Used 2005 Toyota Tacoma Regular Cab Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Toyota Tacoma - Consumer Reviews

2005 Toyota Tacoma Regular Cab

View reviews for a specific Tacoma model:

Great Truck
By shock93

2005 Toyota Tacoma Regular Cab 2dr Regular Cab Rwd SB (2.7L 4cyl 5M)

Bought the 2005 Toyota Tacoma Base with A/C and 15" wheels, have not owned it long but a great truck. I had a 1985 Toyota Truck bought new and put 150k on the clock. If you a looking for an inexpensive vehicle for a homeowner this is it.

Favorite Features

Dash Board Style CD player/Radio Good A/C

Suggested Improvements

Clutch engagement is too high

Committed Toyota Driver
By Mark

2005 Toyota Tacoma Regular Cab 2dr Regular Cab Rwd SB (2.7L 4cyl 5M)

This is my third Toyota Pickup. They keep making their trucks better and better. The height makes you feel like it is a full size truck, but it's handling and manuverability lets you know it is compact. Love the composite bed. The power and acceleration in their 4 cyc. responds better than a lot of 6 cyls. They really know how to build engines. I've found as long as you keep up with the oil changes, you should not have any problems with Toyotas. One problem with it is I can be on the highway doing 65 mph and the truck is running so smooth and quiet, it takes me a minute to remember I forgot to shift out of third gear (not really a bad thing I guess). I recomend this truck to all my friends.

Favorite Features

The power of this 2.7 L engine is remarkable and the reliability of Toyotas can't be beat! Haven't had much of a chance of abusing it yet, but the composite bed seems like an excelent idea. Always hate getting the paint all scratched up. also handles as smooth as a lot of cars I've driven.

Suggested Improvements

The only improvement I can think of is the comfort of the bench seat. Maybe it's just me getting older? Wish they would have made a seating option for this basic model.

UGHHHH!!!!
By JJ

2005 Toyota Tacoma Regular Cab 2dr Regular Cab Rwd SB (2.7L 4cyl 5M)

While the truck does have towing capacity that is all it has, but it can't even do that at high speeds. Heck a golf cart can pull something, it just can't do it with any speed and neither can my Toyota truck. Gas milage is average for a truck. The interior is small compared to Mazda and Nissan. Also not very comfortable. Road noise is very loud. The body metal is even thinner than before and the vehicle can be dented just by leaning on it. Everything on a Toyota is an extra option costing you more money to upgrade. Toyota is relying on its name and reputation to sell there product instead of giving the customer options. I'm getting rid of my Toyota and getting a Nissan.

Favorite Features

NOTHING!!!

Suggested Improvements

Look at what the other companies are offering.

Third Toyota truck!
By Hobopoet

2005 Toyota Tacoma Regular Cab 2dr Regular Cab Rwd SB (2.7L 4cyl 5M)

In a word, excellent! I've driven trucks for a long time, American and Japanese, but this is the nicest! This is my third Toyota. I traded a 2001 Tundra for this one and I think I stepped up. This one will do everything I want done in a truck. I'm very pleased!

Favorite Features

Truck is solid, quiet and responsive. I'm very pleased, and a bit surprised, at the engine performance. This is at least a match for the 3.4 V6 I had in my Tundra.

Suggested Improvements

This is insignificant, but the aesthetics could be improved if the 15" wheels filled the wheel wells a bit more. But from inside, this doesn't matter at all. I anticipate a long, happy relationship with this truck.

Another Tacoma
By frank452661

2005 Toyota Tacoma Regular Cab 2dr Regular Cab Rwd SB (2.7L 4cyl 5M)

I'm very pleased with this truck. My last, 2.4 manual, had 137,000, no problems. This is quiet, well built, one hwy trip netted 28.4mpg. Combined driving in the 26mpg range. More than enough power to tow trailer and 4- wheeler.

Favorite Features

Easy access through two small rear doors. Removable tailgate. Comfortable and quiet ride. Good support from bucket seats. Nice interior layout with good quality materials.

Suggested Improvements

RPMs are too high when truck is started cold. Two dealers say this is normal for fast warm up, but I worry about wear on cold engine.