Used 2004 Toyota Tacoma Consumer Reviews - 213 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2004 Toyota Tacoma - Consumer Reviews

2004 Toyota Tacoma

View reviews for a specific Tacoma model:

Great Truck
By Driggers

2004 Toyota Tacoma 2dr Xtracab PreRunner Rwd SB (2.7L 4cyl 4A)

Bought my first truck September 2004. Was hit from behind at about 55 mph while I was standing still. It totaled the Tacoma with on 7000 miles on it and put me in the hospital. I lived through it to buy another one before the larger 2005 Tacomas come out in November. I had bought another in Fort Worth shipped from Houston in November. I was asked why I bought another little truck exactly the same? The little truck saved my life and after three roll overs, after being hit from the rear the thing was still running, so quiet that it was still running till I turned it off. This is a great truck and I have its sister truck with about 31k four years later. You can't find a better little unit.

Great Truck!
By Scott

2004 Toyota Tacoma 2dr Xtracab V6 4WD SB (3.4L 6cyl 5M)

I bought this truck in January 2008 from a guy who did not drive it much due to his job. He had it for 3 1/2 years and only had 9100 miles on it. It still has powertrain warranty until June '09. I know have 13000 miles and I love this truck. It is V6, auto. trans., power mirror, locks, windows. TRD package is awesome. It is fun to drive and very capable off-road. The truck looks great and my friends are jealous that I found this truck with such low miles. I have had many offers from people to buy this truck. It is not for sale as I plan on driving it until the wheels fall off. I pull a trailer that weights 2400 lbs. all the time and this truck handles the job without a problem.

4X4, TRD, auto. trans., Ground clearance is great and the off-road capabilities are endless.

Better fuel economy (it is a truck, though) and more comfortable, supportive front seats.

No trouble
By KREIN

2004 Toyota Tacoma 4dr Double Cab V6 4WD SB (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

I have had this truck for about 4 years. I changed the oil, brakes, tires, wiper blades and that's it. I never had to bring it in for any service. You will not see me at the dealer. Maybe for my next truck. I would drive the truck around the world today without worries. I hate to say it but, I would never buy anything other than toyota. The last one I had was going strong with over 250,000 miles. it was ugly but ran like a clock. The gas goes a little faster than they claim. You should also give the gas a chance to get to motor before you start cranking. sometimes if you jump right in and start cranking it may be a little ruff to start.

on the fly 4 x 4, nice ride. reliable as hell.

i would like this truck with the old r22 motor. not available with 4 cyl. bring back the R22. best engine ever made.

60000 Mile Review
By DanB

2004 Toyota Tacoma 4dr Double Cab V6 4WD SB (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

I bought mine new in 2004. I have not had a single mechanical issue with the truck. An improperly tightened gas cap triggered a check engine light several months back, but it cleared itself. This truck has good low range power. I have had 1200 pounds of hardwood floors in the bed and have pulled a 21-foot Ranger boat with it. It pulls better than my previous full-size Bronco, but doesn't have the mid-range or top-end of other trucks. It works well within its rated capacities. I average 21 mpg, but this is because I don't drive hard. If I drove like most traffic, I'd get the advertised 18 mpg. The comfort of the seats was absolutely terrible and I have replaced the seats which helped.

Good looks. Reliability. Off-road package and rear-diff locks. Off-road capability. The tire size compared to the body size give it a nice aggressive stance

It's a moot point now since 04 was the last of the truly compact Toyotas and the Taco has been changed, but the seat comfort would be the biggest gripe.

Perfect size for me
By Ron Shaw

2004 Toyota Tacoma 2dr Regular Cab Rwd SB (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this truck used in 06. I wanted this smaller size, not the larger size the Tacoma has become. Mine is a fairly basic truck, standard cab with air and stereo. Nothing else. It has turned out to be just what I expected. A simple truck that is very capable, with the Toyota reliability I have come to expect. I have loaded it down with 1500 pounds of bamboo flooring, and the 4 cyl 5 spd manual was not taxed at all. This truck gives you the feeling that it will do whatever you ask it to do.

Good basic utility vehicle.

Better seats. My lower back starts to complain a bit after about half an hour. Not severe, but could be improved.