Used 2005 Toyota Tacoma Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Toyota Tacoma - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Tacoma model:

My '05 PreRunner 10 Years Later
By timztoytac

2005 Toyota Tacoma 4dr Access Cab PreRunner V6 Rwd SB (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Generally speaking, the Tacome is without a doubt the Best Looking Mid-Size Pickup out there. The 4.0L V6 is an excellent power plant with great acceleration and towing capability. The interior is average at best, although improvements have come on later models, it is stil very comfortable on long drives and easy to get Ina and out of. The handling capability for this truck is pretty solid around turns and the ride suspension is pretty decent as well. Obviously Tacomas Rule, because everywhere I go, I see them more than any other truck.

Perhaps my most favorite feature is the Horsepower the 4.0L V6 produces. From a standstill to freeway speed, you feel it pulling very well. Passing speeds are just as good, with no hesitation, a quick downshift and BAM, away you go!!! Another of the features I love is the overall body style and look of the Tacoma. The fender flares and the grille are pretty awesome, especially with aftermarket rims and tires. But the overall design leaves the competition scratching their heads, I mean nothing comes close in the esthetic value. Perhaps this is why minimal changes have been made since it's inception in 2005. So far, after 10 years, I still love my truck!! Hoping to replace it soon.

Everyone will agree that this truck is a Gas Hog!!! Driving like Grandma around town gets me 16MPG if I'm super slow and very lucky. The best HWY I ever got was 23MPG, with the help of a 55 MPH zone enforced by Radar. Otherwise, drivng like Speed Racer, drops overall mileage to a dismal 11MPG at best, but al lot of fun though! I had the unfortunate experience of my Pre-CATS going bad after the Federal Warranty period of 80K Miles by, get this, 1100 miles, and Toyota would not budge on it either!!!! Sucked for me because I had to replace them both for about $1,800 Total, of course, doing it myself. Toyota quoted me $3,200 for the job!!!! One more thing, the rear suspension SUCKS!!

Very great truck!
By jeremy_good

2005 Toyota Tacoma 4dr Double Cab V6 4WD SB (4.0L 6cyl 6M)

I've got 90/10 good and bad reviews. I like the radio, which I have the V6 SR5 4x4 model with the TRD Off-Road pck, and nothing more I could say about how great it is to drive! The manual transmission, though, I got to say that I don't like. I hear a slight thump whenever the gear's lever hits the end of the outline of the transmission gear shifter. The speaker system is bad and rad. It make the volume feel like it's at 30 when it's really on 18!

Absolutely love the radio system and speakers. Love how powerful the engine is.

I wish they'd get rid of the manual transmission and keep the automatic.

Great glorified wheelbarrow
By gashley2

2005 Toyota Tacoma 4dr Access Cab PreRunner V6 Rwd SB (4.0L 6cyl 6M)

I bought my 2005 Toyota tacoma SR5 4.0L 6 speed 4 years ago. I really like the truck! In the entire time I have had it I have NEVER had to do anything to it period. I have only had to change the oil and put gas in it, thats it. You couldn't ask for a more reliable truck! The engine is strong and the 6 speed manual never skips a beat. I currently have 112,000 miles on it and have never had to do anything to it. However, I DO NOT like the composite bed has no tie downs for heavy items. THE TAILGATE IS UTTER CRAP and can not handle any weight had to replace mine. And doesnt get the best milage. I only get 15MPG at best my old ford V8 gets a lot better mpg's.

Handles great on the snow. With these Utah and Wyoming winters this thing never skips a beat. I have an AWD Land Rover that doesn't handle this good on snow. Tacoma is light in the rear so throw some sand bags in the back and you're good to go without having to run in 4WD all winter. Drives nice and Handles great. Looks really nice and is pretty comfortable. If you are a taller person in the torso like I am you might feel odd in the cab. seems like rear-view mirror is always in the field of view and dont use the passenger side of the windshield much. 4WD system works flawlessly every time.

NEEDS BETTER FUEL MILEAGE!!! MPG is my biggest complaint. It is a glorified wheelbarrow, you're not going to be able to haul big loads or carry lots of stuff in the little bed. No tie downs for heavy items. Track system isn't strong enough to tie down heavy things the track begins to flex with too much tightening with ratchet straps etc... The access cab is tight and not much room for adults in the back seat. Fiberglass bed is Awful!!! The non structural tailgate is awful and expensive to replace at $500 without being painted.

Great Truck no perfect 2005
By kimon101

2005 Toyota Tacoma 4dr Double Cab PreRunner V6 Rwd LB (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

At 80,000 miles after towing a car on a dolly 1500 miles one universal joint went out. Replaced all 3. Replaced one wheel barring (so far). Cab fan motor went out, replaced, then fan motor connector failed due to heat. Replaced connector with GM part, exactly the same only less expensive. Rear leaf springs are weak, not much weight in bed and spring bumpers are almost on the axle. In cab navigation and temp indicator failed. Poor factory solder job on components, I re soldered and is still working fine. Mesh style seat material stains easily and is hard to clean. At 148K still looking good.

Storage compartments. Cool hood scoop ( performs no real function). Speedway blue metallic color is cool. Fun to drive.

I would recommend Toyota upgrade the rear drum breaks to disc brakes, I have felt longer breaking distances are necessary at times. Increase load capacity on leaf springs.

lier lier toyota shame on you..
By teakrob

2005 Toyota Tacoma 4dr Double Cab V6 4WD LB (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I bought it in 05 for about $33,000.00 This truck with 50K miles is a money pitt. The service is way over priced. The recalls lists are long yet are minor compared to the list of problems toyota dosnt cover. 1 frame is so weak that it CAVED IN AT THE MOTOR MOUNTS. The result 8 weeks in the shop countless calls to toyota and b/s forever to have them say I need a new frame and it would be around $13,000 to repair my truck what a joke, not a funny one. 2 Newest problem @ 86Kmiles bad cats all four, around $5000.00 to replace. 5 weeks in shop to have them tell me that toyota will cover $1000.00 of it after I pay in full. I can't afford it and no smog w/light on so Im SOL save your money

Good off-road but will fall apar around weak frame expensive service and a company that spits in ther customers face if the have a problem

Well I need to have about $20,000.00 in repairs afer $33,000 purchase price and a grand total of 86kmiles i would suggest jumping off a building before buying another cheaply built with low quality paper thin steel frame expensive service and a company that only wants to sell sell sell with a no stand behind our sub standard product attitude. Problems that are terminal, expensive and dangerous to the consumer. My suggestion is for toyota TO GO TO HELL !!!!!! I WOULD NOT REFER ANYONE TO BUY THIS CRAP. THEY (TOYOTA) SHOULD BE SUED BY EVERYONE WHO OWNS THIS TRUCK.. I WOULD NO GIVE THEM THE [non-permissible content removed] TOYOTA I FOR ONE USED TO LOVE YOU 1ST 50KMI. NOW I HATE YOU. ROB O. CA DONT BUY!