29 PM (PST)

2005 Toyota Tacoma 4dr Access Cab V6 4WD SB (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I traded in my 04 Dakota for the Tacoma because the Dakota would bounce and hop like a pogo stick. The Tacoma is smooth and powerful and maintains control over even the worst road conditions. The only problem I've had so far (and alot of people are having the same problem) is an out-of-alignment cab mount bolt that rattles over bumps, but once you finally find where the noise is coming from, it should be a simple matter of re-bolting it. Overall visibility is excellent. The stock sound system is pretty good, as far as stockers go. I love the seats on the TRD package--the side bolsters really help through fast curves. Overall, it's one great truck. And it's FAST!

Best Tacoma Yet!
By L Smith on 12/23/04 23:00 PM (PST)

2005 Toyota Tacoma 4dr Double Cab PreRunner V6 Rwd LB (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

This is the third toyota truck owned. By far this is the best Tacoma. Traded 97 Tacoma standard cab w/127k miles, never a problem. This new tacoma is a hit! Great new size and good power. Very comfortable seats front and rear. Rear seat back is very comfortable even for larger passengers. Like the telescoping tilt wheel. Love the new composite bed. Adjustable bed rail system very convienient. This truck turns heads. After several tanks full, getting 22 mpg hwy, 20 city as displayed on sticker. 245 hp auto tranny great combo, smooth shifting, plenty of power. TRD off road pkg is worth the money. Good comfortable ride for a truck. Toyota quality shows in and out.

Meeting the road
By Richard Hackney on 12/21/04 02:06 AM (PST)

2005 Toyota Tacoma 4dr Double Cab PreRunner V6 Rwd LB (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I have owned a basic Tacoma pickup since 1998. It is a great vehicle that has just turned 100,000 miles. The only service that has ever been done is oil, tires and battery. I changed the brakes one time. I have been thinking about upgrading to a Tundra for about a year but when I saw the 2005 Tacoma I stopped looking. Earlier this month I bought a SR5, Double Cab, Long Bed. It is a pure pleasure to drive. I commute approximately 40 miles one way to work and the difference between the 1998 and 2005 models is incredible. Of course, I got all of the goodies -- cruise control, bucket seats, variable speed wipers, fog lights, etc. Let the road beware!!!!

Excellent small truck
By Patrick on 12/19/04 06:13 AM (PST)

2005 Toyota Tacoma 4dr Access Cab PreRunner V6 Rwd SB (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

The new styling is outstanding and larger than previous models. Power is excellent, and room inside the cabin is very good I am 75". Not very good gas mileage and engine makes lots of noise under heavy acceleration. Overall I love my truck

Clunk Clunk Clunk Clunk
By Matt on 12/18/04 12:42 PM (PST)

2005 Toyota Tacoma 4dr Double Cab V6 4WD LB (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I purchased my '05 Tacoma 4 Dr Long Box eight days ago. Since then it has been in the shop 4 of those days. It has a knocking/clunking/rattling coming from the right dashboard/fender area every time I hit a bump. The noise decreases about 90% with someone in the passenger seat. It increases when making a right turn. The 2 dealers that have looked at it have no idea where it is coming from and say Toyota does not have a "fix" for the problem. I love everything else about it. It handles like a dream, the ride is very comfortable, it has plenty of power and the 4 door long box is perfect for all your needs. LETS HOPE TOYOTA FIGURES OUT WHAT IS WRONG & COMES UP WITH A SOLUTION!!

What a truck!
By Ylekiot on 12/15/04 19:28 PM (PST)

2005 Toyota Tacoma 4dr Double Cab PreRunner V6 Rwd LB (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Bought it yesterday! Truck looks, rides and drives excellent.

TOYOTA DOES IT AGAIN
By blairway on 12/06/04 00:01 AM (PST)

2005 Toyota Tacoma 4dr Access Cab X-Runner V6 Rwd SB (4.0L 6cyl 6M)

This truck is solid. Ride and steering is better than past versions. Interior is a step up from past Toyota truck's. Gas mileage is about 18 mpg so far.

Toyota Does It Again!
By Rainman on 12/04/04 20:59 PM (PST)

2005 Toyota Tacoma 4dr Double Cab PreRunner V6 Rwd SB (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I've bought Toyotas off and on since 1982: 82' Tercel, '86 MR2, '01 Highlander, and now the '05 Tacoma PreRunner. The one constant in Toyota's engineering is that it keeps getting better and better. This upgrade to the Taco is no different. They are not resting on their laurels, and clearly want to retain their market share by creating an ingenious double cab with quality and features second to none. After only about 1200 miles of driving, I can tell this truck will be in my stable of vehicles for a long time ... well beyond the time it is paid off.

disappointed
By centralcal on 12/04/04 02:51 AM (PST)

2005 Toyota Tacoma 4dr Double Cab V6 4WD SB (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I can't believe how dissappointed I am with Toyota with this truck. I have never felt the need to post anything on any web site, but have done so on both the 05 Taco board and here tonight. This truck is not toyota quality. It is noisy and unrefined. Do not accept mediocrity. The engine noise is dreadful, the wind noise is not good. Drive a Tundra or a 4R and you will see what I mean. The ride is very pleasant from a suspension standpoint. The interior and stereo are excellent. I would bet this truck undergoes some changes (more sound buffering, better options), so do not buy this edition unless you have to.