Used 2005 Toyota Tacoma Consumer Reviews - 356 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Toyota Tacoma - Consumer Reviews

2005 Toyota Tacoma

View reviews for a specific Tacoma model:

" Yoda " Toyota Tacoma 2005 2.7L L4 FI DOHC 16V
By Burt

2005 Toyota Tacoma 4dr Access Cab Rwd SB (2.7L 4cyl 5M)

I got a used 2005 Toyota Tacoma ( Gold ) Base Model $ 14.986 with only 29,895 Mile on it. I paid full price, KKB said, Top Price is $ 18,999 Wow what a Truck " >>> Drivers New, Rides New, Looks New, I even Like the Dog smell...lol I think,they used it for hauling Newspapers around. It has a clean carfax 1 owner,oil, and services,were did at the Dealership. Oh" No tow package, never tow a thing... New life,will be taking me and the dog to the lake, with the jonboat behind. I am 58 years old The truck is going to out last me....? when i get into my late 70's The truck will only have 80,000 miles on it. Someone will be getting a good truck then... Happy Motoring......

Me and my Taco
By Stacey

2005 Toyota Tacoma 4dr Access Cab PreRunner V6 Rwd SB (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

This has been a great truck. I've put 200,000 miles on the odometer and the truck runs and drives like the day we met. I'm going to miss this truck.

Great motor and reliable but Toyota quality poor.
By Dollarbill

2005 Toyota Tacoma 4dr Double Cab PreRunner V6 Rwd SB (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Having owned this Truck 10 years it has been reliable and solid. Poor gas milage and plasticky interior, doors are Fisher Price plastic and cracking.. Roomy in double cab. Beware of Toyota and them not confessing their problems with cracking leaf Springs and rusty frames. Toyota hides until they are smoked out on the many suspension problems.. Finally received my reimbursement from the bean counters at Toyota after taking them to the BBB and they shorted my on the install. I won't be buying from Toyota again due to this public relations nightmare and their treatment of customers . Customer service experience is abysmal and Toyota's perception of quality seems to be riding on the past.

My '05 PreRunner 10 Years Later
By timztoytac

2005 Toyota Tacoma 4dr Access Cab PreRunner V6 Rwd SB (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Generally speaking, the Tacome is without a doubt the Best Looking Mid-Size Pickup out there. The 4.0L V6 is an excellent power plant with great acceleration and towing capability. The interior is average at best, although improvements have come on later models, it is stil very comfortable on long drives and easy to get Ina and out of. The handling capability for this truck is pretty solid around turns and the ride suspension is pretty decent as well. Obviously Tacomas Rule, because everywhere I go, I see them more than any other truck.

Perhaps my most favorite feature is the Horsepower the 4.0L V6 produces. From a standstill to freeway speed, you feel it pulling very well. Passing speeds are just as good, with no hesitation, a quick downshift and BAM, away you go!!! Another of the features I love is the overall body style and look of the Tacoma. The fender flares and the grille are pretty awesome, especially with aftermarket rims and tires. But the overall design leaves the competition scratching their heads, I mean nothing comes close in the esthetic value. Perhaps this is why minimal changes have been made since it's inception in 2005. So far, after 10 years, I still love my truck!! Hoping to replace it soon.

Everyone will agree that this truck is a Gas Hog!!! Driving like Grandma around town gets me 16MPG if I'm super slow and very lucky. The best HWY I ever got was 23MPG, with the help of a 55 MPH zone enforced by Radar. Otherwise, drivng like Speed Racer, drops overall mileage to a dismal 11MPG at best, but al lot of fun though! I had the unfortunate experience of my Pre-CATS going bad after the Federal Warranty period of 80K Miles by, get this, 1100 miles, and Toyota would not budge on it either!!!! Sucked for me because I had to replace them both for about $1,800 Total, of course, doing it myself. Toyota quoted me $3,200 for the job!!!! One more thing, the rear suspension SUCKS!!

Very great truck!
By jeremy_good

2005 Toyota Tacoma 4dr Double Cab V6 4WD SB (4.0L 6cyl 6M)

I've got 90/10 good and bad reviews. I like the radio, which I have the V6 SR5 4x4 model with the TRD Off-Road pck, and nothing more I could say about how great it is to drive! The manual transmission, though, I got to say that I don't like. I hear a slight thump whenever the gear's lever hits the end of the outline of the transmission gear shifter. The speaker system is bad and rad. It make the volume feel like it's at 30 when it's really on 18!

Absolutely love the radio system and speakers. Love how powerful the engine is.

I wish they'd get rid of the manual transmission and keep the automatic.