Used 2005 Toyota Tacoma Base Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Toyota Tacoma - Consumer Reviews

2005 Toyota Tacoma

View reviews for a specific Tacoma model:

Great truck
By Bigcoz43

2005 Toyota Tacoma 2dr Regular Cab Rwd SB (2.7L 4cyl 5M)

Had a Chev. S-10 that fell apart driving down the road. Traded it for the Toyota and never had a problem. Just oil changes and normal maintenance. What a great truck.

Favorite Features

Great ride and mileage is around 25 mpg.

Suggested Improvements

Need to install delayed wipers on new models

Third Toyota!
By Hobopoet

2005 Toyota Tacoma 2dr Regular Cab Rwd SB (2.7L 4cyl 5M)

This is my third Toyota Truck. I've owned a '92 standard, a '01 Tundra, and now this one. I can't imagine a better overall vehicle! I own a courier service, and I'm planning on appearing in one of those "I got 500,000 miles and I'm still rolling!" ads. The new 2.7 engine is a marvel; it feels more powerful than the 3.4 six in my Tundra. I have no doubt this truck will do everything I ask and more!

Favorite Features

Overall build quality is hard to beat. This truck is more than just a vehicle; it's a friend!

Suggested Improvements

I find the standard transmission a bit stiff when it's cold, but that is probably something that time and miles will take care of.

Selling it
By Mark777

2005 Toyota Tacoma 2dr Regular Cab Rwd SB (2.7L 4cyl 5M)

Owned many Toyota models and this is my biggest disappointment. Interior parts scratch easily. Wildly revving cold engine starts. Touchy clutch. Transmission very hard to down-shift into first when cold unless you are at a stop. When you finally get it in gear you will most likely smash your knuckles into the sharp edge the designer felt was practical to leave on the dash at the end of the shift lever's travel. A horror story for short driver/tall passenger combos. Knees will be smashed into the space hogging dashboard. Would it have killed Toyota's bottom line to put a split bench in this vehicle? If you are looking at this truck, do yourself a favor and get the Access cab.

Favorite Features

It will hold some resale value. Truck does ride nicely on the road. Rail system for bed is useful. Gas mileage is acceptable.

Suggested Improvements

See above. Split bench seat or make buckets standard. It is actually a useless truck for short legged people with tall passengers. Refine the tranny. Fix the high idle. Better plastics.

Regular Cab 4 cyl manual
By Scott

2005 Toyota Tacoma 2dr Regular Cab Rwd SB (2.7L 4cyl 5M)

I am 6'4". I fit in the truck just fine, the problem is little room for my size 14 shoes, the toes hit the bottom of the dash. The telescoping steering wheel needs to come another 2-3" farther away from the dash. As is, with the seat all the way back, my arms at 10&4 are nearly straight, not that comfortable. In 5th gear, the stick knob is in the way of the temperature control. The gears are vague with the need to double clutch to get it into first at times. Otherwise, I am happy with the truck. There is plenty of power with the benefit of good gas mileage. Bed is great but cargo will skate around on slick surface. I'm hoping the frame won't rust in ten years.

Favorite Features

Mileage, power, price, cab roominess and features.

Suggested Improvements

Better ergonomics for taller people. Smoother gear shifting. Give us cruise control in basic model. I hit a deer and a lot of shattered plastic up front which cost $1000 to fix, two headlights and a grill. Does plastic really need to cost that much?

Great Truck
By shock93

2005 Toyota Tacoma 2dr Regular Cab Rwd SB (2.7L 4cyl 5M)

Bought the 2005 Toyota Tacoma Base with A/C and 15" wheels, have not owned it long but a great truck. I had a 1985 Toyota Truck bought new and put 150k on the clock. If you a looking for an inexpensive vehicle for a homeowner this is it.

Favorite Features

Dash Board Style CD player/Radio Good A/C

Suggested Improvements

Clutch engagement is too high