2005 Toyota Tacoma Double Cab - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Tacoma model:
Huge Improvement over previous
By Skylandry on 01/10/05 16:36 PM (PST)

2005 Toyota Tacoma Double Cab 4dr Double Cab V6 4WD SB (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I owned a 2000 Frontier and a 2002 Tacoma crew cab 4wd. The 2005 is light years ahead of the both. Ride, comfort and inside finish are excellent. I compared it to the Nissan which had much to offer but the ride and seats were marginal. If you want a compact 4wd truck, the Tacoma is the best truck/value in the game. This truck is even great for long highway commutes. Only thing they need to add is the power window in the back like the Tundra.

not so bad
By Cleve Miller on 01/10/05 10:32 AM (PST)

2005 Toyota Tacoma Double Cab 4dr Double Cab V6 4WD LB (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

It's a good truck that has a lot of power behind it. Also it handles like a car unlike most trucks that handle like its an 18 wheeler. The interior design is futuristic and sporty. This thing is rugged and seems like it can take a lot of beating.

One fun truck to drive/own
By jdw174 on 01/09/05 07:23 AM (PST)

2005 Toyota Tacoma Double Cab 4dr Double Cab V6 4WD SB (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

One very fun truck to drive. With the V6 engine, this thing runs like a scared jackrabbit! Comfortable seating and even the standard sound system is better than the Bose I had I had in my last truck. However, I do find the engine to be rather noisy at times, especially under hard acceleration, and the gas mileage is lower than I expected, currently running about 16.5 mpg around town. Hopefully this will improve as the engine gets broken in more.

The Best Truck I have had!!!!
By Jason on 01/06/05 19:39 PM (PST)

2005 Toyota Tacoma Double Cab 4dr Double Cab PreRunner V6 Rwd LB (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I absolutely love this truck! I had no idea what a great truck it was, I mean, I knew it was good just because of the Toyota name, but, IT IS AWESOME!!! I did all my research at Edmunds, and then I went to buy it. It has more power than my '01 Tacoma, and it handles much better now. The ride is comforting, almost like you are in a Camry. My wife is short, and she can drive it comfortably also. Great buy, and a good price too! Congrats Toyota, you have hit the spot!

Major Improvement Over Previous Models
By Tacoma Bred on 01/02/05 22:57 PM (PST)

2005 Toyota Tacoma Double Cab 4dr Double Cab V6 4WD SB (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I've had Toyota trucks for most of my adult life and have been disappointed by the lack of amenities in past versions. But, the 2005 version makes a huge leap forward. I'm now getting up into my late 40s and looking for a more refined truck that's reliable. The Titan actually had everything I was looking for. However, its ride was sub par and I could actually see the gas gage needle drop as I test drove it. I've always had a manual trans since I tend to be a control freak. But didn't like the Tacoma’s 6-spd (too many gears for all that power). I must say I have fallen in love w/ the auto – it’s a nice setup that I drive like a stick (designed by someone w/ a brain). I do recommend it.

Worth the the wait
By demoncleaner on 01/01/05 21:21 PM (PST)

2005 Toyota Tacoma Double Cab 4dr Double Cab V6 4WD SB (4.0L 6cyl 6M)

Been in market for new 'midsize' truck for over a year. Always owned Ford or Chevy. Other trucks on market are NO comparision. Drive them first then the Taco. Got a TRD Sport pkg, 4x4, Double cab 5ft bed, with a 6spd manual (thank you Toyota). Took 7 weeks to get here after ordering. No electric driving aids (trac control, stability control) Very happy that they offered a 6 spd manual in a 4 door truck and still retained a 6500 lb towing cap. With 1200 miles no problems, Gas mileage as advertised, but run 89+ octane gas. On 87 she pings down low, and runs rough when on the gas, also I noticed better mileage on high octane

Great Truck
By dk on 12/28/04 15:37 PM (PST)

2005 Toyota Tacoma Double Cab 4dr Double Cab V6 4WD SB (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

4x4 TRD Sport Package, JBL system...This is a very solid truck. Rides great, handles great. Definitely recommend the JBL 6-disc changer and speaker upgrade - sounds awesome. Have only had the truck for a week, but have put on several hundred miles for xmas traveling. Very comfortable for 4+ hour trips. Short bed is very easy to maneuver. Can't wait to hit the beaches and trails...

Builders Tacoma
By Jose E Duarte on 12/27/04 18:37 PM (PST)

2005 Toyota Tacoma Double Cab 4dr Double Cab V6 4WD SB (4.0L 6cyl 6M)

It is night and day between the '04 and '05 Tacoma in terms of Size, Power and Comfort. The '05 Tacoma has a lot more leg and head room to accomodate larger occupants and the cabin does not have that claustrophobic feel to it. The Power was increased from 190hp in a 3.4L to 245hp in a 4.0L V6. Cruising at 70mph has the engine purring at 2500 rpm. Fuel consuption has been about 260 miles per tank. The seats have been redone to make them more comfortable. I was lucky to have been on the build team project from the drawing stage to actual production. I know first hand that the designers took into consideration a lot of the customers concerns and desires. This is the best truck Toyota has built.

Best Tacoma Yet!
By L Smith on 12/23/04 23:00 PM (PST)

2005 Toyota Tacoma Double Cab 4dr Double Cab PreRunner V6 Rwd LB (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

This is the third toyota truck owned. By far this is the best Tacoma. Traded 97 Tacoma standard cab w/127k miles, never a problem. This new tacoma is a hit! Great new size and good power. Very comfortable seats front and rear. Rear seat back is very comfortable even for larger passengers. Like the telescoping tilt wheel. Love the new composite bed. Adjustable bed rail system very convienient. This truck turns heads. After several tanks full, getting 22 mpg hwy, 20 city as displayed on sticker. 245 hp auto tranny great combo, smooth shifting, plenty of power. TRD off road pkg is worth the money. Good comfortable ride for a truck. Toyota quality shows in and out.

Meeting the road
By Richard Hackney on 12/21/04 02:06 AM (PST)

2005 Toyota Tacoma Double Cab 4dr Double Cab PreRunner V6 Rwd LB (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I have owned a basic Tacoma pickup since 1998. It is a great vehicle that has just turned 100,000 miles. The only service that has ever been done is oil, tires and battery. I changed the brakes one time. I have been thinking about upgrading to a Tundra for about a year but when I saw the 2005 Tacoma I stopped looking. Earlier this month I bought a SR5, Double Cab, Long Bed. It is a pure pleasure to drive. I commute approximately 40 miles one way to work and the difference between the 1998 and 2005 models is incredible. Of course, I got all of the goodies -- cruise control, bucket seats, variable speed wipers, fog lights, etc. Let the road beware!!!!