Used 2004 Toyota Tacoma Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2004 Toyota Tacoma - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Tacoma model:

My Used '04 Taco D-Cab
By Rattles

2004 Toyota Tacoma 4dr Double Cab V6 4WD SB (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

I bought this truck used and it only had 10k on it. Its my 3rd Toyota truck; an 89 XtraCab with 163k and a 91 4Runner with 269k (both had 22REs and 5 speeds). This truck was near-perfect for me for what I was looking for. The only problem I have had is a squeaky rear leaf spring. Otherwise it lives up to its Toyota reputation. I love the DoubleCab after having a sedan.

TRD Offroad never lets me down! I am 6'5" and have plenty of room.

My Hunting Truck
By PsychoJr

2004 Toyota Tacoma 4dr Double Cab V6 4WD SB (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

Love this vehicle! Bought as my hunting vehicle (my primary car is a Lexus LS) but use on the weekends as well. Heck, I end up driving it to work a lot too! Used to own a Tundra but like the smaller truck better. No complaints here. Reliability is excellent and off road use is great. Have taken it through lots of mud and water.

Compact design, but plenty of interior room for me. Liked much better than the 2005 model which was out when I bought this one. Handles well and fun to drive. Can haul plenty of stuff with ease.

Steering wheel blocks the clock.

My Small Truck
By cromanxx

2004 Toyota Tacoma 4dr Double Cab V6 4WD SB (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

I use my truck for pleasure and work. I pull a 3 ton dump trailer with no problem. It handles well in snow but you must engage 4 wheel drive. I don't go off road, but the ride is fine considering its a truck. I've filled the bed with pavers & cement and the truck didn't flinch. It's a reliable and dependable vehicle. I only take it to the dealer for service. I put a cap on the bed and it looks great!

Nice audio system and interior. Easy to drive and decent on gas.

it is a little tight but it is a compact pickup. is there any way to make a front wheel drive pickup for normal driving and when you need rear wheel you flip a switch? Run some heat and a/c optional into the bed to keep tools from freezing and melt snow and ice.

2nd Toyota Pickup
By RuRod

2004 Toyota Tacoma 2dr Xtracab Rwd SB (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

I sold my first Toy pickup after driving it for 22 years! The 2004 truck is very nice too. Rides good, handles well, nice fuel economy, and no mechanical problems yet after two years and about 26000 miles. Manual tranny is a bit "whiny" in 1-3 gears. Other than chugging up steep hills with the small four, I'm pretty happy. About 23 mpg in town, 28 on the freeway.

Comfortable seating. Extra cab. Nice dash lighting at night. Quality feel to controls. Sliding rear window for air circulation.

Dash clock is hidden by the steering wheel. Bed tiedowns are inadequate.

My Tacoma...
By YoTRacer158

2004 Toyota Tacoma 2dr Xtracab V6 4WD SB (3.4L 6cyl 5M)

I have had absolutely no problems with my Tacoma. My Tacoma spends just as much time in the dirt as it does on the road, and I drive very hard offroad. The only thing I have had go bad was the clutch started slipping at about 30k miles, but this was due to the extra power from the TRD supercharger combined with my hard driving style. This truck has been great to own and I would never consider owning any other other truck.

The TRD package is a must for anyone who plans on 4wheeling their truck. The rear locker has gotten me through countless tough situations.

The TRD supercharger is a great upgrade to the 3.4L Tacoma, especially when you add the URDusa fuel upgrade kit.