2004 Toyota Tacoma Xtracab Consumer Reviews 6

2004 Toyota Tacoma - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Tacoma model:

2004 Tacoma Consumer Reviews

Date Most Helpful Highest Rating Lowest Rating
How could I do it?
By TacoDriver

2004 Toyota Tacoma Xtracab 2dr Xtracab PreRunner V6 Rwd SB (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

My coworkers were shocked when I traded in my 98 Tacoma, they knew I loved that truck. But the new 2004 is everything I ever wanted in a truck. I ignore the "Smooth" driving complaints, and such. I bought a truck, I expect it to drive like a truck. The interior is very similar to my old Tacoma, which I liked anyway, so the truck was immediately comfortable to me. I do agree that the clock is poorly placed. (Unless of course, you don't feel any need to see it.) Suspension on the TRD is great! V6 Engine is strong, Transmission smooth, and the truck looks, feels, and drives solid. Honestly, I cannot envision the truck it will take to replace this one... but

Favorite Features

V6 is strong...solid look and feel...Transmission shifts smoothly... Honestly, my favorite feature is that it has "TOYOTA" on it. I have driven them for years, and have never know anything but reliability and quality. If you have never owned one... Buy one, you can never go wrong with a

Suggested Improvements

The clock placement, which is below Minor in my opinion. I am also not too keen on the "red" LED and Dash Lights... Maybe somebody thought that was easier on the eyes, but my old Tacoma had a bluish green light, and I like that better. Nit picky at best, I know, but it's nearly p

Expectations continue
By riverwalkerr

2004 Toyota Tacoma Xtracab 2dr Xtracab 4WD SB (2.7L 4cyl 4A)

Continuing a 10 year legacy of Toyota ownership . Tacoma purchase compliments an aging fleet 94/190K,2001/75K. Traveling home to Michigan UP ,I averaged 21.8 mpg without using cruise,but utilizing varying throttle opening with small changes in RPM that resulted in the best milage. I have made this trip hundreds of times and am usallly ragged out regardless of rest stops. Tacoma's ride with optional 16 inch tires and form bucket seats aided in the arrriving at the destination refreshed compared to previous trips. With 1235 miles ,the next ten years will reveal the story of this investment. We are hopeful as a Toyota will usually give trouble free service

Favorite Features

Excellent fit/finish Engine compartment uncluttered Easy to read instruments Quite and smooth ride no rattles bright headlamps heavy duty insulated hood Smooth shifting transmissioon

Suggested Improvements

horizontal tortion bars locking differiental standard front skid plate standard heavier skid plate for tranmission stainless exhaust optional or standard heavier rear tailgate aka Tundra improve gas milage with 6 cyl. diesel optional

Loved my TRD Taco!
By tacomarc

2004 Toyota Tacoma Xtracab 2dr Xtracab V6 4WD SB (3.4L 6cyl 5M)

I actually purchased my '99 Tacoma in 9/1999 for $22,500. It was well equipped with SR5 and the TRD-Off Road package. I wanted one with a 5-speed though, and it was very hard to find because of the "popular" build packages. If you ask my wife, she'd tell you she was jealous of it. I didn't help matters by calling it my baby. I had to sell it recently because I now have two kids that I didn't have when I bought it. It always ran perfectly. Nothing ever broke. It was great off-road, in the rain and snow. I sold it in early 2004 for $14,500, thousands more than I could have got for any other comparable '99 truck.

Favorite Features

TRD package is awesome, and a good value for what you get. Interior design and layout was very good. Good looks inside and out. Kudos to the passenger airbag "OFF" switch for short people sitting close to the dash (my wife)

Suggested Improvements

More power. Don't buy an XCAB if there are more than 2 in your family. The small jump seats in the back are only useful for emergency situations. 1 kid seat works ok on the pass. side but two is no good. Opt for the double- cab, which I hope to buy soon.

My review of the best truck ever!
By SRakaSSS

2004 Toyota Tacoma Xtracab 2dr Xtracab Rwd SB (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

This truck has been my favorite of all time. I have always had a Toyota truck and always will. This truck and my previous truck have never let me down. Everything about it is great. The reliabilty of these motors will outlast any motor on the market today. 5 thumbs up.

so far so good
By TexasAggie04

2004 Toyota Tacoma Xtracab 2dr Xtracab V6 4WD SB (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

This has been a great truck so far. The window sticker said mileage would be 16-19 MPG and that is about right for me. I probably average about 18 and can squeeze over 20 if I drive 65 (night-time limit). Overall build seems solid and the truck rides well on-road and off. Don't buy it if you want V-8 power though, the 6 cylinder just can't deliver as much juice. Maybe with that TRD Supercharger...

Favorite Features

Great appearance, OK gas mileage, will probably drive over anything I point it towards. The 4X4 engages easily. Fun to drive. The stereo is pretty good for a factory original, but I am considering upgrading. The Tacoma really is a fun truck to drive.

Suggested Improvements

More power please! I am used to V-8's and miss their punch. Also, the cruise does not keep speed very well and downshifts too often. My truck developed a dashboard rattle very quickly after purchasing, but the radio drowns it out. Driver cannot see the clock! Wear a watch.

keeps on going even through mud and high
By ajjr

2004 Toyota Tacoma Xtracab 2dr Xtracab V6 4WD SB (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

never stops running even in blizzards,floods, muds, and as for pulling others out of mud bogs diff lock works great

Favorite Features

all

Suggested Improvements

none

"I Love My Toyota"
By shirl

2004 Toyota Tacoma Xtracab 2dr Xtracab V6 4WD SB (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

this the second toyota truck i have owned. my other truck ran for about 12 yrs. i would not buy another make of truck. i have recommened this vehicle to many of my friends, who, incidently, bought one! i haul furniture, mulch, stones, plants, trees,etc. with no problem. the 4 wheel drive is a necessity, no matter where you live. in essesence, i love my toyota!! (recommend 4-door, even if you are only one person using) back seat access easier for groceries, etc.

Favorite Features

of course, the 4 wheel drive. looks of interior, gages, handy storage compartments. SR5 package is very useful.

Suggested Improvements

As a female (and there are many of us driving trucks now), i would like a visor mirror on the driver's side!!! Also, move the glove box handle closer to the driver's side for easier access.

OK it's a Toy
By deadfred

2004 Toyota Tacoma Xtracab 2dr Xtracab Rwd SB (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

It was and still is and will always be one of the best if not the best truck made

Favorite Features

All

Suggested Improvements

None

First Toyota truck
By Mastermason

2004 Toyota Tacoma Xtracab 2dr Xtracab PreRunner V6 Rwd SB (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

Great looks and power. A very smooth ride that sets up high. No complaints.

Favorite Features

The valve stems are color coded in respect to the psi in a tire, and a numerical psi on top of the colored valve. At just a glance, I can see the air pressure in each tire, which allows the best fuel economy avalible.

Suggested Improvements

Add a third or fourth door.

great truck
By kingdmn

2004 Toyota Tacoma Xtracab 2dr Xtracab 4WD SB (2.7L 4cyl 4A)

i put ladder racks on my truck and use it every day for my construction business

Favorite Features

you cant overload it.it will haul anything.

Suggested Improvements

a longbed truck