2004 Toyota Tacoma - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Tacoma model:
EXPENSIVE JUNK
By santafenm on 11/28/05 12:58 PM (PST)

2004 Toyota Tacoma 4dr Double Cab V6 4WD SB (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

Cannot drive when snowing as transmission linkage freezes in Drive. Have to carry cement blocks in bed so I can block wheels when frozen. Have to wait til temp is above freezing to get into N or P to start. Took to dealer. They didnt fix it - just thawed it out and gave it back to me. Just got out of shop as a rock hit the underside of truck on a dirt road and punctured the gas tank ($700 to fix). I own a $30K 4WD pickup that cannot be driven on dirt roads or in the snow - AWFUL.

Everything I needed...
By TacoTruck on 11/06/05 20:59 PM (PST)

2004 Toyota Tacoma 2dr Regular Cab Rwd SB (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

I have a base 2wd Taco with Clock and enhancement pk. as the only options. This truck was exactly what I was expecting - no frills transportation with hauling capability, my 88 Civic with a picup bed basically. I get around 30 mpg on the highway, can haul mulch and mountain bikes, evan occasionally pulling a trailer for short distances. Resale value seems extrmemly high. Reliability wasn't what I was expecting from a Toyota, however as it was in the shop 5 times for coil packs and alignment. Also, the Wrangler HP tires are DANGEROUS in the wet - can't wait to replace. I added an OEM bedliner and CD/cassette purchased from online auctions, which really increased the value of the vehicle to me

Best Value Ever
By Perry Hammmons on 10/22/05 10:56 AM (PDT)

2004 Toyota Tacoma 2dr Xtracab 4WD SB (2.7L 4cyl 5M)

This truck is the best of the 3 Toyota pickups I've owned since 1987. Checking the Kelly Blue Book and Nada a year after purchase I found it has INCREASED in value. I paid $19,888 for it and with $15,500 miles on it retail book is $22,000 Wholesale is just a few hundred dollars less than the purchase price.

My First Truck
By Hacksaw on 10/14/05 01:31 AM (PDT)

2004 Toyota Tacoma 4dr Double Cab V6 4WD SB (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

I never wanted a pickup truck, but my wife always has these projects, and we needed a way to transport our supplies. We decided on the 4-door so we could use it like a car when traveling with friends. I'm a dedicated Toyota owner, so the Tacoma was an easy choice. Off-road this little truck is a performer. The ride is a little stiff, but once you load up the bed it smoothes right out. I got the Rhino liner, now I just need a cover to improve the gas milage.

Great truck!
By Rob on 09/06/05 14:41 PM (PDT)

2004 Toyota Tacoma 2dr Xtracab Rwd SB (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

I was looking for a pickup that handled like a car and comparable gas milage, the Tacoma fits the bill. Pleasantly surprised to find a/c, stereo and cruise all on this trim level (SR5). Rear-end skip takes some getting used to, but otherwise handles well. Highway milage greatly improves with tailgate down (or off).

Never wanted a truck
By Mikey on 08/29/05 18:42 PM (PDT)

2004 Toyota Tacoma 4dr Double Cab V6 4WD SB (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

I personally never wanted a truck. I took this vehicle for a test drive (my wife said it was a "cute" truck) in the parking lot of a closed down supermarket - 1.5 feet of snow with 4 foot drifts (TRD package). It walked through it with ease, so I bought it and added a spray in bed liner and cover. I've taken it off-road, on highway trips and towed many different trailers. It's done everything I've asked of it. With the TRD package, the ride is a little stiff until you throw 500lbs in the bed. After buying it, I'm not sure how we got along without it.

Sets a Standard for quality
By AJAX on 08/20/05 19:15 PM (PDT)

2004 Toyota Tacoma 4dr Double Cab PreRunner Rwd SB (2.7L 4cyl 4A)

I bought this Prerunner double-cab in Feb. 2004. It has the V-6 engine. My mileage has steadly increased to 22 mpg. There should be more leg room in the back seat area. The quality is superior. After 31,000 miles everything works perfectly. This is my second Tacoma truck and I continue to be amazed at the reliability built into these trucks.

Disappointed
By Taco on 08/19/05 10:52 AM (PDT)

2004 Toyota Tacoma 4dr Double Cab PreRunner V6 Rwd SB (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

The transmission has a shift problem. The dealer was able to somewhat correct the problem but it by far the worst shifting automatic transmission I have ever driven. It is very hard to park this truck. I am trading the truck in on a 2005 Toyota Tundra next week. I hope I have better luck.

Nice Truck
By blippo on 08/17/05 19:57 PM (PDT)

2004 Toyota Tacoma 2dr Xtracab V6 4WD SB (3.4L 6cyl 5M)

I picked the 2004 over the 2005 model because of the styling inside and out. I have an automatic model with the 6 cylinder motor and it gives plenty of power. The 4 cylinder model that I drove was not enough power for me. I get 23 mpg on highway and 19 city which I am very satisfied with. This truck is fun to drive. You can manuver in and out of tight places. Just the right size for me.

Great Overall Truck!!
By Dan on 08/04/05 23:09 PM (PDT)

2004 Toyota Tacoma 4dr Double Cab PreRunner V6 Rwd SB (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

Have had this truck for nearly 2 years and just hit over 25K miles and it still runs perfectly. I've taken it all across Florida down to Key West 4 times from Gainesville. It can be a little uncomfortable after hours of driving, but it is a truck and not a luxury car. I get pretty good gas mileage 19-20 in the city and 22-23 on highway. It is perfect for someone who wants the versatility of a SUV and the drive of a car. I put the tonneau cover on and it makes it a giant waterproof, locked trunk with an increase in gas mileage. Once or twice the truck took a while to turn over when I started her up, but it hasn't been a problem. I wish the turning radius were better for a compact truck.