Used 2005 Toyota Tacoma Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Toyota Tacoma - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Tacoma model:
Cheap quality but fun
By jake on 05/06/10 21:24 PM (PDT)

2005 Toyota Tacoma 4dr Access Cab X-Runner V6 Rwd SB (4.0L 6cyl 6M)

Bought used with 50,000 and now my transmission went out, clutch, shocks, and the grill flew off on the free way. It's still a blast to drive and I like the styling and the size with a six speed manual. It needs more horse power and insulation. Bumpy all most drove off the free way twice.

Good truck
By ExcuseI! on 04/05/10 20:04 PM (PDT)

2005 Toyota Tacoma 4dr Double Cab PreRunner V6 Rwd SB (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Bought used in 2008, have literally driven it across the country. (Truck has about 110k miles on it now) Avgs 16-25 mpg. Took it tailgating in the southeast with 4 adults and gear and got 25 mpg on highway in "mountainous" terrain of western NC and SC. The truck has been worry free over about 15k miles. The power from the V6 has been more than adequate with hauling rocks, dirt and plants/trees for homeowner "fun" and around town. I haven't towed with it. 60# dog fits in back of cab nicely as the seats fold flat and have a robust back. The cubbyholes behind and under the rear seats were borderline genius (they have become more common now, I think). The power outlet in truck bed is handy.

Get one if you can find it.
By Danny on 04/03/10 15:58 PM (PDT)

2005 Toyota Tacoma 4dr Double Cab V6 4WD SB (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Title speaks for itself. Looked for one for a long time and was glad I had patience. Bought an 06 Nissan Crew and it was ok, but in no way comparable to the TRD. Sweet truck Awesome deal

2005 Tacoma 2dr , 4cyl, access cab,
By dennis on 03/08/10 06:18 AM (PST)

2005 Toyota Tacoma 2dr Regular Cab Rwd SB (2.7L 4cyl 4A)

Very dependable. Have no complaints, only wished it would get better gas mileage. It seems to be very durable. No part failures or recalls on this one. All small trucks should have 16" wheels and leather seats. Tacoma 2dr 4 cyl. Does not. My concern at the present is, a vibration coming from the drive shaft, under acceleration. If a person wants or needs a small truck, this is the one.

Big improvement over previous Taco's
By Donboy on 11/03/09 23:47 PM (PST)

2005 Toyota Tacoma 4dr Double Cab PreRunner V6 Rwd SB (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

This is a HUGE improvement over the earlier Taco's that were much smaller and had little wiggle room inside. Now Toyota has a real mid-size truck!! Incredible power that is just too tempting to ignore - will smoke most of 'em off the line. Beautiful styling inside and out, with some fine tuning over the years these will be a perfect truck!

Great buy
By Joseph on 09/22/09 08:25 AM (PDT)

2005 Toyota Tacoma 4dr Double Cab V6 4WD SB (4.0L 6cyl 6M)

Make it short and sweet. I bought my taco used with exactly 20000 miles on it. I was an All-American car buyer until this vehicle and still doubted the value when I got it (Great Deal on the buy). Since I've gotten the truck I've put 36,000+ on it and never done anything other then oil changes. I literally love this truck more and more everyday I drive it. I would recommend it to anyone looking to buy a 4dr truck. Gets great gas mileage for a truck; has plenty of power on the street and off roading. I've only owned 4x4's(3 Jeep's, Explorer, F150 & 250, Blazer), and this is definitely one of the best I've owned. All around great buy.

Like it more every day
By Greg on 08/16/09 19:20 PM (PDT)

2005 Toyota Tacoma 4dr Access Cab V6 4WD SB (4.0L 6cyl 6M)

I've driven 51000 mi. with only oil changes and nothing else needed so far. The interior has superior fit and finish, and in the Michigan winters it makes not a peep, and is a testament to the build quality. Great styling turns heads, and I still get compliments after 4+yrs. With half city and half hwy driving I get 17.5mpg in the winter and 20.8mpg in the summer. Nothing has ever failed to work, and it climbs like a billy goat off-road. When I push the accelerator-it moves like all get out; feels like a V8 (a powerful V8).

The best one yet
By justfine on 06/07/09 19:40 PM (PDT)

2005 Toyota Tacoma 4dr Double Cab V6 4WD SB (4.0L 6cyl 6M)

My '05 is my 3rd Tacoma in a row. Previously an '01, and before a '95. The road handling on this one is night and day difference than the other 2. It does everything that I ask off road and gets decent mileage, 18 around town and up to 26 on the highway. It's about 4 1/2 years old, 150,000 miles, and drives like new. Nothing but oil changes, tires and brakes so far!!!

Great Reliable Truck
By J Rivera on 04/25/09 18:03 PM (PDT)

2005 Toyota Tacoma 4dr Access Cab PreRunner V6 Rwd SB (4.0L 6cyl 6M)

Great truck all around. I drive 20K per year through mountain roads in Puerto Rico and currently have 65K. I had one minor leak with the power steering fluid that was covered by warranty. Other than that, the temperature/compass display was damaged a month ago is not covered by the extended warranty I purchased! It's a great solid truck. Very reliable and lots of aftermarket goodies to customize it and make it your own. I have performed all tune-ups at the dealer and have never been strained on the road. The average MPGs are 17.8 with a best of 20.7 and a worst of 16.7.

05 Tacoma
By Buffalonickel on 04/13/09 19:23 PM (PDT)

2005 Toyota Tacoma 4dr Double Cab V6 4WD LB (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

We have hauled 4 adults @ a time, pulled a trailer hauling a Harley all over the country, filled the bed with rocks, logs, mulch, topsoil, and I drive to work each day. We live in the Ozarks, so none of our roads are straight, flat, or smooth. The local mileage is 18 mpg and on a flat Highway 55/39 in Illinois or 70 through Kansas mileage climbed to 24 mpg running at 75 with the AC cooling me to a chill in 90 degree heat. The only complaint I have is the alarm system was futzed up and we had to install an aftermarket system. And that bed is made out of plastic. I want a steel bed with solid anchors like my old Hilux. So all-in-all this truck has been very easy to own. 60,000 miles!