2005 Toyota Tacoma Consumer Reviews 3

2005 Toyota Tacoma - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Tacoma model:
Not as impressed as I thought I'd be
By theyota on 02/15/09 00:57 AM (PST)

2005 Toyota Tacoma 4dr Access Cab 4WD SB (2.7L 4cyl 5M)

I love Toyotas. My experience with this one has been not as satisfactory as past. 7000 kms - all 4 hubs fell off. 14000 kms transmission needed replacing. 90 000 A/C compressor done and needs replacing- not under warranty and rare for this to go so early-very expensive part. Want to sell but don't want others to take on these issues if still to come. Toyota customer service was less than satisfactory on helping me with these issues. So surprised due to previous experience with Toyota. :(

Great truck
By Bigcoz43 on 11/15/08 06:44 AM (PST)

2005 Toyota Tacoma 2dr Regular Cab Rwd SB (2.7L 4cyl 5M)

Had a Chev. S-10 that fell apart driving down the road. Traded it for the Toyota and never had a problem. Just oil changes and normal maintenance. What a great truck.

Another Great Truck
By jknut on 10/31/08 11:34 AM (PDT)

2005 Toyota Tacoma 4dr Double Cab V6 4WD LB (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Toyota keeps building great machines. This one has been very reliable. 55mi and running strong. NEVER needed repairs outside of general maint. This truck offers all around versatility, good gas mileage (19 mpg- city or hwy), and great resale. Yes, this truck will cost you 2-3K more than a domestic, but it's well worth it.

I'd buy it again
By Longtermdirver on 07/31/08 17:26 PM (PDT)

2005 Toyota Tacoma 4dr Access Cab 4WD SB (2.7L 4cyl 5M)

I drive the LA frwys 95% of the time, best MPG is 19.97 and after 80k replaced the first set of Bridgstones to take a long desert trip, brakes still have over 50% wear left, not one major and very few minor issues. Love the way I sit, lots of room and I'm 6'4" 240lbs, never a sore back. Love the V6/6 speed even though I might not get out 2nd on the 405 for an hour. Am I crazy? Only complaint is the 4x4 switch which does not always work, dealer thinks I'm nuts. Won't always go in or out of 4 low on command.

Great MPG, Good Buy
By grant on 07/24/08 10:16 AM (PDT)

2005 Toyota Tacoma 4dr Double Cab V6 4WD SB (4.0L 6cyl 6M)

I bought My Tacoma about 2 months ago. I drive round trip 50 miles everyday. If I drive the truck the "right way" I get about 19-20 MPG. I do about 65% highway miles, 35% city driving. That's awesome for a truck w/a stout V6. So The power is really great. I have had 3 V8 trucks, 2 V6's, and this matches all of them. The transmission shifts awesome, can't even tell it is shifting. It rides like a car, and has great room and all kinds of hidden spaces for storage. I have 3 kids under 6 and it has great room for car seats. Styling is great, however I wish the tilt steering was better, not much adjustability. The dash gauges are awesome. I can get anything in the bed. I love it, great buy.

Mechanically Good; Poor Fit and Finish
By Nick on 05/31/08 12:13 PM (PDT)

2005 Toyota Tacoma 4dr Access Cab 4WD SB (2.7L 4cyl 5M)

First few months were a nightmare. Bought the truck when the model was brand new and still had a lot of bugs to work out. Was at the dealer for repairs at least once a week. The most significant problem was major paint flaking and chipping after only 5 weeks, just from driving in the snow on paved roads. Toyota would not admit that there was a problem with the paint. Most recently, at 53K, I have a frame that's rusting so badly that even 10-15 year old trucks I see on the road have frames that look much better. Again, Toyota claims there's nothing wrong with the paint on the frame. My final gripe is that the body dents and dings too easily--the sheet metal is just too thin.

Great Reliable Truck
By Jaime on 05/28/08 22:44 PM (PDT)

2005 Toyota Tacoma 4dr Access Cab PreRunner V6 Rwd SB (4.0L 6cyl 6M)

I got an Ext. Cab with TRD-Off Road Package. The truck is excellent in everyday driving. I drive through country roads with only 1 lane(in each direction) and find myself passing other trucks and vehicles all the time. Very dangerous but I have enough power to do it quickly! Very reliable truck, already have 50K in it and the engine and paint are as good as new. I drive fast and only get 17.5 MPG, but when I slow down I reach up to 19.5 MPG.

Great Truck
By Sold on 02/02/08 09:22 AM (PST)

2005 Toyota Tacoma 4dr Access Cab Rwd SB (2.7L 4cyl 5M)

Love everything about this truck.

Best Truck I've ever owned
By KC on 01/21/08 15:12 PM (PST)

2005 Toyota Tacoma 4dr Double Cab PreRunner V6 Rwd LB (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I purchased my truck as a demo model in 2006. It has been flawless. I have always owned domestic trucks in the past, mostly Fords. The build quality of the domestics pale in comparison to my Tacoma. I have 45,000 miles and every panel is as tight as the day I bought it. No squeaks, rattles, or faulty interior pieces. I absolutely love my truck, and can't imagine parting with it, unless I was replacing it with a new Tacoma.

Love My Baby
By Terri on 12/18/07 18:25 PM (PST)

2005 Toyota Tacoma 4dr Access Cab PreRunner V6 Rwd SB (4.0L 6cyl 6M)

I have dreamed about owning a Toy Truck since 1985 when Back To The Future came out. My parents got one back in the early 90s and I was insanely jealous and so when I totaled my car I got another car but my heart was set on the truck so I said I only have this one life so I broke down and bought it. I love how I feel when I'm driving and I get so many compliments on it and her name is Bagheera. She is a dream come true and I have never been happier.