Used 2005 Toyota Tacoma PreRunner Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Toyota Tacoma - Consumer Reviews

2005 Toyota Tacoma

View reviews for a specific Tacoma model:

Needs new design
By jj

2005 Toyota Tacoma 4dr Access Cab PreRunner Rwd SB (2.7L 4cyl 5M)

The temp and compass above dashboard needs designed so you can read it in the daylight! Stock radio and cd player are junk, dealer quoted $700.00 to replace! Truck has great exterior design and looks great though!

Overall beast!
By palermo

2005 Toyota Tacoma 4dr Access Cab PreRunner Rwd SB (2.7L 4cyl 5M)

Smooth riding and big truck feel. Not a gas saving vehicle and only uses premium gasoline (more expensive).

Favorite Features

Handling and acceleration. Grrrrrrr!

Suggested Improvements

Rear view area. Make side bars standard.

2005 Access Cab Big Disappointment
By A.S.

2005 Toyota Tacoma 4dr Access Cab PreRunner Rwd SB (2.7L 4cyl 5M)

I purchased my 2005 Tacoma Prerunner with 4-cyl/5M new after doing a lot of research from forums, specification reports, and going on test-drives. This is the model that looks like a 4- wheel-drive and has an extended cab (they call it the access cab). I can now say after having it for 17,000 miles that I am very disappointed in it for two reasons: actual vs. posted fuel mileage and wind noise with the latter being the primary reason I am selling it. I wanted only one vehicle to commute to work and haul music equipment. It had to be of high quality, above 25mpg highway fuel rating, and have adequate storage space (I assumed the ride would be reasonably quiet as are competitors models).

Favorite Features

There are many good things about the Tacoma and I hate to part with it for those reasons: 1) handles excellently, 2) mechanically very high quality, turning radius is unbelievably tight, 3) cargo area is perfect for my equipment, 4) drivers seat is very comfortable, 5) stereo is great sounding

Suggested Improvements

A few other points of dissatisfaction: 1) clutch-pedal depression length is too long, 2) steering wheel tilt span is too short (should go higher for easier exit), 3) factory running boards are nearly non-functional, 4) rear seats in access model are comfortable for dogs but not for kids (an inch more)

Just what I expected by Toyota.
By Ric Larsen

2005 Toyota Tacoma 4dr Access Cab PreRunner Rwd SB (2.7L 4cyl 5M)

Absolutely the best buy I have made with a vehicle. Only bad point...the windshield isn't rock proof. My truck has performed flawlessly and I look forward to my next year with it. Thank you Toyota!

Suggested Improvements

Include cargo bed tiedowns at each corner. Only comes with two (at the rear).

I love my Taco!
By drg

2005 Toyota Tacoma 4dr Access Cab PreRunner Rwd SB (2.7L 4cyl 5M)

Got the Prerunner, Access, 4 cyl, manual. Ordered it. Great styling inside & out. This is my first Toyota & I'm very impressed, tho I feel shafted by the dealer. The prerunner concept is great - the looks of 4WD w/o the cost. Only problem is the clutch pedal is killing my calf. The pedal throw is way too much - my heel hits the floorboard before the clutch is 1/2 way depressed so I have to point my toes to the extreme in order to shift. Shoulda got an automatic! The dealer can't tell me if the pedal is adjustable unless I bring it in. Got it for 1% over invoice but the dealer said I couldn't order VSC. Toyota should ditch the dealers and let people order straight from the factory!

Favorite Features

Styling of the front grill is awesome! Great design inside & out! Excellent attention to detail. Prerunner concept is great. Bed mat is well worth it. Like the mileage (29) of the 4 cyl manual. Very smooth shifting tranny. Comfy seats. Good handling. Good ride. Clever interior design. Easy controls.

Suggested Improvements

Clutch pedal throw is way too far. Wish I didn't have to install seat covers myself. Need more colors. Need seatback pockets like on airlines. Hard to get VSC (should be standard!). Hard to get in - shoulda got the tube steps (running boards help only a little). Need more D rings in the bed.