Used 2005 Toyota Tacoma Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Toyota Tacoma - Consumer Reviews

2005 Toyota Tacoma

View reviews for a specific Tacoma model:

Not as impressed as I thought I'd be
By theyota

2005 Toyota Tacoma 4dr Access Cab 4WD SB (2.7L 4cyl 5M)

I love Toyotas. My experience with this one has been not as satisfactory as past. 7000 kms - all 4 hubs fell off. 14000 kms transmission needed replacing. 90 000 A/C compressor done and needs replacing- not under warranty and rare for this to go so early-very expensive part. Want to sell but don't want others to take on these issues if still to come. Toyota customer service was less than satisfactory on helping me with these issues. So surprised due to previous experience with Toyota. :(

Favorite Features

good size, nice interior

Suggested Improvements

5th seat belt in back

Needs new design
By jj

2005 Toyota Tacoma 4dr Access Cab PreRunner Rwd SB (2.7L 4cyl 5M)

The temp and compass above dashboard needs designed so you can read it in the daylight! Stock radio and cd player are junk, dealer quoted $700.00 to replace! Truck has great exterior design and looks great though!

05 X-Runner Awesome!
By baddaddy

2005 Toyota Tacoma 4dr Access Cab X-Runner V6 Rwd SB (4.0L 6cyl 6M)

Saw the X-Runner at the San Diego International auto show, immediately started searching. Had to wait for one to arrive, ended up being the first non speedway blue one in CA, or so I was told. Love it. Handling surprises many "sports car" drivers. Weak link was stereo, so I upgraded it. I get more looks than new Corvettes. Have not gotten this many thumbs up and comments since I owned my 66 GTO.

Favorite Features

Handling, handling, handling.

Suggested Improvements

Offer better stereo. Can't hear the stock one when the windows are down.

My '05 PreRunner 10 Years Later
By timztoytac

2005 Toyota Tacoma 4dr Access Cab PreRunner V6 Rwd SB (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Generally speaking, the Tacome is without a doubt the Best Looking Mid-Size Pickup out there. The 4.0L V6 is an excellent power plant with great acceleration and towing capability. The interior is average at best, although improvements have come on later models, it is stil very comfortable on long drives and easy to get Ina and out of. The handling capability for this truck is pretty solid around turns and the ride suspension is pretty decent as well. Obviously Tacomas Rule, because everywhere I go, I see them more than any other truck.

Favorite Features

Perhaps my most favorite feature is the Horsepower the 4.0L V6 produces. From a standstill to freeway speed, you feel it pulling very well. Passing speeds are just as good, with no hesitation, a quick downshift and BAM, away you go!!! Another of the features I love is the overall body style and look of the Tacoma. The fender flares and the grille are pretty awesome, especially with aftermarket rims and tires. But the overall design leaves the competition scratching their heads, I mean nothing comes close in the esthetic value. Perhaps this is why minimal changes have been made since it's inception in 2005. So far, after 10 years, I still love my truck!! Hoping to replace it soon.

Suggested Improvements

Everyone will agree that this truck is a Gas Hog!!! Driving like Grandma around town gets me 16MPG if I'm super slow and very lucky. The best HWY I ever got was 23MPG, with the help of a 55 MPH zone enforced by Radar. Otherwise, drivng like Speed Racer, drops overall mileage to a dismal 11MPG at best, but al lot of fun though! I had the unfortunate experience of my Pre-CATS going bad after the Federal Warranty period of 80K Miles by, get this, 1100 miles, and Toyota would not budge on it either!!!! Sucked for me because I had to replace them both for about $1,800 Total, of course, doing it myself. Toyota quoted me $3,200 for the job!!!! One more thing, the rear suspension SUCKS!!

I LOVE MY TRUCK!!!!!
By AnneS

2005 Toyota Tacoma 4dr Access Cab 4WD SB (2.7L 4cyl 5M)

I absolutely love my Tacoma. I opted for the 4 cylinder 4x4, manual transmission. Its fun to drive, and does pretty well on gas, except in the winter when my mpg takes a nosedive to about 17-19 (from about 22-24). We just put new tires on it because the tires that came with it weren't too good in the snow of upstate NY. This truck is perfect sized for me, at 5 feet 3 inches. My husband who is 6-2 also fits in it nicely, and can even ride in the back seats for shorter trips. We can fit everything we need, including the dog, for a weekend at camp in the cab of the truck.

Favorite Features

Storage compartments under the seats and in the bed. Composite bed. Nice rims. Easy to see out of. Easy and fun to drive.

Suggested Improvements

Lighted 4x4 switch line in for aux or mp3 player on stereo better tires on non TRD models.