Used 2005 Toyota Tacoma Double Cab Consumer Reviews - 197 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Toyota Tacoma Double Cab - Consumer Reviews

2005 Toyota Tacoma Double Cab

View reviews for a specific Tacoma model:

Great motor and reliable but Toyota quality poor.
By Dollarbill

2005 Toyota Tacoma Double Cab 4dr Double Cab PreRunner V6 Rwd SB (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Having owned this Truck 10 years it has been reliable and solid. Poor gas milage and plasticky interior, doors are Fisher Price plastic and cracking.. Roomy in double cab. Beware of Toyota and them not confessing their problems with cracking leaf Springs and rusty frames. Toyota hides until they are smoked out on the many suspension problems.. Still awaiting my reimbursement for fixing the broken recalled parts.. Will be going back to Ford soon enough. Customer service experience is abysmal and Toyota seems to be riding on the past quality..

Very great truck!
By jeremy_good

2005 Toyota Tacoma Double Cab 4dr Double Cab V6 4WD SB (4.0L 6cyl 6M)

I've got 90/10 good and bad reviews. I like the radio, which I have the V6 SR5 4x4 model with the TRD Off-Road pck, and nothing more I could say about how great it is to drive! The manual transmission, though, I got to say that I don't like. I hear a slight thump whenever the gear's lever hits the end of the outline of the transmission gear shifter. The speaker system is bad and rad. It make the volume feel like it's at 30 when it's really on 18!

Absolutely love the radio system and speakers. Love how powerful the engine is.

I wish they'd get rid of the manual transmission and keep the automatic.

Great Truck no perfect 2005
By kimon101

2005 Toyota Tacoma Double Cab 4dr Double Cab PreRunner V6 Rwd LB (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

At 80,000 miles after towing a car on a dolly 1500 miles one universal joint went out. Replaced all 3. Replaced one wheel barring (so far). Cab fan motor went out, replaced, then fan motor connector failed due to heat. Replaced connector with GM part, exactly the same only less expensive. Rear leaf springs are weak, not much weight in bed and spring bumpers are almost on the axle. In cab navigation and temp indicator failed. Poor factory solder job on components, I re soldered and is still working fine. Mesh style
seat material stains easily and is hard to clean.
At 148K still looking good.

Storage compartments. Cool hood scoop ( performs no real function). Speedway blue metallic color is cool. Fun to drive.

I would recommend Toyota upgrade the rear drum breaks to disc brakes, I have felt longer breaking distances are necessary at times. Increase load capacity on leaf springs.

lier lier toyota shame on you..
By teakrob

2005 Toyota Tacoma Double Cab 4dr Double Cab V6 4WD LB (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I bought it in 05 for about $33,000.00 This truck with 50K miles is a money pitt. The service is way over priced. The recalls lists are long yet are minor compared to the list of problems toyota dosnt cover.

1 frame is so weak that it CAVED IN AT THE MOTOR MOUNTS. The result 8 weeks in the shop countless calls to toyota and b/s forever to have them say I need a new frame and it would be around $13,000 to repair my truck
what a joke, not a funny one.
2 Newest problem @ 86Kmiles bad cats all four, around $5000.00 to replace. 5 weeks in shop to have them tell me that toyota will cover $1000.00 of it after I pay in full.
I can't afford it and no smog w/light on so Im SOL save your money

Good off-road but will fall apar around weak frame expensive service and a company that spits in ther customers face if the have a problem

Well I need to have about $20,000.00 in repairs afer $33,000 purchase price and a grand total of 86kmiles i would suggest jumping off a building before buying another cheaply built with low quality paper thin steel frame expensive service and a company that only wants to sell sell sell with a no stand behind our sub standard product attitude. Problems that are terminal, expensive and dangerous to the consumer. My suggestion is for toyota TO GO TO HELL !!!!!! I WOULD NOT REFER ANYONE TO BUY THIS CRAP. THEY (TOYOTA) SHOULD BE SUED BY EVERYONE WHO OWNS THIS TRUCK.. I WOULD NO GIVE THEM THE [non-permissible content removed] TOYOTA I FOR ONE USED TO LOVE YOU 1ST 50KMI. NOW I HATE YOU. ROB O. CA DONT BUY!

05 Taco DC-LB 4x4
By 05taco

2005 Toyota Tacoma Double Cab 4dr Double Cab V6 4WD LB (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Two simple words: Phenomenal truck! This is the second Tacoma I've owned since 97. This truck has been 100% reliable in the MN winters. 25 below or 12 inches of snow will not slow this truck down. I've owned other trucks that were cheaper in price, but with the Tacoma you get what you pay for. Compared to other mid-size (or full-size) trucks, its a great value. 100K miles and just broken in!

4x4, 6 ft bed, seats 5, 19 mpg avg.

None!