Used 2005 Toyota Tacoma Double Cab Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Toyota Tacoma Double Cab - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Tacoma model:

One month in
By Adam

2005 Toyota Tacoma Double Cab 4dr Double Cab V6 4WD SB (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

The truck has performed well so far in every task that I have asked of it. The towing improvement over my last toyota pickup is amazing. I am still trying to keep my foot off of the gas to try and get the MPG up. The five speed auto tranny is great, but has a tendency to shift a lot when you have the cruise on. Way to go Toyota!

Improved power is the star of the day. The transmission is another feature that really stands out. The looks that you get from other drivers is great.

The steering wheel adjustments could really use another couple of inches movement in all directions.

Tacoma double cab prerunner
By Nelson Hernandez

2005 Toyota Tacoma Double Cab 4dr Double Cab PreRunner V6 Rwd SB (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

So far, an excellent truck. Ride is great in the highway. Fuel economy is excellent with myself filling the tank every week and a half and I use the truck to go to work everyday with an avarage of 40 to 50 miles per day.

Space inside and all the extra compartments underneath the back seats.

Make all the hoods sport hoods like the one's in the X-runner.

New Tacoma: 21st Century Truck
By WMaddox

2005 Toyota Tacoma Double Cab 4dr Double Cab V6 4WD SB (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Terrific Truck. My Tacoma makes me smile every day. Not a squeak, not a rattle, not a thump. I looked at the Nissan Frontier; it feels too truck- like compared to the Toyota. I also checked out the Honda Ridgeline and was discouraged by the 6K dealer markup & typical (and inexplicable) Honda styling effort. Although I believe all three are excellent buys. The "Taco" can do it all: drives like a car, plays in the dirt, and hauls the family or a pile of bricks with equal efficiency. The 5-speed automatic tranny is a dream, better mileage and 0-60 times than the 6-speed manual, go figure... Therefore, I'm no longer a stick shift only guy. Now I'm enjoying the lazy ("shiftless") lifestyle.

Good looks & performance, solid construction, comfortable car-like feel. Sport suspension is stable and tracks well. Steering boosted just right. Excellent 5-speed automatic. Perfect dimensions (4000 lbs/208 inches) for the modern family/work/sport vehicle. Uses regular unleaded.

Color selection and advertising are geared toward the teen crowd. Visibility is blocked by the goofy looking non-functional hood scoop on the Sport model. Stereo readout impossible to see while wearing sunglasses.

After much research
By Doug

2005 Toyota Tacoma Double Cab 4dr Double Cab PreRunner V6 Rwd LB (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

First, let me say that I have done a great deal of research of this truck and it was worth it. I took a long weekend trip after purchasing it and the ride was not only smooth, but comfortable. Toyota designers came up with a very ergonomical interior with loads of hidden space for extras. The visibility for the drive is great once you get used to the length of the hood and bed.(It took me about a good week!) A suprise to me was the acceleration. It is so quiet that you do not realize that you accelerated until you look down and see the speedometer. Overall, this is a great truck.

I love the turning radius of this truck and the way it handles downhill mountain roads. The rear seats that double as tables is a plus especially if you travel alot and the best feature I like is the elec. socket in the bed. Can you say scary DVD movies in the woods?

The turn signals can be a little louder and the temp/direction and time indicators can be brighter in the day. Also, a armrest would be nice especially for us height challenged individuals, but these are minor compared to the overall quality of the truck. Thanks Edmunds & Toyota!!!

what a great 1st truck!
By phil

2005 Toyota Tacoma Double Cab 4dr Double Cab PreRunner V6 Rwd SB (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I am very impressed. I drive a 2005 Mercedes 320 CLK Cabriolet for my everyday driver, but this truck is becoming my favorite ride! The wife & I "fight" over who will drive it to work. We got the speedway blue, with the TRD offroad upgrade, and get compliments wherever we go. Love the Toyota quality & reliability. I expect this truck to last us for many years.

lots of storage & cupholders. Can tow more than I'll need. Enough power to quickly get up to highway speed. Powerful AC for extra hot Las Vegas summers.

GPS Navigation I've grown used to in my other cars.