Used 2005 Toyota Tacoma Access Cab Consumer Reviews - 133 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Toyota Tacoma Access Cab - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Tacoma model:

" Yoda " Toyota Tacoma 2005 2.7L L4 FI DOHC 16V
By Burt

2005 Toyota Tacoma Access Cab 4dr Access Cab Rwd SB (2.7L 4cyl 5M)

I got a used 2005 Toyota Tacoma ( Gold ) Base Model $ 14.986 with only 29,895 Mile on it. I paid full price, KKB said, Top Price is $ 18,999 Wow what a Truck " >>> Drivers New, Rides New, Looks New, I even Like the Dog smell...lol I think,they used it for hauling Newspapers around. It has a clean carfax 1 owner,oil, and services,were did at the Dealership. Oh" No tow package, never tow a thing... New life,will be taking me and the dog to the lake, with the jonboat behind. I am 58 years old The truck is going to out last me....? when i get into my late 70's The truck will only have 80,000 miles on it. Someone will be getting a good truck then... Happy Motoring......

Me and my Taco
By Stacey

2005 Toyota Tacoma Access Cab 4dr Access Cab PreRunner V6 Rwd SB (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

This has been a great truck. I've put 200,000 miles on the odometer and the truck runs and drives like the day we met. I'm going to miss this truck.

My '05 PreRunner 10 Years Later
By timztoytac

2005 Toyota Tacoma Access Cab 4dr Access Cab PreRunner V6 Rwd SB (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Generally speaking, the Tacome is without a doubt the Best Looking Mid-Size Pickup out there. The 4.0L V6 is an excellent power plant with great acceleration and towing capability. The interior is average at best, although improvements have come on later models, it is stil very comfortable on long drives and easy to get Ina and out of. The handling capability for this truck is pretty solid around turns and the ride suspension is pretty decent as well. Obviously Tacomas Rule, because everywhere I go, I see them more than any other truck.

Perhaps my most favorite feature is the Horsepower the 4.0L V6 produces. From a standstill to freeway speed, you feel it pulling very well. Passing speeds are just as good, with no hesitation, a quick downshift and BAM, away you go!!! Another of the features I love is the overall body style and look of the Tacoma. The fender flares and the grille are pretty awesome, especially with aftermarket rims and tires. But the overall design leaves the competition scratching their heads, I mean nothing comes close in the esthetic value. Perhaps this is why minimal changes have been made since it's inception in 2005. So far, after 10 years, I still love my truck!! Hoping to replace it soon.

Everyone will agree that this truck is a Gas Hog!!! Driving like Grandma around town gets me 16MPG if I'm super slow and very lucky. The best HWY I ever got was 23MPG, with the help of a 55 MPH zone enforced by Radar. Otherwise, drivng like Speed Racer, drops overall mileage to a dismal 11MPG at best, but al lot of fun though! I had the unfortunate experience of my Pre-CATS going bad after the Federal Warranty period of 80K Miles by, get this, 1100 miles, and Toyota would not budge on it either!!!! Sucked for me because I had to replace them both for about $1,800 Total, of course, doing it myself. Toyota quoted me $3,200 for the job!!!! One more thing, the rear suspension SUCKS!!

Great glorified wheelbarrow
By gashley2

2005 Toyota Tacoma Access Cab 4dr Access Cab PreRunner V6 Rwd SB (4.0L 6cyl 6M)

I bought my 2005 Toyota tacoma SR5 4.0L 6 speed 4 years ago. I really like the truck! In the entire time I have had it I have NEVER had to do anything to it period. I have only had to change the oil and put gas in it, thats it. You couldn't ask for a more reliable truck! The engine is strong and the 6 speed manual never skips a beat. I currently have 112,000 miles on it and have never had to do anything to it. However, I DO NOT like the composite bed has no tie downs for heavy items. THE TAILGATE IS UTTER CRAP and can not handle any weight had to replace mine. And doesnt get the best milage. I only get 15MPG at best my old ford V8 gets a lot better mpg's.

Handles great on the snow. With these Utah and Wyoming winters this thing never skips a beat. I have an AWD Land Rover that doesn't handle this good on snow. Tacoma is light in the rear so throw some sand bags in the back and you're good to go without having to run in 4WD all winter. Drives nice and Handles great. Looks really nice and is pretty comfortable. If you are a taller person in the torso like I am you might feel odd in the cab. seems like rear-view mirror is always in the field of view and dont use the passenger side of the windshield much. 4WD system works flawlessly every time.

NEEDS BETTER FUEL MILEAGE!!! MPG is my biggest complaint. It is a glorified wheelbarrow, you're not going to be able to haul big loads or carry lots of stuff in the little bed. No tie downs for heavy items. Track system isn't strong enough to tie down heavy things the track begins to flex with too much tightening with ratchet straps etc... The access cab is tight and not much room for adults in the back seat. Fiberglass bed is Awful!!! The non structural tailgate is awful and expensive to replace at $500 without being painted.

Needs new design
By jj

2005 Toyota Tacoma Access Cab 4dr Access Cab PreRunner Rwd SB (2.7L 4cyl 5M)

The temp and compass above dashboard needs designed so you can read it in the daylight! Stock radio and cd player are junk, dealer quoted $700.00 to replace! Truck has great exterior design and looks great though!