Used 2004 Toyota Tacoma Double Cab Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2004 Toyota Tacoma Double Cab - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Tacoma model:

Meets my needs
By truck buyer

2004 Toyota Tacoma Double Cab 4dr Double Cab PreRunner V6 Rwd SB (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

Bought the vehicle after much comparing between Colorado/Tacoma. I am NOT a foreign car snob--I drive what works money wise and needs wise. If Chevy had been offering 0% when I was looking it would have been a toss- up. That being said: It is more comfortable on the road then I initially imagined. The Dif lock is great--got me unstuck in mud twice already. The ground clearance is nice. I get 19mpg in town and 21mpg on the hi-way in New Mexico. I have 5800 miles on it with no problems. It is tight and fun to drive, but watch the back end. Acceleration is fine, but I am a light footed driver.

Looks, reputed reliability/resale (call me in 150K miles), ground clearance, locking dif., good stereo

CLOCK PLACEMENT, maybe improve the ride a bit (less springy). Longer seat bottoms for leg support. Improve quality of cloth on seats.

Slightly too small
By 2nd thoughts???

2004 Toyota Tacoma Double Cab 4dr Double Cab PreRunner V6 Rwd SB (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

I have owned my V6 Double Cab Tacoma for almost exactly one year now and for the most part...I love it. However, the head room and leg room are a bit too small for someone who is much over 6' tall. Also, the front seats are not very wide. I looked at the Ford F150 but was too scared at the time to buy a Ford. The Double Cab Tundra had just come out and so I figured would settle on the Tacoma. I hate to sell or trade it in but the interior size and truck bed may force me into a Tundra or F150. P.S. Do not even consider the 4 cylinder in the Double Cab....way too underpowered!

TRD package is well worth the extra money. The truck handles like a car and so far (17K miles) not even a hint of a major problem.

I only had 15K miles before it needed front brakes. Having to put brakes on this truck each and every year may get old real fast.

Toyota = QUALITY
By harmsfarms

2004 Toyota Tacoma Double Cab 4dr Double Cab PreRunner Rwd SB (2.7L 4cyl 4A)

After a ten year hiatus from owning a truck I decided on the Double-Cab Tacoma w/ the TRD package and 4 cylinder engine. I feel the transmission is a little notchy at times, but overall a fine machine. Toyota has refined this platform to near perfection and it will continue to extend this level of buyer satisfaction through the next several decades.

4-doors as well as the sound system. Rear slider is a great feature, not found on the 4-door Nissan. The folding rear seats are great for the odd out sized stuff that you don't want to put in the bed.

Move that blasted CLOCK and change the e-brake location! A manual transmission would have been a great option as well.

wyo_taco
By wyoming taco

2004 Toyota Tacoma Double Cab 4dr Double Cab V6 4WD SB (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

Good quality,only 20mpg,cruise control is a joke,no foot room for big boots, underpowered,hard to wear coat in truck.

size,quality

change cruise control to a chevy style,more horsepower,redo interior,fire the person who decided to put clock in the space its in.

My truck
By jfreckle15

2004 Toyota Tacoma Double Cab 4dr Double Cab PreRunner Rwd SB (2.7L 4cyl 4A)

This is the first new vehicle I have ever owned and I will never buy anything but a Toyota again. I have gone on several long (8hrs) trips in my truck and it is extremely comfortable. It gets great gas milage and the cruise control is easy to use. The ample amount of cup holders comes in handy during these trips as well as the tilt steering.