Used 2005 Toyota Tacoma V6 Double Cab Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Toyota Tacoma Double Cab - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Tacoma model:

Very great truck!
By jeremy_good

2005 Toyota Tacoma Double Cab 4dr Double Cab V6 4WD SB (4.0L 6cyl 6M)

I've got 90/10 good and bad reviews. I like the radio, which I have the V6 SR5 4x4 model with the TRD Off-Road pck, and nothing more I could say about how great it is to drive! The manual transmission, though, I got to say that I don't like. I hear a slight thump whenever the gear's lever hits the end of the outline of the transmission gear shifter. The speaker system is bad and rad. It make the volume feel like it's at 30 when it's really on 18!

Absolutely love the radio system and speakers. Love how powerful the engine is.

I wish they'd get rid of the manual transmission and keep the automatic.

You had me at Taco...
By Renquest

2005 Toyota Tacoma Double Cab 4dr Double Cab V6 4WD SB (4.0L 6cyl 6M)

I picked up my Tacoma yesterday morning. I bought it with 42k miles/1-owner for $21k. It is a blast to drive! This thing climbs hills. In 6th gear @ 50 mph. There is enough power throughout the power band. Shifting is smooth once you get use to the clutch which feels as light as a car's clutch. If you are looking to fill a semi-sports car void without loosing the utility of a truck and have room for the family, test drive a Tacoma. The reliability of a Toyota is undeniable. I plan on taking this truck to 220k.

The exterior styling and the 6-speed manual transmission. I know any DCT will shift faster than I ever will. But with a manual transmission, you feel connected to the vehicle, IMHO.

Only one, a small one. The sounds systems is not the best. If you like the clarity of hearing the 'chick' from the hi-hat in your sound system, this stereo will disappoint you.

Great buy
By Joseph

2005 Toyota Tacoma Double Cab 4dr Double Cab V6 4WD SB (4.0L 6cyl 6M)

Make it short and sweet. I bought my taco used with exactly 20000 miles on it. I was an All-American car buyer until this vehicle and still doubted the value when I got it (Great Deal on the buy). Since I've gotten the truck I've put 36,000+ on it and never done anything other then oil changes. I literally love this truck more and more everyday I drive it. I would recommend it to anyone looking to buy a 4dr truck. Gets great gas mileage for a truck; has plenty of power on the street and off roading. I've only owned 4x4's(3 Jeep's, Explorer, F150 & 250, Blazer), and this is definitely one of the best I've owned. All around great buy.

The power, handling, and suspension. Comfort of the drive off roading or street. Interior has a decent set up; everything is positioned pretty good for driver access and has plenty of storage space.

Truthfully the comfort on long road trips is a little lacking (seats can't be upgraded unless aftermarket). Could have a little more leg room in the back (if the drivers tall, 6 ft+ the rear passengers don't have much leg room).

The best one yet
By justfine

2005 Toyota Tacoma Double Cab 4dr Double Cab V6 4WD SB (4.0L 6cyl 6M)

My '05 is my 3rd Tacoma in a row. Previously an '01, and before a '95. The road handling on this one is night and day difference than the other 2. It does everything that I ask off road and gets decent mileage, 18 around town and up to 26 on the highway. It's about 4 1/2 years old, 150,000 miles, and drives like new. Nothing but oil changes, tires and brakes so far!!!

Everything about it... looks, performance, and durability.

Drivers seat wear and comfort.

Great MPG, Good Buy
By grant

2005 Toyota Tacoma Double Cab 4dr Double Cab V6 4WD SB (4.0L 6cyl 6M)

I bought My Tacoma about 2 months ago. I drive round trip 50 miles everyday. If I drive the truck the "right way" I get about 19-20 MPG. I do about 65% highway miles, 35% city driving. That's awesome for a truck w/a stout V6. So The power is really great. I have had 3 V8 trucks, 2 V6's, and this matches all of them. The transmission shifts awesome, can't even tell it is shifting. It rides like a car, and has great room and all kinds of hidden spaces for storage. I have 3 kids under 6 and it has great room for car seats. Styling is great, however I wish the tilt steering was better, not much adjustability. The dash gauges are awesome. I can get anything in the bed. I love it, great buy.

Great MPG for a V6 midsize truck. Good power, good overall styling-good be better though. Great room and storage.

Has a loud deep noise when I have all the windows down, it vibrates the passenger seat, creating this noise I think. The paint seems to chip easily. Better tilt steering. Cab could be fancier inside. I wish Toyota would release their codes so you can performance tune. Overall nothing big though.