Used 2004 Toyota Tacoma Xtracab Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2004 Toyota Tacoma Xtracab - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Tacoma model:

Love it
By Tank

2004 Toyota Tacoma Xtracab 2dr Xtracab V6 4WD SB (3.4L 6cyl 5M)

I love my Tacoma, i think I have talked about 3 people into buying my truck. The thing is built well, barely have to do any maintenance on it. I got my truck with 23 miles on it, now it has about 117,000 miles. My baby has not let me down yet, it drives well in the snow, rain and basically loves going off roading from time to time. I would suggest my Tacoma to anyone.

TRD package, 4 wheel drive, full spare, solid build, great engine, low maintenance, easy to use and has plenty of options.

more comfortable seats, should come with a trailer attachment in all models, better interior lighting.

nice truck
By john

2004 Toyota Tacoma Xtracab 2dr Xtracab PreRunner V6 Rwd SB (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

This is a TRD I bought and am very happy with it. Getting in and out of it is a problem sometimes. The step bars are nice, but then you bang your head on the door frame. The clock placement is demented. I have never been able to see it without looking around the steering wheel. I miss full set of instruments on the dash in front of me, and a locking gas filler. All said, still enjoy owning and driving it.

tough as nails very reliable fun to drive

needs better and complete instrument package better seats

Very Dependable!
By Hunter

2004 Toyota Tacoma Xtracab 2dr Xtracab Rwd SB (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

This is a great truck! I chose to buy the smaller Tacoma with the 2.4 4-cyl for better gas mileage. I calculate my mpg at every fill-up and consistently get 22-23 mpg. This includes 50%hwy/50% city driving. I am pretty easy on the pedal so that makes a difference. The auto trans is a little sluggish in city driving. It is geared pretty low so it can pull what it's rated for. I just wish it had a little more "get- up." Extended cab was not made for people. It is best for storing tools or groceries. I hate that I have to sell it but with a growing family it doesn't have enough room. This truck has really held its value!!

-OD on/off button -SR5 package -Airbag on/off switch -3 cupholders -comfortable armrest -comfortable lumbar seats -when you turn the truck off it automatically turns off your lights even if you leave the switch on -bed is low to the ground for easy loading/unloading

-little more HP -3rd door for extended cab

Love This Truck!
By Sybaris

2004 Toyota Tacoma Xtracab 2dr Xtracab PreRunner V6 Rwd SB (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

Found an '04 V6 PreRunner with SR5 and TRD package with only 24k miles on it. Still smelled new! I had an S10 and the difference is amazing. The smooth ride, power, fuel economy, and options on this truck make S10's and Rangers look and feel antiquated.

Very smooth ride, V6, 16" tires, body styling, roomy extended cab.

As others have said, the clock is in the wrong place. The stereo could have been beefed up a bit.

Solid truck
By dave

2004 Toyota Tacoma Xtracab 2dr Xtracab PreRunner V6 Rwd SB (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

It's a good, solid compact truck. The clock is poorly located, the truck "thumps" when stopping and starting and feels like it's almost airborne on the freeway. With the TRD package, the ride is harsh. Beyond that whining, the truck handles well, has good headroom, and all the power I need (I did improve its breathing by adding an additional port on the filter box to allow more air in. It's been reliable, with no problems other than what I noted above, except the dash rattles against the windshield, which was fixed by installing weather stripping to muffle this sound. My only regret was not getting a 4x4 since it's of little use in snow (the rear locker doesn't really help).

Electronic Control Transmission button that increases the shift points; readily accessible overdrive, good stereo, easy to handle and park.

Move the dash clock, work to eliminate the rattles and bumps, have rear access doors for the extended cab.