Used 2005 Toyota Tacoma PreRunner V6 Double Cab Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Toyota Tacoma - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Tacoma model:

Good truck
By ExcuseI!

2005 Toyota Tacoma Double Cab 4dr Double Cab PreRunner V6 Rwd SB (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Bought used in 2008, have literally driven it across the country. (Truck has about 110k miles on it now) Avgs 16-25 mpg. Took it tailgating in the southeast with 4 adults and gear and got 25 mpg on highway in "mountainous" terrain of western NC and SC. The truck has been worry free over about 15k miles. The power from the V6 has been more than adequate with hauling rocks, dirt and plants/trees for homeowner "fun" and around town. I haven't towed with it. 60# dog fits in back of cab nicely as the seats fold flat and have a robust back. The cubbyholes behind and under the rear seats were borderline genius (they have become more common now, I think). The power outlet in truck bed is handy.

Favorite Features

Nice blend of SUV and truck features. TRD Off Road pkg looks nice (no fake scoop!) and offers locking rear diff (mine is 4x2) and ground clearance. Space and cubbyholes for things and people. Truck bed composite material (fine for my needs). Paint has held up very well as has underbody. Resale was good

Suggested Improvements

Fully box frame - shimmies over bigger bumps. DIESEL ENGINE PLEASE! Stereo in 2005 approaches awful. Bigger bed (deeper if not longer offered for TRD Off Road - only allow short bed). Better headlights. Wider rear door openings. I'd like a more utilitarian version offered w/ good mechanical "stuff"

Big improvement over previous Taco's
By Donboy

2005 Toyota Tacoma Double Cab 4dr Double Cab PreRunner V6 Rwd SB (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

This is a HUGE improvement over the earlier Taco's that were much smaller and had little wiggle room inside. Now Toyota has a real mid-size truck!! Incredible power that is just too tempting to ignore - will smoke most of 'em off the line. Beautiful styling inside and out, with some fine tuning over the years these will be a perfect truck!

Favorite Features

Great power, easy to get in/out, generous back seat room, plenty of storage behind rear seats, great stance for a 2WD - looks great with only a 3" lift!! Very good steering and braking feel, has the feel of being classy and rugged at the same time - a great rig for the price. Thanks Toyota!!

Suggested Improvements

OK, now the fine tuning that it needs: the heater fan is loud, the rear headrests completely block rear mirror view (I removed the headrests), the steering wheel telescopes very little, no light for key ignition at night, needs small light for window controls or a finger sensor for drivers window.

Revolutionary!!
By Stevo

2005 Toyota Tacoma Double Cab 4dr Double Cab PreRunner V6 Rwd SB (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I have to say, I am so impressed with my new truck. I have been driving BMWs for the last five years and coming out of a 40K car to a truck I was not expecting the luxury drive as well as the power and handling. WOW! What an extraordinary driving machine. I love it so much. The TRD package is worth every penny! I am absolutely impressed with it and can't wait to plan some fishing trips.

Favorite Features

TRD sport package, erogonomics, spacious, powerful engine, and great handling.

Suggested Improvements

Leather interior, navigation, and more gadgets on the inside.

An Awesome Truck
By Christopher Lukasz

2005 Toyota Tacoma Double Cab 4dr Double Cab PreRunner V6 Rwd SB (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

The best truck I ever owned, I have about 15000 miles on it now and its still feels like it brand new. Only problem that I had was the rear springs were making noise but all they need was a little grease and now they're good as new. I highly recomend this truck to anybody, I think it's the best truck out there right now.

Favorite Features

The looks, the storage space in the cabin, the power.

Suggested Improvements

none

Tacoma is a Winner
By DollarbillTX

2005 Toyota Tacoma Double Cab 4dr Double Cab PreRunner V6 Rwd SB (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

What's not to like about the newest generation of Tacoma . I love my CC 05' ! Plenty of room ,easy exit level,great interior and quiet. Plenty of power from the v6 and you can smoke lots of other trucks and cars with the power to weight ratios ,can be very quick for a truck. After driving Ford F150's and Rangers -I am totally sold on this truck ,to me it is the perfect size (no longbed with the CC style-please!) I would highly reccommend this truck -it deserves the sales numbers it is getting .

Favorite Features

Engine is tight and powerful .Right size in and out .Great looks ,makes the Ridgeline look like the ugly step sister ! Nice and fun to drive too.

Suggested Improvements

Door handles on interior are same color as dark door panel ,hard to find at night .Shock rubbers can bottom out with some bumps and a few people in it ,not too seriously though . A/c fan a little noisy .