2005 Toyota Tacoma Regular Cab - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Tacoma model:
Great truck
By Bigcoz43 on 11/15/08 06:44 AM (PST)

2005 Toyota Tacoma Regular Cab 2dr Regular Cab Rwd SB (2.7L 4cyl 5M)

Had a Chev. S-10 that fell apart driving down the road. Traded it for the Toyota and never had a problem. Just oil changes and normal maintenance. What a great truck.

Third Toyota!
By Hobopoet on 03/28/06 03:59 AM (PST)

2005 Toyota Tacoma Regular Cab 2dr Regular Cab Rwd SB (2.7L 4cyl 5M)

This is my third Toyota Truck. I've owned a '92 standard, a '01 Tundra, and now this one. I can't imagine a better overall vehicle! I own a courier service, and I'm planning on appearing in one of those "I got 500,000 miles and I'm still rolling!" ads. The new 2.7 engine is a marvel; it feels more powerful than the 3.4 six in my Tundra. I have no doubt this truck will do everything I ask and more!

Selling it
By Mark777 on 01/04/06 19:02 PM (PST)

2005 Toyota Tacoma Regular Cab 2dr Regular Cab Rwd SB (2.7L 4cyl 5M)

Owned many Toyota models and this is my biggest disappointment. Interior parts scratch easily. Wildly revving cold engine starts. Touchy clutch. Transmission very hard to down-shift into first when cold unless you are at a stop. When you finally get it in gear you will most likely smash your knuckles into the sharp edge the designer felt was practical to leave on the dash at the end of the shift lever's travel. A horror story for short driver/tall passenger combos. Knees will be smashed into the space hogging dashboard. Would it have killed Toyota's bottom line to put a split bench in this vehicle? If you are looking at this truck, do yourself a favor and get the Access cab.

Regular Cab 4 cyl manual
By Scott on 12/23/05 14:11 PM (PST)

2005 Toyota Tacoma Regular Cab 2dr Regular Cab Rwd SB (2.7L 4cyl 5M)

I am 6'4". I fit in the truck just fine, the problem is little room for my size 14 shoes, the toes hit the bottom of the dash. The telescoping steering wheel needs to come another 2-3" farther away from the dash. As is, with the seat all the way back, my arms at 10&4 are nearly straight, not that comfortable. In 5th gear, the stick knob is in the way of the temperature control. The gears are vague with the need to double clutch to get it into first at times. Otherwise, I am happy with the truck. There is plenty of power with the benefit of good gas mileage. Bed is great but cargo will skate around on slick surface. I'm hoping the frame won't rust in ten years.

Great Truck
By shock93 on 07/06/05 15:37 PM (PDT)

2005 Toyota Tacoma Regular Cab 2dr Regular Cab Rwd SB (2.7L 4cyl 5M)

Bought the 2005 Toyota Tacoma Base with A/C and 15" wheels, have not owned it long but a great truck. I had a 1985 Toyota Truck bought new and put 150k on the clock. If you a looking for an inexpensive vehicle for a homeowner this is it.

Committed Toyota Driver
By Mark on 06/29/05 14:14 PM (PDT)

2005 Toyota Tacoma Regular Cab 2dr Regular Cab Rwd SB (2.7L 4cyl 5M)

This is my third Toyota Pickup. They keep making their trucks better and better. The height makes you feel like it is a full size truck, but it's handling and manuverability lets you know it is compact. Love the composite bed. The power and acceleration in their 4 cyc. responds better than a lot of 6 cyls. They really know how to build engines. I've found as long as you keep up with the oil changes, you should not have any problems with Toyotas. One problem with it is I can be on the highway doing 65 mph and the truck is running so smooth and quiet, it takes me a minute to remember I forgot to shift out of third gear (not really a bad thing I guess). I recomend this truck to all my friends.

UGHHHH!!!!
By JJ on 06/26/05 08:11 AM (PDT)

2005 Toyota Tacoma Regular Cab 2dr Regular Cab Rwd SB (2.7L 4cyl 5M)

While the truck does have towing capacity that is all it has, but it can't even do that at high speeds. Heck a golf cart can pull something, it just can't do it with any speed and neither can my Toyota truck. Gas milage is average for a truck. The interior is small compared to Mazda and Nissan. Also not very comfortable. Road noise is very loud. The body metal is even thinner than before and the vehicle can be dented just by leaning on it. Everything on a Toyota is an extra option costing you more money to upgrade. Toyota is relying on its name and reputation to sell there product instead of giving the customer options. I'm getting rid of my Toyota and getting a Nissan.

Third Toyota truck!
By Hobopoet on 06/25/05 07:24 AM (PDT)

2005 Toyota Tacoma Regular Cab 2dr Regular Cab Rwd SB (2.7L 4cyl 5M)

In a word, excellent! I've driven trucks for a long time, American and Japanese, but this is the nicest! This is my third Toyota. I traded a 2001 Tundra for this one and I think I stepped up. This one will do everything I want done in a truck. I'm very pleased!

Another Tacoma
By frank452661 on 05/20/05 14:18 PM (PDT)

2005 Toyota Tacoma Regular Cab 2dr Regular Cab Rwd SB (2.7L 4cyl 5M)

I'm very pleased with this truck. My last, 2.4 manual, had 137,000, no problems. This is quiet, well built, one hwy trip netted 28.4mpg. Combined driving in the 26mpg range. More than enough power to tow trailer and 4- wheeler.

Tradition Continues
By Lane on 04/14/05 22:48 PM (PDT)

2005 Toyota Tacoma Regular Cab 2dr Regular Cab Rwd SB (2.7L 4cyl 5M)

I love my truck. Its fun to drive. Large cabin provides comfort on long trips. Engine power plus fuel economy 27 -30 mpg. Same great Toyota build quality.