Used 2005 Toyota Tacoma PreRunner V6 Access Cab Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Toyota Tacoma - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Tacoma model:

Great glorified wheelbarrow
By gashley2

2005 Toyota Tacoma Access Cab 4dr Access Cab PreRunner V6 Rwd SB (4.0L 6cyl 6M)

I bought my 2005 Toyota tacoma SR5 4.0L 6 speed 4 years ago. I really like the truck! In the entire time I have had it I have NEVER had to do anything to it period. I have only had to change the oil and put gas in it, thats it. You couldn't ask for a more reliable truck! The engine is strong and the 6 speed manual never skips a beat. I currently have 112,000 miles on it and have never had to do anything to it. However, I DO NOT like the composite bed has no tie downs for heavy items. THE TAILGATE IS UTTER CRAP and can not handle any weight had to replace mine. And doesnt get the best milage. I only get 15MPG at best my old ford V8 gets a lot better mpg's.

Favorite Features

Handles great on the snow. With these Utah and Wyoming winters this thing never skips a beat. I have an AWD Land Rover that doesn't handle this good on snow. Tacoma is light in the rear so throw some sand bags in the back and you're good to go without having to run in 4WD all winter. Drives nice and Handles great. Looks really nice and is pretty comfortable. If you are a taller person in the torso like I am you might feel odd in the cab. seems like rear-view mirror is always in the field of view and dont use the passenger side of the windshield much. 4WD system works flawlessly every time.

Suggested Improvements

NEEDS BETTER FUEL MILEAGE!!! MPG is my biggest complaint. It is a glorified wheelbarrow, you're not going to be able to haul big loads or carry lots of stuff in the little bed. No tie downs for heavy items. Track system isn't strong enough to tie down heavy things the track begins to flex with too much tightening with ratchet straps etc... The access cab is tight and not much room for adults in the back seat. Fiberglass bed is Awful!!! The non structural tailgate is awful and expensive to replace at $500 without being painted.

Great Reliable Truck
By J Rivera

2005 Toyota Tacoma Access Cab 4dr Access Cab PreRunner V6 Rwd SB (4.0L 6cyl 6M)

Great truck all around. I drive 20K per year through mountain roads in Puerto Rico and currently have 65K. I had one minor leak with the power steering fluid that was covered by warranty. Other than that, the temperature/compass display was damaged a month ago is not covered by the extended warranty I purchased! It's a great solid truck. Very reliable and lots of aftermarket goodies to customize it and make it your own. I have performed all tune-ups at the dealer and have never been strained on the road. The average MPGs are 17.8 with a best of 20.7 and a worst of 16.7.

Favorite Features

Love the factory bed and available tie-downs. The factory tire choice for my TRD was excellent. They lasted me 48,000 miles in Puerto Rico driving! (try it...) Look after modifications. Very smooth to drive and cab size is very comfortable. Engine seems to be very solidly built.

Suggested Improvements

Sunroof, larger seats for the TRD, perhaps captains' chairs. Electrical sliding rear window. 6 speed auto transmission. MPG readout. Offer it with a larger gas tank so it could go 500 miles without refueling (my personal best is 396 miles).

Great Reliable Truck
By Jaime

2005 Toyota Tacoma Access Cab 4dr Access Cab PreRunner V6 Rwd SB (4.0L 6cyl 6M)

I got an Ext. Cab with TRD-Off Road Package. The truck is excellent in everyday driving. I drive through country roads with only 1 lane(in each direction) and find myself passing other trucks and vehicles all the time. Very dangerous but I have enough power to do it quickly! Very reliable truck, already have 50K in it and the engine and paint are as good as new. I drive fast and only get 17.5 MPG, but when I slow down I reach up to 19.5 MPG.

Favorite Features

Look, engine sound after installing flowmaster catback, placement of radio (replaced it with a DVD system/backup camera), size vs capability, gear shifting without having to press a button, riding height, interior look.

Suggested Improvements

Bluetooth, sunroof, bed lights(had to install my own), I feel like the sport seats that came with the TRD package cramp my back, hybrid option, or the option of manually selecting between 6 and 4 cylinders.

Love My Baby
By Terri

2005 Toyota Tacoma Access Cab 4dr Access Cab PreRunner V6 Rwd SB (4.0L 6cyl 6M)

I have dreamed about owning a Toy Truck since 1985 when Back To The Future came out. My parents got one back in the early 90s and I was insanely jealous and so when I totaled my car I got another car but my heart was set on the truck so I said I only have this one life so I broke down and bought it. I love how I feel when I'm driving and I get so many compliments on it and her name is Bagheera. She is a dream come true and I have never been happier.

Favorite Features

I love the exterior it is so regal and stylish, it commands respect. I love that you get the feeling of being in a big truck but you don't have that big truck price.

Suggested Improvements

I detest the seats. The cloth is uncomfortable and ugly. I would rather it be one type of material and soft. I hate that she guzzles gas. There are so many other suvs out there that get better mileage and I wish that she would get better mileage.

full size compromize
By ED

2005 Toyota Tacoma Access Cab 4dr Access Cab PreRunner V6 Rwd SB (4.0L 6cyl 6M)

I bought this truck expecting good fuel economy and rugged capabilities. It is a great truck for off roading, towing, and getting dirty and if you want to look tough on your commute to work. The truck has disappointing fuel economy i rarely if ever got above 17 mpg on the freeway. the ground clearance is high so if you're under 5'8" better get the steps or nerf tubes. the automatic was terrible, it always searched for a right gear and downshifted constantly with the cruise control on, even on level roads, and engine noise gets pretty loud.

Favorite Features

rugged looks, strong engine, bed tie down cleats, in bed outlet.

Suggested Improvements

better tranny! seats like the honda element, bigger cupholders.