2005 Toyota Tacoma Regular Cab - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Tacoma model:
158,000 miles and still going strong
By mar18 on 03/20/12 20:52 PM (PDT)

2005 Toyota Tacoma Regular Cab 2dr Regular Cab Rwd SB (2.7L 4cyl 4A)

love my pickup. i drive it alot and its never given me trouble. i sometimes carry heavy loads in it and it never struggles, does a really good job. gas mileage could be better but not bad.(26mpg combined)

2005 Tacoma 2dr , 4cyl, access cab,
By dennis on 03/08/10 06:18 AM (PST)

2005 Toyota Tacoma Regular Cab 2dr Regular Cab Rwd SB (2.7L 4cyl 4A)

Very dependable. Have no complaints, only wished it would get better gas mileage. It seems to be very durable. No part failures or recalls on this one. All small trucks should have 16" wheels and leather seats. Tacoma 2dr 4 cyl. Does not. My concern at the present is, a vibration coming from the drive shaft, under acceleration. If a person wants or needs a small truck, this is the one.

Great truck
By Bigcoz43 on 11/15/08 06:44 AM (PST)

2005 Toyota Tacoma Regular Cab 2dr Regular Cab Rwd SB (2.7L 4cyl 5M)

Had a Chev. S-10 that fell apart driving down the road. Traded it for the Toyota and never had a problem. Just oil changes and normal maintenance. What a great truck.

Look at FRAME first !!!!
By yomama on 09/18/07 05:23 AM (PDT)

2005 Toyota Tacoma Regular Cab 2dr Regular Cab 4WD SB (2.7L 4cyl 5M)

I am the owner of 2005 reg cab 4x4. It has a huge problem with rust on the frame. The rust is not all the way thru but it already has started and I have never seen rust like this so early. Frame actually looks as if it belongs to a truck 20 years old! I would only recomend this truck to someone living in a very dry area. I will not purchase another Toyota because of this. How safe can it be to drive down highway with nothing holding the truck together? I wish I would have known before purchase. Too bad, I get over 25 mpg with A/C on in city!

Satisfied
By Jordan on 11/23/06 03:40 AM (PST)

2005 Toyota Tacoma Regular Cab 2dr Regular Cab 4WD SB (2.7L 4cyl 5M)

I purchased this truck because I needed something to haul stuff for gardening, home improvements, etc. I was sick of putting things in the trunk of my car. I wanted a truck with good mileage and styling. I didn't want to pay a lot. This truck accomplished all of this. At 6'4" tall, it was also the most comfortable, compact truck I could find.

Third Toyota!
By Hobopoet on 03/28/06 03:59 AM (PST)

2005 Toyota Tacoma Regular Cab 2dr Regular Cab Rwd SB (2.7L 4cyl 5M)

This is my third Toyota Truck. I've owned a '92 standard, a '01 Tundra, and now this one. I can't imagine a better overall vehicle! I own a courier service, and I'm planning on appearing in one of those "I got 500,000 miles and I'm still rolling!" ads. The new 2.7 engine is a marvel; it feels more powerful than the 3.4 six in my Tundra. I have no doubt this truck will do everything I ask and more!

Selling it
By Mark777 on 01/04/06 19:02 PM (PST)

2005 Toyota Tacoma Regular Cab 2dr Regular Cab Rwd SB (2.7L 4cyl 5M)

Owned many Toyota models and this is my biggest disappointment. Interior parts scratch easily. Wildly revving cold engine starts. Touchy clutch. Transmission very hard to down-shift into first when cold unless you are at a stop. When you finally get it in gear you will most likely smash your knuckles into the sharp edge the designer felt was practical to leave on the dash at the end of the shift lever's travel. A horror story for short driver/tall passenger combos. Knees will be smashed into the space hogging dashboard. Would it have killed Toyota's bottom line to put a split bench in this vehicle? If you are looking at this truck, do yourself a favor and get the Access cab.

Regular Cab 4 cyl manual
By Scott on 12/23/05 14:11 PM (PST)

2005 Toyota Tacoma Regular Cab 2dr Regular Cab Rwd SB (2.7L 4cyl 5M)

I am 6'4". I fit in the truck just fine, the problem is little room for my size 14 shoes, the toes hit the bottom of the dash. The telescoping steering wheel needs to come another 2-3" farther away from the dash. As is, with the seat all the way back, my arms at 10&4 are nearly straight, not that comfortable. In 5th gear, the stick knob is in the way of the temperature control. The gears are vague with the need to double clutch to get it into first at times. Otherwise, I am happy with the truck. There is plenty of power with the benefit of good gas mileage. Bed is great but cargo will skate around on slick surface. I'm hoping the frame won't rust in ten years.

2005 tacoma-best compact there is!!
By Chuck A on 11/19/05 22:36 PM (PST)

2005 Toyota Tacoma Regular Cab 2dr Regular Cab Rwd SB (2.7L 4cyl 4A)

I love this truck! 25 mpg average and have not had one problem with it. I've owned it for 6 mths and have driven it 16,000 miles. I recently went on a 2500 mile trip and got 26 mpg,not bad for an 80 mph average. I've gotten 31 mpg driving 55 mph. Solid build quality, plenty of power and a joy to drive. If you want a truck that will last and is famous for going 300,000 miles + and last for 20 years + then buy the toyota.

Beware of Delphi Battery
By John on 07/23/05 12:16 PM (PDT)

2005 Toyota Tacoma Regular Cab 2dr Regular Cab PreRunner Rwd SB (2.7L 4cyl 5M)

Great truck; however, the GM parts contribution of the Delphi battery spewed battery acid all over the inner fender and hood. $836 (warranty paid) and two weeks later (in a rental car, also warranty paid) the body shop is still trying to repair the damage. So, including the battery the total cost to repair is about $1306, or 8% of the purchase price. Other than that I love the truck and can't wait until I get it back. I suggest not taking delivery until the GM battery is changed out.