Used 2005 Toyota Tacoma Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Toyota Tacoma - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Tacoma model:

PERSONAL EXPERIENCE
By RON MEISLER

2005 Toyota Tacoma 4dr Access Cab V6 4WD SB (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

All of the accolades about this truck are well deserved. I was waiting for a truck like this to hit the market for several years. I traded in my 1986 GMC pickup truck which I purchased new in 1986.

I like the handling, powerful acceleration and towing capacity in the mountains. I also like the riding comfort on the highway and interior of the cab.

Deeper drop down seats in the rear of the cab.

I like my new truck
By Dominic

2005 Toyota Tacoma 4dr Double Cab PreRunner V6 Rwd SB (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I haven't had it that long yet however I just took a 2000 mi round trip towing a trailer and a bed load. The truck performed great. Plus it's nice around town.

The engine is powerfull for a 6 cyl and i really like the looks of the TRD sports package I got.

The interior lighting is hard to see during the day. The locks don't chirp like most new cars so I'm always wondering if the locks worked. I purchased the roof rack, the factory rack isn't adjustable and it needs to be.

One month in
By Adam

2005 Toyota Tacoma 4dr Double Cab V6 4WD SB (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

The truck has performed well so far in every task that I have asked of it. The towing improvement over my last toyota pickup is amazing. I am still trying to keep my foot off of the gas to try and get the MPG up. The five speed auto tranny is great, but has a tendency to shift a lot when you have the cruise on. Way to go Toyota!

Improved power is the star of the day. The transmission is another feature that really stands out. The looks that you get from other drivers is great.

The steering wheel adjustments could really use another couple of inches movement in all directions.

Tacoma double cab prerunner
By Nelson Hernandez

2005 Toyota Tacoma 4dr Double Cab PreRunner V6 Rwd SB (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

So far, an excellent truck. Ride is great in the highway. Fuel economy is excellent with myself filling the tank every week and a half and I use the truck to go to work everyday with an avarage of 40 to 50 miles per day.

Space inside and all the extra compartments underneath the back seats.

Make all the hoods sport hoods like the one's in the X-runner.

New Tacoma: 21st Century Truck
By WMaddox

2005 Toyota Tacoma 4dr Double Cab V6 4WD SB (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Terrific Truck. My Tacoma makes me smile every day. Not a squeak, not a rattle, not a thump. I looked at the Nissan Frontier; it feels too truck- like compared to the Toyota. I also checked out the Honda Ridgeline and was discouraged by the 6K dealer markup & typical (and inexplicable) Honda styling effort. Although I believe all three are excellent buys. The "Taco" can do it all: drives like a car, plays in the dirt, and hauls the family or a pile of bricks with equal efficiency. The 5-speed automatic tranny is a dream, better mileage and 0-60 times than the 6-speed manual, go figure... Therefore, I'm no longer a stick shift only guy. Now I'm enjoying the lazy ("shiftless") lifestyle.

Good looks & performance, solid construction, comfortable car-like feel. Sport suspension is stable and tracks well. Steering boosted just right. Excellent 5-speed automatic. Perfect dimensions (4000 lbs/208 inches) for the modern family/work/sport vehicle. Uses regular unleaded.

Color selection and advertising are geared toward the teen crowd. Visibility is blocked by the goofy looking non-functional hood scoop on the Sport model. Stereo readout impossible to see while wearing sunglasses.