Used 2004 Toyota Tacoma Xtracab Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2004 Toyota Tacoma - Consumer Reviews

2004 Toyota Tacoma Xtracab

View reviews for a specific Tacoma model:

so far, so good
By Beemer

2004 Toyota Tacoma Xtracab 2dr Xtracab V6 4WD SB (3.4L 6cyl 5M)

For the money spent, the truck could have a few more bells and whistles. A good solid truck so far.

Suggested Improvements

Better fuel enconomy. A few more creature comforts.

Only one problem.
By Roye

2004 Toyota Tacoma Xtracab 2dr Xtracab PreRunner Rwd SB (2.7L 4cyl 4A)

I get 19-21 mpg it's ok. Clunking noise after stopping and then taking off agian. Doesn't do it every time, but it drives me nuts when it does. Feels like drive line is binding up. Sounds like I don't like the truck, but I do. Can say I've ever had a real problem. Rough ride, gas mpg, and that clunk only complaints. Its a truck and I guess I might be comparing it to the Toyota Highlander my wife drives. I had 2 Chevy Silverados (2001&2003)had to take them both back to the dealership to many times for minor problems. Haven't taken this truck back once. The best build quailty out there. I usually only buy American but I finally gave up and went with Quality.

Favorite Features

Prerunner look and height.

Suggested Improvements

Got what I wanted. 2005 is already out and the improvements are great. I still think my 04 looks better.

nice truck
By bjw04toyota

2004 Toyota Tacoma Xtracab 2dr Xtracab PreRunner V6 Rwd SB (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

Well this is my first Toyota. I was a Ford man but I wanted a truck that was dependable and had a good rep for making them. I put a lot of money down so I wanted to make my money good for something, and I did a lot of research and found that the Toyota Tacoma was at the top of the list of all major points, resale value, durabilty and quality.

Favorite Features

trd and diff lock, good for the off road adventures

Suggested Improvements

move the clock for better view

Great all around truck
By Bill Nelson

2004 Toyota Tacoma Xtracab 2dr Xtracab V6 4WD SB (3.4L 6cyl 5M)

I bought this Tacoma 4wd, v6, 5spd, TRD pkg. The Taco is fun to drive, looks great, handles snow like it's dry pavement, and seems as if built to last a lifetime. I've had only a slight squeak in the dash on the pass. side. I've put on over 14000 miles in 9 months driving to the mountains of NH, and this past week have tackled a 3 foot blizzard in boston with no problems. Great for a single guy/couple with no kids. Back seat good only for storage or the dog, not much more. Good factory radio, cold a/c, and supportive seats make this my commuter truck/weekend-warrior mobile! You wont regret this one.

Favorite Features

Love the V6/5spd combination, 4wd w/ locking rear diff is great in the snow/offroad, and it looks just as good all shined up as it does all muddy.

Suggested Improvements

The clock is hard to see behind the steering wheel, and possibly a lumbar support knob would be good, but otherwise i've wished for nothing more on mine.

Rollover survivor
By Deb

2004 Toyota Tacoma Xtracab 2dr Xtracab 4WD SB (2.7L 4cyl 5M)

I rolled this truck after hitting ice in a snow storm and walked away without a bruise. The pros who came to the site said they expected to be pulling me out on a stretcher. I felt secure and safe even as we flipped and I'll buy this same truck again. I'm glad the 2005 model has the bigger back area on the access cab as it was toooo small on the 2004

Favorite Features

SAFETY!