Used 2004 Toyota Tacoma Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2004 Toyota Tacoma - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Tacoma model:

10 year review
By whitetacoma04

2004 Toyota Tacoma 2dr Regular Cab Rwd SB (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

Got my Taco in 2005 w/ 12k miles while visiting O.C CA. I consider it my first-born child. It has 50,200 on it now, and a set of spark plugs are the only thing I`ve put into it besides oil/lube changes. Timing belt this year due to age only. Has plenty of power for what you put in bed, small trailer. 26 mpg is about the best I can get on highway due to lack of cruz and the fact it drives out good around 75mph. My neighbor drives a 1996 base model @ work that has 550k last I saw. It`s on clutch #3, the u-joints in the steering & driveshaft are the other replaced items. Oil still needs no checking between 5k changes. If you maintain your Yota you can count on them for a good, long time. Word

Favorite Features

Crisp steering, good sheet metal curves, brakes, all good quality.

Suggested Improvements

Painted ventshades, re-useable air filter, flowmaster muff, tonneau cover, tint strip on top of windshield. See my slightly modified 2004 Tacoma base model at www.trucktrend.com/readersrides

Tremendous Vehicle
By dennis_rhodes

2004 Toyota Tacoma 2dr Regular Cab Rwd SB (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

My dad bought me a brand new 2004 Toyota Tacoma regular cab extended cab when i graduated high school, that was now 9 years ago and this thing is still running, i have 335078 miles on it and it still feels like it did the day i came home and saw it in the drive way. i have only had to change the oil and rotate the tires, i have had no mechanical or any other problems for that matter. I LOVE THIS TRUCK

278,000 miles and counting
By gene_neill

2004 Toyota Tacoma 2dr Xtracab PreRunner V6 Rwd SB (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

I bought my Prerunner new in 2004. My previous truck was an F-250, so it was tough to give up the size, and the big V8 engine - in fact I still miss those things. But this truck just keeps on and keeps on and KEEPS ON, so I just can't complain anymore. In all these miles, I have done pretty much NOTHING except change the oil, and whatnot. The only thing that has ever broken was the power steering pump, somewhere around 150K miles. I plan to continue driving this as my main (and only) work and personal vehicle at least until it hits 350,000. I see no reason to believe that will be a problem.

Favorite Features

It looks sharp and never breaks down.

Suggested Improvements

The clock is hidden behind the steering wheel. You have to crane your neck over to the right in order to see what time it is. I could wish for better mileage than the 18mpg highway that it gets.

Best truck...EVER!Bou
By sierratoy

2004 Toyota Tacoma 2dr Xtracab V6 4WD SB (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

I bought my 2004 4X4 TRD December 03. 2004 was last year of the compact size. Didn't want the larger midsize 05 model. Extremely durable and reliable. Off road capabilities are superb. It also cruises very well on the highway. Excellent in snow...deep snow. Only regular scheduled maintenance required.These trucks are the best EVER.

Favorite Features

Off road capability, cruise at highway speed, reliability, durability.

Suggested Improvements

5 speed auto tranny.

I can't believe how bad the gas mileage is on this truck.
By nycbugkiller

2004 Toyota Tacoma 2dr Xtracab 4WD SB (2.7L 4cyl 4A)

I bought this truck with 78,000 miles used in 2008. I have to say it is very reliable and it starts every time I try and fire it up. Of course it bounces all over the road like a typical small size truck does on bumpy roads. I just bought new Monroe shocks and struts that have to be installed. I'll see if that changes the ride. Regardless, when I first got it I was getting 16mpg. Don't ask what happened but I am at 142,000 miles and for some strange reason, I am now getting like 13. I have changed the spark plus, got a new air filter, new tires, I keep the air in the tires at the right poundage and I still can't understand it. And it's a 4 cylinder.

Favorite Features

I like the xtra cab area for a trunk and the truck is fun for off road. The 4wd is great in the snow and the truck itself is very reliable. I also like all the interior features. I feel like I am in a car driving it.

Suggested Improvements

Somehow make this truck better on gas. It is so poor that I may have to sell it. The ride could be a little smoother. Besides that, this is a very good truck and very reliable. I wish it was a 6.