2005 Access Cab Big Disappointment
By A.S. on
2005 Toyota Tacoma 4dr Access Cab PreRunner Rwd SB (2.7L 4cyl 5M)
I purchased my 2005 Tacoma Prerunner with 4-cyl/5M new after doing a lot of research from forums, specification reports, and going on test-drives. This is the model that looks like a 4- wheel-drive and has an extended cab (they call it the access cab). I can now say after having it for 17,000 miles that I am very disappointed in it for two reasons: actual vs. posted fuel mileage and wind noise with the latter being the primary reason I am selling it. I wanted only one vehicle to commute to work and haul music equipment. It had to be of high quality, above 25mpg highway fuel rating, and have adequate storage space (I assumed the ride would be reasonably quiet as are competitors models).
Favorite Features
There are many good things about the Tacoma and I hate to part with it for those reasons: 1) handles excellently, 2) mechanically very high quality, turning radius is unbelievably tight, 3) cargo area is perfect for my equipment, 4) drivers seat is very comfortable, 5) stereo is great sounding
Suggested Improvements
A few other points of dissatisfaction: 1) clutch-pedal depression length is too long, 2) steering wheel tilt span is too short (should go higher for easier exit), 3) factory running boards are nearly non-functional, 4) rear seats in access model are comfortable for dogs but not for kids (an inch more)