2005 Toyota Tacoma Access Cab - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Tacoma model:
My first foreign
By Kimmy on 01/20/05 11:07 AM (PST)

2005 Toyota Tacoma Access Cab 4dr Access Cab V6 4WD SB (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I love the new dash, the new bed is really nice, no need to buy a bed liner. I'm already getting 17 mpg city driving, it can only get better. Warms up in the matter of minutes. Can't lock my keys in it, the doors won't lock with the key in the ignition. I love it, rides really smooth. Feels like I'm in a car.

A Better Tacoma
By Tom F. on 01/13/05 13:28 PM (PST)

2005 Toyota Tacoma Access Cab 4dr Access Cab Rwd SB (2.7L 4cyl 4A)

I had a 1999 Tacoma and the 2005 is a much nicer truck in every respect. I am very happy with it so far. It has more power, more room, and a much nicer interior than the '99. The ride is very car like and the handling is very good. I got 24 mpg on the first tank of gas. The transmission shifts very smoothly and the brakes are strong. The composite box and movable tie down anchors are a very well done.

2 cents worth
By Inmyopinion on 01/06/05 08:47 AM (PST)

2005 Toyota Tacoma Access Cab 4dr Access Cab 4WD SB (2.7L 4cyl 5M)

The windows (front, rear, and side) are small. At ATM driveups its a LONG reach down and in wet weather will soak your armpit! The rear quarter windows should open for ventilation. Rearward visibility is poor thru a small back window over high bed sides and tailgate. Windshield is small with a LARGE hood limiting visibility of obstacles directly in front of bumper. (Nice BIG front bumper!) Seats sit almost flat on the floor and at 6'2" I felt rather aukward, yet they are comfortable. No need for tilt wheel as my knees were close in the full up position. Rear seats face forward but offer no leg room for adults, great for pets and kids. If your an adult I'd opt for a tundra if possible.

Test Drive
By TooTall? on 01/02/05 22:31 PM (PST)

2005 Toyota Tacoma Access Cab 4dr Access Cab V6 4WD SB (4.0L 6cyl 6M)

Well, I haven't bought one yet, but I drove it yesterday. I loved the 6- speed and the 4.0 V6, but the interior still seems cramped to me and my long legs (I'm only 6'2"). Maybe I'm not used to the high floor of a truck, but I don't see why my knees should be hitting both the steering wheel and the weird emergency brake handle sticking out of the dash. The seat doesn't go lower and the wheel was at its highest positon. I sat in a Colorado that didn't have this problem, but I'm so nervous about buying a Chevy I might have to settle for the Tacoma's tight driver's seat. On the plus side, I don't agree with the editor here who said the shifter was awkward - it, and the clutch, worked great!

One awesome truck!
By Arthur on 01/01/05 14:27 PM (PST)

2005 Toyota Tacoma Access Cab 4dr Access Cab V6 4WD SB (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I traded in my 2001 S-runner for the new 2005 model. The interior was completely overhauled for the 2005 edition. Compared to the old Tacoma, the 2005 is a lot more roomier, stylish, and alot more accessible. The access cab has a fold down passenger seat and four doors for easy loading. The 4.0L engine has a nice burst of power that comes in handy when needed. The composite bed liner seems very durable and it covers the bed rails helping to avoid paint damage. The 21 gallon fuel tank is great for long trips. Overall, I am very satisfied with my purchase and I highly recommend this vehicle if you are looking for a compact truck.

Going Foreign
By kimberly on 01/01/05 11:14 AM (PST)

2005 Toyota Tacoma Access Cab 4dr Access Cab V6 4WD SB (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

This truck rides corners like no truck i have ever driven. it's like it's meant to stay 4 on the ground. my previous truck was a 4.3liter while this one is a 4.0 and it seems to have alot more power. sitting next to a dodge ram my truck is only 2 inches shorter looks the same width and is the same length. i really feel like i'm a giant in this thing. compared to the tundra it's not much smaller either. but alot less. i love the next interior i fell in love with it. and the access cab doors the open up will really be a help to put things in the back. headlights are nice they turn off when you open your door and the engine is off. can't lock door while key is in ignition. tons of pockets.

TRD Off Road Package #2 (OG)
By Jim on 12/25/04 23:35 PM (PST)

2005 Toyota Tacoma Access Cab 4dr Access Cab V6 4WD SB (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I have only had this truck a week and have 700 miles on it. It was pretty hard to get a 4X4 down here in Southern California. I had been searching about a month. When FINALLY a white one with the TRD Off Road package #2 (OG) hit ONE dealership. I took it up to Big Bear yesterday to check out the low range gearing and to try out the magic "Locker Button" (the rear differential lock). All went well and I am pretty happy with the truck so far. I figure mileage will improve some when the truck has a few thousand more miles on it. It's closer to 17 than 20 mpg. I am glad I waited for the white paint, I feel it looks better than the silver that they seem to be pumping out of the factory.

Great Truck!
By NICK on 12/24/04 15:29 PM (PST)

2005 Toyota Tacoma Access Cab 4dr Access Cab V6 4WD SB (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I traded in my 04 Dakota for the Tacoma because the Dakota would bounce and hop like a pogo stick. The Tacoma is smooth and powerful and maintains control over even the worst road conditions. The only problem I've had so far (and alot of people are having the same problem) is an out-of-alignment cab mount bolt that rattles over bumps, but once you finally find where the noise is coming from, it should be a simple matter of re-bolting it. Overall visibility is excellent. The stock sound system is pretty good, as far as stockers go. I love the seats on the TRD package--the side bolsters really help through fast curves. Overall, it's one great truck. And it's FAST!

Excellent small truck
By Patrick on 12/19/04 06:13 AM (PST)

2005 Toyota Tacoma Access Cab 4dr Access Cab PreRunner V6 Rwd SB (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

The new styling is outstanding and larger than previous models. Power is excellent, and room inside the cabin is very good I am 75". Not very good gas mileage and engine makes lots of noise under heavy acceleration. Overall I love my truck

TOYOTA DOES IT AGAIN
By blairway on 12/06/04 00:01 AM (PST)

2005 Toyota Tacoma Access Cab 4dr Access Cab X-Runner V6 Rwd SB (4.0L 6cyl 6M)

This truck is solid. Ride and steering is better than past versions. Interior is a step up from past Toyota truck's. Gas mileage is about 18 mpg so far.