2004 Toyota Tacoma Base Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2004 Toyota Tacoma - Consumer Reviews

2004 Tacoma Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Tacoma model:

Sort Reviews by

2004 Tacoma sr5 with the TRD package
By ChefNeil

2004 Toyota Tacoma 2dr Xtracab V6 4WD SB (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

I bought the 2004 Tacoma, fully loaded, extended cab, for $24,000. When researching the compact pickups, I had read the ride was horriable in the tacoma. The ride infact is better than any pickup I have ever been in, and similar to a car. We just got 8" of snow, and the 4x4 handling was outstanding. When i want the truck to get up and go, s

Favorite Features

My favorite feature has to be the TRD package. Touch of a button 4x4, big tires, beefed up suspension, mean lookin bo

Suggested Improvements

I would work on a better sound system. Dont get me wrong, it works fine, but something with a little more jaz

o what a feelin
By Rogcooksen

2004 Toyota Tacoma 4dr Double Cab PreRunner V6 Rwd SB (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

great truck. plenty of power. pulls my boat with no problem. never gave me any trouble. jus turn key and go

Favorite Features

Suggested Improvements

may be V8 would be nice

Good truck, rough ride
By Bull gator

2004 Toyota Tacoma 4dr Double Cab V6 4WD SB (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

I actually purchased this truck in june of 2002. During the first couple of months I really enjoyed this truck. But, then the harsh ride and the plywood seats started hurting my back every time I went off road or on a trip for longer than 2 hours. I am getting ready to purchase a 1500 crew cab chevy in june, and I can't wait for that smoother ride and those soft seats.

Favorite Features

Off road capability, fuel milage.

Suggested Improvements

Different shocks, softer seats, and a bigger bed.

Tacoma Prerunner Review
By fpsakes1

2004 Toyota Tacoma 4dr Double Cab PreRunner V6 Rwd SB (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

I have found that this truck is first class in nearly every respect. The ride is comfortable and I have not experienced any problems with my lower back after an extended period of driving. It is a very responsive vehicle, with no delay in acceleration at critical times. Nor, is there any sway when cornering or at highway speeds around curves. I have no criticisms about the interior decor. (See below about the clock and rear head restraints.)

Favorite Features

I very much like the two extra seats with their full-sized doors which gives me a great deal of interior space. I also like the open bed for hauling bulky or dirty items. There is no problem with "messing up" the interior as with an SUV.

Suggested Improvements

The head restraints on the back seats interfere with rear viewing and the clock is very, very poorly situated. In order to view the clock, I must lean way over the center console

tacoma
By jamesmoo

2004 Toyota Tacoma 2dr Xtracab 4WD SB (2.7L 4cyl 4A)

great fun truck, bulletproof.

Favorite Features

great looks,timeless

Suggested Improvements

needs more power in the 4 cyl 2.7,and more available performance parts for that motor

A Really Great Compact Truck
By ursa5000

2004 Toyota Tacoma 4dr Double Cab PreRunner V6 Rwd SB (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

The five words to describe my truck: Solid..Reliable...Workhorse... Practical...Fun. We leased a 2001 that we added running boards, a Leer Camper shell and a bed liner. We have hauled fire wood, funiture, bricks, yellow labs, grandfather clocks, and antiques. The engine loves to be pushed and I have not had a single engine problem. The auto transmission shifts hard from second to first . Make no mistake this is a truck and it is a bit top heavy so no Hollywood driving. Yesterday ,I bought a new Corolla for the wife. The dealer saw my truck in the lot, and one thing led to another and I traded a for a new 2004 truck with ABS and lock dif..

Favorite Features

Heating and air systems work really well. Good handling with a full load. Peppy engine..great for crusing the interstates on vacation. Four terrific cup holders

Suggested Improvements

Better audio systems. The stereo sounds too bright . Needs better subwoofers. Seats are good but not excellent.

my truck
By crewcabman

2004 Toyota Tacoma 4dr Double Cab PreRunner V6 Rwd SB (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

its a great looking truck and you can put items in the back seat in bad weather instead of the truck bed.

Favorite Features

off road package,power windows,mirrors,locks,orange illumination,stereo,luggage rack,off road tires

Suggested Improvements

the ride can be improved for sure as well as the fuel economy

so far so good
By TacomaHi

2004 Toyota Tacoma 4dr Double Cab PreRunner V6 Rwd SB (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

I am to say the least pretty impressed so far with my 2004 Tacoma. I assummed the ride would be a lot rougher than what it actually is. It is actually very smooth. Engin seems pretty much up to anything that I want to do. The overall workman ship is excellant.

Favorite Features

The truck is all around very well built in my opinion.

Suggested Improvements

Dispite the overall exellence of this truck the ergonomics were an after thought. Whats up with that stupid clock placement??

Poor Quality Truck
By Michael_F

2004 Toyota Tacoma 2dr Xtracab V6 4WD SB (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

Purchased truck from Molle Toyota of Missouri in KC. The truck was delivered to me with a leaky radiator hose & a deformed plastic piece that surrounds the clock inside the truck & several other defects inside the truck. Some of the other defects inside the truck as follows: (1). Flexible rubber cover that covers the seat hinge gets crushed into the hinge when you move the upper part of the seat completely forward, you can check this out for yourself on any Toyota truck. (2). Cutouts in the carpet of the seat for the head rest are too large for the plastic piece that is designed to cover them up. (3). Dash pieces are cheap & do not line up properly.

Favorite Features

Power of the V6 & keyless entry.

Suggested Improvements

Improve the quality of the interior of the truck & have better QA of the truck before it leaves the manufacturing plant.

2004 Tacoma Prerunner
By MaxOut702

2004 Toyota Tacoma 2dr Xtracab PreRunner V6 Rwd SB (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

this is the second tacoma prerunner I have purchased in the last 4 years they are so much fun to drive and are so reliable.