2005 Toyota Tacoma - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Tacoma model:
Great Truck no perfect 2005
By kimon101 on 08/24/13 18:22 PM (PDT)

2005 Toyota Tacoma 4dr Double Cab PreRunner V6 Rwd LB (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

At 80,000 miles after towing a car on a dolly 1500 miles one universal joint went out. Replaced all 3. Replaced one wheel barring (so far). Cab fan motor went out, replaced, then fan motor connector failed due to heat. Replaced connector with GM part, exactly the same only less expensive. Rear leaf springs are weak, not much weight in bed and spring bumpers are almost on the axle. In cab navigation and temp indicator failed. Poor factory solder job on components, I re soldered and is still working fine. Mesh style seat material stains easily and is hard to clean. At 148K still looking good.

lier lier toyota shame on you..
By teakrob on 09/05/12 12:31 PM (PDT)

2005 Toyota Tacoma 4dr Double Cab V6 4WD LB (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I bought it in 05 for about $33,000.00 This truck with 50K miles is a money pitt. The service is way over priced. The recalls lists are long yet are minor compared to the list of problems toyota dosnt cover. 1 frame is so weak that it CAVED IN AT THE MOTOR MOUNTS. The result 8 weeks in the shop countless calls to toyota and b/s forever to have them say I need a new frame and it would be around $13,000 to repair my truck what a joke, not a funny one. 2 Newest problem @ 86Kmiles bad cats all four, around $5000.00 to replace. 5 weeks in shop to have them tell me that toyota will cover $1000.00 of it after I pay in full. I can't afford it and no smog w/light on so Im SOL save your money

158,000 miles and still going strong
By mar18 on 03/20/12 20:52 PM (PDT)

2005 Toyota Tacoma 2dr Regular Cab Rwd SB (2.7L 4cyl 4A)

love my pickup. i drive it alot and its never given me trouble. i sometimes carry heavy loads in it and it never struggles, does a really good job. gas mileage could be better but not bad.(26mpg combined)

05 Taco DC-LB 4x4
By 05taco on 01/21/11 11:33 AM (PST)

2005 Toyota Tacoma 4dr Double Cab V6 4WD LB (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Two simple words: Phenomenal truck! This is the second Tacoma I've owned since 97. This truck has been 100% reliable in the MN winters. 25 below or 12 inches of snow will not slow this truck down. I've owned other trucks that were cheaper in price, but with the Tacoma you get what you pay for. Compared to other mid-size (or full-size) trucks, its a great value. 100K miles and just broken in!

Most Reliable Vehicle I've Ever Owned!
By edmundsreviewer on 10/31/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2005 Toyota Tacoma 4dr Double Cab V6 4WD SB (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I picked this truck up early 2006, and it has been a pleasure to drive. I just had to perform my first non- routine maintenance on the truck (front brake job)@ 80K. These brakes lasted 20K longer than any other vehicle I've owned. I use this car for everything including , commuting, hauling, towing, and driving the beaches of the OBX. The truck still drives like the day I got her, without any squeaks or rattles. I'm getting the itch to buy a new car (lexus ES350 or Corvette), but my Tacoma is not going anywhere. The car is too reliable and versatile to ever think of letting it go. I have no doubt this car will go over 200K with little more than oil changes.

You had me at Taco...
By Renquest on 10/19/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2005 Toyota Tacoma 4dr Double Cab V6 4WD SB (4.0L 6cyl 6M)

I picked up my Tacoma yesterday morning. I bought it with 42k miles/1-owner for $21k. It is a blast to drive! This thing climbs hills. In 6th gear @ 50 mph. There is enough power throughout the power band. Shifting is smooth once you get use to the clutch which feels as light as a car's clutch. If you are looking to fill a semi-sports car void without loosing the utility of a truck and have room for the family, test drive a Tacoma. The reliability of a Toyota is undeniable. I plan on taking this truck to 220k.

Needs new design
By jj on 08/19/10 06:08 AM (PDT)

2005 Toyota Tacoma 4dr Access Cab PreRunner Rwd SB (2.7L 4cyl 5M)

The temp and compass above dashboard needs designed so you can read it in the daylight! Stock radio and cd player are junk, dealer quoted $700.00 to replace! Truck has great exterior design and looks great though!

Best truck I've ever had
By martin on 05/23/10 19:55 PM (PDT)

2005 Toyota Tacoma 4dr Double Cab V6 4WD SB (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I bought this truck new in December 04. It is fun to offroad in, gives me about 18 mpg. This is a way better truck than any Chevy Dodge or Ford. I've only had 1 problem with it and it was the transmission. The transmission went bad because of bad driving habits. The Toyota dealer replaced it for free and gave me a free rental until it was complete. I tow a trailer full of dirt bikes up the mountains with no problem.

Cheap quality but fun
By jake on 05/06/10 21:24 PM (PDT)

2005 Toyota Tacoma 4dr Access Cab X-Runner V6 Rwd SB (4.0L 6cyl 6M)

Bought used with 50,000 and now my transmission went out, clutch, shocks, and the grill flew off on the free way. It's still a blast to drive and I like the styling and the size with a six speed manual. It needs more horse power and insulation. Bumpy all most drove off the free way twice.

Good truck
By ExcuseI! on 04/05/10 20:04 PM (PDT)

2005 Toyota Tacoma 4dr Double Cab PreRunner V6 Rwd SB (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Bought used in 2008, have literally driven it across the country. (Truck has about 110k miles on it now) Avgs 16-25 mpg. Took it tailgating in the southeast with 4 adults and gear and got 25 mpg on highway in "mountainous" terrain of western NC and SC. The truck has been worry free over about 15k miles. The power from the V6 has been more than adequate with hauling rocks, dirt and plants/trees for homeowner "fun" and around town. I haven't towed with it. 60# dog fits in back of cab nicely as the seats fold flat and have a robust back. The cubbyholes behind and under the rear seats were borderline genius (they have become more common now, I think). The power outlet in truck bed is handy.