2005 Toyota Tacoma - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Tacoma model:
One fun truck to drive/own
By jdw174 on 01/09/05 07:23 AM (PST)

2005 Toyota Tacoma 4dr Double Cab V6 4WD SB (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

One very fun truck to drive. With the V6 engine, this thing runs like a scared jackrabbit! Comfortable seating and even the standard sound system is better than the Bose I had I had in my last truck. However, I do find the engine to be rather noisy at times, especially under hard acceleration, and the gas mileage is lower than I expected, currently running about 16.5 mpg around town. Hopefully this will improve as the engine gets broken in more.

The Best Truck I have had!!!!
By Jason on 01/06/05 19:39 PM (PST)

2005 Toyota Tacoma 4dr Double Cab PreRunner V6 Rwd LB (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I absolutely love this truck! I had no idea what a great truck it was, I mean, I knew it was good just because of the Toyota name, but, IT IS AWESOME!!! I did all my research at Edmunds, and then I went to buy it. It has more power than my '01 Tacoma, and it handles much better now. The ride is comforting, almost like you are in a Camry. My wife is short, and she can drive it comfortably also. Great buy, and a good price too! Congrats Toyota, you have hit the spot!

2 cents worth
By Inmyopinion on 01/06/05 08:47 AM (PST)

2005 Toyota Tacoma 4dr Access Cab 4WD SB (2.7L 4cyl 5M)

The windows (front, rear, and side) are small. At ATM driveups its a LONG reach down and in wet weather will soak your armpit! The rear quarter windows should open for ventilation. Rearward visibility is poor thru a small back window over high bed sides and tailgate. Windshield is small with a LARGE hood limiting visibility of obstacles directly in front of bumper. (Nice BIG front bumper!) Seats sit almost flat on the floor and at 6'2" I felt rather aukward, yet they are comfortable. No need for tilt wheel as my knees were close in the full up position. Rear seats face forward but offer no leg room for adults, great for pets and kids. If your an adult I'd opt for a tundra if possible.

Major Improvement Over Previous Models
By Tacoma Bred on 01/02/05 22:57 PM (PST)

2005 Toyota Tacoma 4dr Double Cab V6 4WD SB (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I've had Toyota trucks for most of my adult life and have been disappointed by the lack of amenities in past versions. But, the 2005 version makes a huge leap forward. I'm now getting up into my late 40s and looking for a more refined truck that's reliable. The Titan actually had everything I was looking for. However, its ride was sub par and I could actually see the gas gage needle drop as I test drove it. I've always had a manual trans since I tend to be a control freak. But didn't like the Tacoma’s 6-spd (too many gears for all that power). I must say I have fallen in love w/ the auto – it’s a nice setup that I drive like a stick (designed by someone w/ a brain). I do recommend it.

Test Drive
By TooTall? on 01/02/05 22:31 PM (PST)

2005 Toyota Tacoma 4dr Access Cab V6 4WD SB (4.0L 6cyl 6M)

Well, I haven't bought one yet, but I drove it yesterday. I loved the 6- speed and the 4.0 V6, but the interior still seems cramped to me and my long legs (I'm only 6'2"). Maybe I'm not used to the high floor of a truck, but I don't see why my knees should be hitting both the steering wheel and the weird emergency brake handle sticking out of the dash. The seat doesn't go lower and the wheel was at its highest positon. I sat in a Colorado that didn't have this problem, but I'm so nervous about buying a Chevy I might have to settle for the Tacoma's tight driver's seat. On the plus side, I don't agree with the editor here who said the shifter was awkward - it, and the clutch, worked great!

Worth the the wait
By demoncleaner on 01/01/05 21:21 PM (PST)

2005 Toyota Tacoma 4dr Double Cab V6 4WD SB (4.0L 6cyl 6M)

Been in market for new 'midsize' truck for over a year. Always owned Ford or Chevy. Other trucks on market are NO comparision. Drive them first then the Taco. Got a TRD Sport pkg, 4x4, Double cab 5ft bed, with a 6spd manual (thank you Toyota). Took 7 weeks to get here after ordering. No electric driving aids (trac control, stability control) Very happy that they offered a 6 spd manual in a 4 door truck and still retained a 6500 lb towing cap. With 1200 miles no problems, Gas mileage as advertised, but run 89+ octane gas. On 87 she pings down low, and runs rough when on the gas, also I noticed better mileage on high octane

One awesome truck!
By Arthur on 01/01/05 14:27 PM (PST)

2005 Toyota Tacoma 4dr Access Cab V6 4WD SB (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I traded in my 2001 S-runner for the new 2005 model. The interior was completely overhauled for the 2005 edition. Compared to the old Tacoma, the 2005 is a lot more roomier, stylish, and alot more accessible. The access cab has a fold down passenger seat and four doors for easy loading. The 4.0L engine has a nice burst of power that comes in handy when needed. The composite bed liner seems very durable and it covers the bed rails helping to avoid paint damage. The 21 gallon fuel tank is great for long trips. Overall, I am very satisfied with my purchase and I highly recommend this vehicle if you are looking for a compact truck.

Going Foreign
By kimberly on 01/01/05 11:14 AM (PST)

2005 Toyota Tacoma 4dr Access Cab V6 4WD SB (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

This truck rides corners like no truck i have ever driven. it's like it's meant to stay 4 on the ground. my previous truck was a 4.3liter while this one is a 4.0 and it seems to have alot more power. sitting next to a dodge ram my truck is only 2 inches shorter looks the same width and is the same length. i really feel like i'm a giant in this thing. compared to the tundra it's not much smaller either. but alot less. i love the next interior i fell in love with it. and the access cab doors the open up will really be a help to put things in the back. headlights are nice they turn off when you open your door and the engine is off. can't lock door while key is in ignition. tons of pockets.

Great Truck
By dk on 12/28/04 15:37 PM (PST)

2005 Toyota Tacoma 4dr Double Cab V6 4WD SB (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

4x4 TRD Sport Package, JBL system...This is a very solid truck. Rides great, handles great. Definitely recommend the JBL 6-disc changer and speaker upgrade - sounds awesome. Have only had the truck for a week, but have put on several hundred miles for xmas traveling. Very comfortable for 4+ hour trips. Short bed is very easy to maneuver. Can't wait to hit the beaches and trails...

Builders Tacoma
By Jose E Duarte on 12/27/04 18:37 PM (PST)

2005 Toyota Tacoma 4dr Double Cab V6 4WD SB (4.0L 6cyl 6M)

It is night and day between the '04 and '05 Tacoma in terms of Size, Power and Comfort. The '05 Tacoma has a lot more leg and head room to accomodate larger occupants and the cabin does not have that claustrophobic feel to it. The Power was increased from 190hp in a 3.4L to 245hp in a 4.0L V6. Cruising at 70mph has the engine purring at 2500 rpm. Fuel consuption has been about 260 miles per tank. The seats have been redone to make them more comfortable. I was lucky to have been on the build team project from the drawing stage to actual production. I know first hand that the designers took into consideration a lot of the customers concerns and desires. This is the best truck Toyota has built.