Used 2005 Toyota Tacoma PreRunner Regular Cab Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Toyota Tacoma - Consumer Reviews

2005 Toyota Tacoma Regular Cab

View reviews for a specific Tacoma model:

Beware of Delphi Battery
By John

2005 Toyota Tacoma Regular Cab 2dr Regular Cab PreRunner Rwd SB (2.7L 4cyl 5M)

Great truck; however, the GM parts contribution of the Delphi battery spewed battery acid all over the inner fender and hood. $836 (warranty paid) and two weeks later (in a rental car, also warranty paid) the body shop is still trying to repair the damage. So, including the battery the total cost to repair is about $1306, or 8% of the purchase price. Other than that I love the truck and can't wait until I get it back. I suggest not taking delivery until the GM battery is changed out.

Favorite Features

Handles extremly well. Just fun to drive.

Suggested Improvements

Eliminate the Delphi battery, use a metal clutch pedal to eliminate the plastic or composite pedal squeking as it flexes under load.

Great Truck
By Michael

2005 Toyota Tacoma Regular Cab 2dr Regular Cab PreRunner Rwd SB (2.7L 4cyl 5M)

I purchased a prerunner with the SR5 package. 2 wheel drive, 5 spd., 4cyl. The fit and finish are the best of any truck I compared. The power is good and it's fun to drive. Very nice interior with lots of room. A very nice truck for little money with great gas mileage.

Favorite Features

Great gas mileage, wonderful stereo. Great interior.

Suggested Improvements

5 spd is a little hard to shift.

Nice Cheap Truck (Inexpensive)
By Glen

2005 Toyota Tacoma Regular Cab 2dr Regular Cab PreRunner Rwd SB (2.7L 4cyl 5M)

I was planning on buying a new Tacoma this year, I just happened to get lucky with the restyling for 2005. The truck looks as good as any truck out there, and looks like a "real" truck. Before making my decision I looked at used trucks of all kinds...outrageous prices for somebody elses high mileage monster. I was pleasently surprised to find I could buy a brand new Tacoma for around 16 Grand (people are selling their used Tacoma's for more). I got the PreRunner 4 cylinder because it was cheap and so am I, and I get the added benefit of good fuel mileage. Of course before receiving the truck I was concerned about H.P. envy, the truck has pleanty of power and drives great. No envy.

Favorite Features

Though the Regular cab PreRunner is a pretty basic beast (even with the SR5 package), every thing is done in an excellent basic fashion. The truck handles well, the four cylinder will do everything it's supposed to do and in a grander fashion than I was anticipating.

Suggested Improvements

I can't complain for the price, in Greedy fashion I could say better speakers maybe, or height adjustable seats. Oh...composite bed is a slippery eel, but beautiful...just needs rubber mat. The truck is well thought out. Biggest problem is I want to drive it and not work...Life's tough.