Used 2005 Toyota Tacoma Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Toyota Tacoma - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Tacoma model:

Very great truck!
By jeremy_good

2005 Toyota Tacoma 4dr Double Cab V6 4WD SB (4.0L 6cyl 6M)

I've got 90/10 good and bad reviews. I like the radio, which I have the V6 SR5 4x4 model with the TRD Off-Road pck, and nothing more I could say about how great it is to drive! The manual transmission, though, I got to say that I don't like. I hear a slight thump whenever the gear's lever hits the end of the outline of the transmission gear shifter. The speaker system is bad and rad. It make the volume feel like it's at 30 when it's really on 18!

Favorite Features

Absolutely love the radio system and speakers. Love how powerful the engine is.

Suggested Improvements

I wish they'd get rid of the manual transmission and keep the automatic.

Great glorified wheelbarrow
By gashley2

2005 Toyota Tacoma 4dr Access Cab PreRunner V6 Rwd SB (4.0L 6cyl 6M)

I bought my 2005 Toyota tacoma SR5 4.0L 6 speed 4 years ago. I really like the truck! In the entire time I have had it I have NEVER had to do anything to it period. I have only had to change the oil and put gas in it, thats it. You couldn't ask for a more reliable truck! The engine is strong and the 6 speed manual never skips a beat. I currently have 112,000 miles on it and have never had to do anything to it. However, I DO NOT like the composite bed has no tie downs for heavy items. THE TAILGATE IS UTTER CRAP and can not handle any weight had to replace mine. And doesnt get the best milage. I only get 15MPG at best my old ford V8 gets a lot better mpg's.

Favorite Features

Handles great on the snow. With these Utah and Wyoming winters this thing never skips a beat. I have an AWD Land Rover that doesn't handle this good on snow. Tacoma is light in the rear so throw some sand bags in the back and you're good to go without having to run in 4WD all winter. Drives nice and Handles great. Looks really nice and is pretty comfortable. If you are a taller person in the torso like I am you might feel odd in the cab. seems like rear-view mirror is always in the field of view and dont use the passenger side of the windshield much. 4WD system works flawlessly every time.

Suggested Improvements

NEEDS BETTER FUEL MILEAGE!!! MPG is my biggest complaint. It is a glorified wheelbarrow, you're not going to be able to haul big loads or carry lots of stuff in the little bed. No tie downs for heavy items. Track system isn't strong enough to tie down heavy things the track begins to flex with too much tightening with ratchet straps etc... The access cab is tight and not much room for adults in the back seat. Fiberglass bed is Awful!!! The non structural tailgate is awful and expensive to replace at $500 without being painted.

Great Truck no perfect 2005
By kimon101

2005 Toyota Tacoma 4dr Double Cab PreRunner V6 Rwd LB (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

At 80,000 miles after towing a car on a dolly 1500 miles one universal joint went out. Replaced all 3. Replaced one wheel barring (so far). Cab fan motor went out, replaced, then fan motor connector failed due to heat. Replaced connector with GM part, exactly the same only less expensive. Rear leaf springs are weak, not much weight in bed and spring bumpers are almost on the axle. In cab navigation and temp indicator failed. Poor factory solder job on components, I re soldered and is still working fine. Mesh style seat material stains easily and is hard to clean. At 148K still looking good.

Favorite Features

Storage compartments. Cool hood scoop ( performs no real function). Speedway blue metallic color is cool. Fun to drive.

Suggested Improvements

I would recommend Toyota upgrade the rear drum breaks to disc brakes, I have felt longer breaking distances are necessary at times. Increase load capacity on leaf springs.

lier lier toyota shame on you..
By teakrob

2005 Toyota Tacoma 4dr Double Cab V6 4WD LB (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I bought it in 05 for about $33,000.00 This truck with 50K miles is a money pitt. The service is way over priced. The recalls lists are long yet are minor compared to the list of problems toyota dosnt cover. 1 frame is so weak that it CAVED IN AT THE MOTOR MOUNTS. The result 8 weeks in the shop countless calls to toyota and b/s forever to have them say I need a new frame and it would be around $13,000 to repair my truck what a joke, not a funny one. 2 Newest problem @ 86Kmiles bad cats all four, around $5000.00 to replace. 5 weeks in shop to have them tell me that toyota will cover $1000.00 of it after I pay in full. I can't afford it and no smog w/light on so Im SOL save your money

Favorite Features

Good off-road but will fall apar around weak frame expensive service and a company that spits in ther customers face if the have a problem

Suggested Improvements

Well I need to have about $20,000.00 in repairs afer $33,000 purchase price and a grand total of 86kmiles i would suggest jumping off a building before buying another cheaply built with low quality paper thin steel frame expensive service and a company that only wants to sell sell sell with a no stand behind our sub standard product attitude. Problems that are terminal, expensive and dangerous to the consumer. My suggestion is for toyota TO GO TO HELL !!!!!! I WOULD NOT REFER ANYONE TO BUY THIS CRAP. THEY (TOYOTA) SHOULD BE SUED BY EVERYONE WHO OWNS THIS TRUCK.. I WOULD NO GIVE THEM THE [non-permissible content removed] TOYOTA I FOR ONE USED TO LOVE YOU 1ST 50KMI. NOW I HATE YOU. ROB O. CA DONT BUY!

158,000 miles and still going strong
By mar18

2005 Toyota Tacoma 2dr Regular Cab Rwd SB (2.7L 4cyl 4A)

love my pickup. i drive it alot and its never given me trouble. i sometimes carry heavy loads in it and it never struggles, does a really good job. gas mileage could be better but not bad.(26mpg combined)

Favorite Features

relieable drivetrain

Suggested Improvements

mileage and interior space.