2004 Toyota Tacoma Consumer Review: Serves the purpose well

2004 Toyota Tacoma Xtracab - Consumer Review

Serves the purpose well
By spyd3rm4n on

2004 Toyota Tacoma 2dr Xtracab Rwd SB (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

The Tacoma is a great truck. I bought a 2004 which is the last year of this body style. It is getting outdated, but it is a very solid truck with a proven record of success. The 2.4L engine provides enough power to allow you to haul heavy loads once in a while, yet it is still practical enough to drive every day. The build quality is far superior to other compact trucks (Nissan Frontier, Chevy S-10, Dodge Dakota). I would suggest getting the manual transmission as it will get better gas mileage and will be better for hauling heavy loads. I got the automatic because I spend 80% of my time driving in city traffic and don't like shifting.

Favorite Features

Excellent build quality - very solid. Bulletproof drivetrain. Very reliable and dependable. You can easily get 300,000 miles out of these trucks. Engine provides enough power for moderate hauling and gets great fuel economy.

Suggested Improvements

Style is outdated. Seats are thin and stiff. No third or fourth rear door - difficult to get in and out of the back. Engine is noisy and raspy sounding. Stock wheels/tires on the 4x2 non-PreRunner look strange.