2005 Toyota Tacoma Double Cab - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Tacoma model:
You had me at Taco...
By Renquest on 10/19/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2005 Toyota Tacoma Double Cab 4dr Double Cab V6 4WD SB (4.0L 6cyl 6M)

I picked up my Tacoma yesterday morning. I bought it with 42k miles/1-owner for $21k. It is a blast to drive! This thing climbs hills. In 6th gear @ 50 mph. There is enough power throughout the power band. Shifting is smooth once you get use to the clutch which feels as light as a car's clutch. If you are looking to fill a semi-sports car void without loosing the utility of a truck and have room for the family, test drive a Tacoma. The reliability of a Toyota is undeniable. I plan on taking this truck to 220k.

Great buy
By Joseph on 09/22/09 08:25 AM (PDT)

2005 Toyota Tacoma Double Cab 4dr Double Cab V6 4WD SB (4.0L 6cyl 6M)

Make it short and sweet. I bought my taco used with exactly 20000 miles on it. I was an All-American car buyer until this vehicle and still doubted the value when I got it (Great Deal on the buy). Since I've gotten the truck I've put 36,000+ on it and never done anything other then oil changes. I literally love this truck more and more everyday I drive it. I would recommend it to anyone looking to buy a 4dr truck. Gets great gas mileage for a truck; has plenty of power on the street and off roading. I've only owned 4x4's(3 Jeep's, Explorer, F150 & 250, Blazer), and this is definitely one of the best I've owned. All around great buy.

The best one yet
By justfine on 06/07/09 19:40 PM (PDT)

2005 Toyota Tacoma Double Cab 4dr Double Cab V6 4WD SB (4.0L 6cyl 6M)

My '05 is my 3rd Tacoma in a row. Previously an '01, and before a '95. The road handling on this one is night and day difference than the other 2. It does everything that I ask off road and gets decent mileage, 18 around town and up to 26 on the highway. It's about 4 1/2 years old, 150,000 miles, and drives like new. Nothing but oil changes, tires and brakes so far!!!

Great MPG, Good Buy
By grant on 07/24/08 10:16 AM (PDT)

2005 Toyota Tacoma Double Cab 4dr Double Cab V6 4WD SB (4.0L 6cyl 6M)

I bought My Tacoma about 2 months ago. I drive round trip 50 miles everyday. If I drive the truck the "right way" I get about 19-20 MPG. I do about 65% highway miles, 35% city driving. That's awesome for a truck w/a stout V6. So The power is really great. I have had 3 V8 trucks, 2 V6's, and this matches all of them. The transmission shifts awesome, can't even tell it is shifting. It rides like a car, and has great room and all kinds of hidden spaces for storage. I have 3 kids under 6 and it has great room for car seats. Styling is great, however I wish the tilt steering was better, not much adjustability. The dash gauges are awesome. I can get anything in the bed. I love it, great buy.

Solid truck
By glen on 12/16/07 16:00 PM (PST)

2005 Toyota Tacoma Double Cab 4dr Double Cab V6 4WD SB (4.0L 6cyl 6M)

I would recommend this truck to anyone. Good power & handling , good fuel mileage. It's an excellent truck overall.

Amazing
By Matt on 12/08/07 14:09 PM (PST)

2005 Toyota Tacoma Double Cab 4dr Double Cab V6 4WD SB (4.0L 6cyl 6M)

I love my Tacoma it has handled everything that I could throw at it, including carrying a 7200 fully loading trailer, as well as 1800 pounds in the bed. (Not at the same time). All in all I am very impressed with my truck, and wouldn't get anything else.

Just what I wanted
By Toyota John on 11/20/07 16:37 PM (PST)

2005 Toyota Tacoma Double Cab 4dr Double Cab V6 4WD SB (4.0L 6cyl 6M)

Looked at every truck available and almost got a Honda. The Toy was not as nice but much more fun to drive. I'm on the fwy every day in LA traffic and love the 6 speed, original tires have 65k and will last another 8K months, clutch is solid as the first day. Overall quality is first rate. Interior room is fine but not spacious. I am 6'4" and my sons are 6'5" and they love to drive it. Plan to buy the exact same when youngest son takes this. Toyota no longer sells a 6 speed in SoCal so I'll go out state to get one.

Owned them all and by far this is #1
By donzi2005 on 08/09/07 21:46 PM (PDT)

2005 Toyota Tacoma Double Cab 4dr Double Cab V6 4WD SB (4.0L 6cyl 6M)

I speak from experience. Owned 86 SR5 22RET 4x4 (300K+), 91 SR5 4x4 (200K+), 96 T100 4x4, 96 4runner Limited, 95 Tacoma 4x4 (75K), 96 Tacoma 4x4 (75K). 99 Toy 4x4 Ext Cab (100K) As you can see I spent many a miles behind the wheel of a Toyota truck. Bought my 2005 to tow a 22' boat. Already after year and half put 30K miles on it. By far the best looking all around driveable Toyota truck I have ever owned. Towing and overall drivability is above all others. Long-distance HWY trips are now a dream. Reliability is always A+. The only thing I have to do with this truck is change the oil and air filter. See below for my few negative comments.

Don't be fooled
By Dan on 11/08/06 10:40 AM (PST)

2005 Toyota Tacoma Double Cab 4dr Double Cab V6 4WD SB (4.0L 6cyl 6M)

My father always said, never buy the first year of a new model or redesigned model and I didn't listen to him. This truck has had so many problems I can't even count them. It has been in the shop repeatedly since day one. To this day, I still can't get anyone to admit that the exhaust sounds like it has a leak. I thought I was buying quality, but I was fooled. Don't be. Buy a 2007 or later. By all they have learned about mine, those next years should be great!

awesome allrounder
By joe shoer on 05/23/06 18:57 PM (PDT)

2005 Toyota Tacoma Double Cab 4dr Double Cab V6 4WD SB (4.0L 6cyl 6M)

I have owned this truck for one year now and love it as much as the day I picked it up! Although it's not perfect it far exceeds all GM trucks I've owned, mechanically, reliably,and aesthetically. This truck works hard carrying weight 80% of the time and has performed flawlessly. After 50000KM I have had no problems whatsoever except for paint chips. Whether it be a result of poor paint (white) or to many gravel trucks, I don't know. Overall I am very happy with my first Toyota Tacoma.