Used 2005 Toyota Tacoma Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Toyota Tacoma - Consumer Reviews

2005 Toyota Tacoma

View reviews for a specific Tacoma model:

Best truck I've ever had
By martin

2005 Toyota Tacoma 4dr Double Cab V6 4WD SB (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I bought this truck new in December 04. It is fun to offroad in, gives me about 18 mpg. This is a way better truck than any Chevy Dodge or Ford. I've only had 1 problem with it and it was the transmission. The transmission went bad because of bad driving habits. The Toyota dealer replaced it for free and gave me a free rental until it was complete. I tow a trailer full of dirt bikes up the mountains with no problem.

Favorite Features

the 4x4 power outlet in the bed the bedliner

Suggested Improvements

I'd like to see a new Tacoma with at least 20 mpg city

Cheap quality but fun
By jake

2005 Toyota Tacoma 4dr Access Cab X-Runner V6 Rwd SB (4.0L 6cyl 6M)

Bought used with 50,000 and now my transmission went out, clutch, shocks, and the grill flew off on the free way. It's still a blast to drive and I like the styling and the size with a six speed manual. It needs more horse power and insulation. Bumpy all most drove off the free way twice.

Favorite Features

looks, 6 speed

Suggested Improvements

shocks longer lasting transmission more insulation. it would be better if they made a higher quality x runner on top of the cheep one they make

Good truck
By ExcuseI!

2005 Toyota Tacoma 4dr Double Cab PreRunner V6 Rwd SB (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Bought used in 2008, have literally driven it across the country. (Truck has about 110k miles on it now) Avgs 16-25 mpg. Took it tailgating in the southeast with 4 adults and gear and got 25 mpg on highway in "mountainous" terrain of western NC and SC. The truck has been worry free over about 15k miles. The power from the V6 has been more than adequate with hauling rocks, dirt and plants/trees for homeowner "fun" and around town. I haven't towed with it. 60# dog fits in back of cab nicely as the seats fold flat and have a robust back. The cubbyholes behind and under the rear seats were borderline genius (they have become more common now, I think). The power outlet in truck bed is handy.

Favorite Features

Nice blend of SUV and truck features. TRD Off Road pkg looks nice (no fake scoop!) and offers locking rear diff (mine is 4x2) and ground clearance. Space and cubbyholes for things and people. Truck bed composite material (fine for my needs). Paint has held up very well as has underbody. Resale was good

Suggested Improvements

Fully box frame - shimmies over bigger bumps. DIESEL ENGINE PLEASE! Stereo in 2005 approaches awful. Bigger bed (deeper if not longer offered for TRD Off Road - only allow short bed). Better headlights. Wider rear door openings. I'd like a more utilitarian version offered w/ good mechanical "stuff"

Get one if you can find it.
By Danny

2005 Toyota Tacoma 4dr Double Cab V6 4WD SB (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Title speaks for itself. Looked for one for a long time and was glad I had patience. Bought an 06 Nissan Crew and it was ok, but in no way comparable to the TRD. Sweet truck Awesome deal

Favorite Features

Everything

Suggested Improvements

none

2005 Tacoma 2dr , 4cyl, access cab,
By dennis

2005 Toyota Tacoma 2dr Regular Cab Rwd SB (2.7L 4cyl 4A)

Very dependable. Have no complaints, only wished it would get better gas mileage. It seems to be very durable. No part failures or recalls on this one. All small trucks should have 16" wheels and leather seats. Tacoma 2dr 4 cyl. Does not. My concern at the present is, a vibration coming from the drive shaft, under acceleration. If a person wants or needs a small truck, this is the one.