2004 Toyota Tacoma - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Tacoma model:
Great Overall Truck!!
By Dan on 08/04/05 23:09 PM (PDT)

2004 Toyota Tacoma 4dr Double Cab PreRunner V6 Rwd SB (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

Have had this truck for nearly 2 years and just hit over 25K miles and it still runs perfectly. I've taken it all across Florida down to Key West 4 times from Gainesville. It can be a little uncomfortable after hours of driving, but it is a truck and not a luxury car. I get pretty good gas mileage 19-20 in the city and 22-23 on highway. It is perfect for someone who wants the versatility of a SUV and the drive of a car. I put the tonneau cover on and it makes it a giant waterproof, locked trunk with an increase in gas mileage. Once or twice the truck took a while to turn over when I started her up, but it hasn't been a problem. I wish the turning radius were better for a compact truck.

Toyota trucks can't be beat
By Uncle Dan on 07/30/05 19:23 PM (PDT)

2004 Toyota Tacoma 4dr Double Cab PreRunner V6 Rwd SB (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

I sold my beloved '88 Toyota extended cab truck to buy this one. That was the most reliable vehicle I've ever owned and I hope the Tacoma holds up as well. After 11,000 miles, no problems at all. This is a well designed and laid out small truck. I purchased it through Edmunds internet referral service and it was simple. I entered the options I wanted and the next day I got a call from North Hollywood Toyota. They had the exact vehicle I wanted in stock and quoted a price that was 10% under sticker. I may have saved more with a lot of calls, but it wasn't worth it. I told em I'd be out to pick it up and I was in and out of the dealer in less than an hour. Simple.

Best Truck on the Market!!!! I LOVE IT!
By JacksonDean05 on 07/03/05 03:05 AM (PDT)

2004 Toyota Tacoma 2dr Xtracab 4WD SB (2.7L 4cyl 5M)

This is the first NEW vehicle I have ever bought. I've now put 5,000 miles on my truck without a single problem. No sqeaks, rattles or anything. I think the gas mileage is great for a truck. Try to find an extended cab 4x4 truck now adays that gets 20 mpg in the city!! Fit and finish is top quality. I love the compact size and I'm 6'4". I think there is plenty of room. Lots of storage area in the cab believe it or not. The reason I got this truck was because of the cult following they seem to have with them. Now I know why. I don't know about the new redesigned 05's but I am sure they will be just great. Great Truck off road it will handle anything you can through at it.

Worth Every Penney
By dbatten on 06/28/05 23:35 PM (PDT)

2004 Toyota Tacoma 4dr Double Cab PreRunner V6 Rwd SB (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

Well, I've owned my Tacoma for almost a year now and it's time to review it. I had wanted one for about two years and when I found out they were changing the style for the '05 I went in and bought an '04. I'll let Toyota work the bugs out of the new design before I give it a try. Toyota is good, but not perfect and the '04 is basically the same truck they have been building for 9 years. They've had lots of time to get it right. So, what did I get for my money? I got a vehicle that I can take my wife and 3 kids in to get groceries or I can take a few buddies and enough gear to go camping for a week. It's smaller size and high ground clearance allow me to go places where others can't.

My Baby
By Amanda on 06/23/05 13:33 PM (PDT)

2004 Toyota Tacoma 2dr Xtracab PreRunner Rwd SB (2.7L 4cyl 4A)

A little rattle has turned into a squeaking annoyance. Other than that she rides well. A little bumpy here and there but overall a good truck. And for not being 4x4 she can sure tearup the trails!

Solid as a rock
By tacomadude on 06/18/05 22:36 PM (PDT)

2004 Toyota Tacoma 2dr Xtracab V6 4WD SB (3.4L 6cyl 5M)

Had this truck for a year and a half now. This is my second truck (had a 2001 Dakota V8 for a year but it turned out to be a lemon, nearly self- destructed). If you want a truck that is trouble free and solid, this is your vehicle. I loved my 01 Dakota (when it was running), but it had too many problems to keep. The Tacoma, while not as powerful or agile as the Dodge, is built much better. As long as you're not expecting sports car handling or power, this is a perfect truck.

still luv the feeling
By jake s on 06/05/05 00:56 AM (PDT)

2004 Toyota Tacoma 2dr Xtracab V6 4WD SB (3.4L 6cyl 5M)

This is my 5th toyota p/u. I always come back to them. Very reliable truck. I like the styling, interior finish.I would recommend them. Last tacoma was a 1997 with 174000 miles it is still going strong..

tacoma
By jim on 04/11/05 18:34 PM (PDT)

2004 Toyota Tacoma 4dr Double Cab V6 4WD SB (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

Interior noise @ fuel economy would be the only negatives. Average 17 winter 19 summer. Was rated at 19 so I knew this going in.

TRD Rocks
By johnny_sarcasm on 03/30/05 02:03 AM (PST)

2004 Toyota Tacoma 2dr Xtracab V6 4WD SB (3.4L 6cyl 5M)

I've done every type of wheeling that you can do, and this thing stock performs better offroad than anything (other than a jeep rubicon). Slight dash rattle but a TSB is available.

so far, so good
By Beemer on 03/22/05 00:10 AM (PST)

2004 Toyota Tacoma 2dr Xtracab V6 4WD SB (3.4L 6cyl 5M)

For the money spent, the truck could have a few more bells and whistles. A good solid truck so far.