2004 Toyota Tacoma Xtracab - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Tacoma model:
Love my Truck
By skippette on 07/02/09 10:02 AM (PDT)

2004 Toyota Tacoma Xtracab 2dr Xtracab PreRunner V6 Rwd SB (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

I love my Tacoma. I used to drive a full size Dodge Ram and wanted something smaller and something that would fit in my garage. I got the Xtra cab which is great for transporting things in bad weather if you don't have a cover over the bed. I haven't had any mechanical problems with it at all. It had 1 recall which was promptly handled at the dealer. I found out by accident how to get more power out of it when merging in traffic or passing. Just turn off the overdrive and the truck rockets past traffic. Just don't forget to re-engage the overdrive once you sail past the other cars. I would definitely recommend this truck!

What a Mistake!!!
By Cravix02 on 05/25/09 19:04 PM (PDT)

2004 Toyota Tacoma Xtracab 2dr Xtracab Rwd SB (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

I have a very annoying clunking sound when stopping and when taking off; seems like the transmission was slipping, and or the drive shaft was very loose. Took it to the dealership in Greenville, and Greer, and they said it is normal, that they drive like that... What a piece of junk. I bought it believing it was going to be like my old 87, but it is not even close. It also has a whistling sound in the cabin, even when at idle, Toyota also said it is normal, it vibrates, and nobody seems to find the problem, I have new tires and rims, balanced and aligned 4 times, at different places, and Toyota says it is not too much of a vibration!

Great Truck
By Driggers on 08/25/08 13:54 PM (PDT)

2004 Toyota Tacoma Xtracab 2dr Xtracab PreRunner Rwd SB (2.7L 4cyl 4A)

Bought my first truck September 2004. Was hit from behind at about 55 mph while I was standing still. It totaled the Tacoma with on 7000 miles on it and put me in the hospital. I lived through it to buy another one before the larger 2005 Tacomas come out in November. I had bought another in Fort Worth shipped from Houston in November. I was asked why I bought another little truck exactly the same? The little truck saved my life and after three roll overs, after being hit from the rear the thing was still running, so quiet that it was still running till I turned it off. This is a great truck and I have its sister truck with about 31k four years later. You can't find a better little unit.

Great Truck!
By Scott on 08/08/08 13:58 PM (PDT)

2004 Toyota Tacoma Xtracab 2dr Xtracab V6 4WD SB (3.4L 6cyl 5M)

I bought this truck in January 2008 from a guy who did not drive it much due to his job. He had it for 3 1/2 years and only had 9100 miles on it. It still has powertrain warranty until June '09. I know have 13000 miles and I love this truck. It is V6, auto. trans., power mirror, locks, windows. TRD package is awesome. It is fun to drive and very capable off-road. The truck looks great and my friends are jealous that I found this truck with such low miles. I have had many offers from people to buy this truck. It is not for sale as I plan on driving it until the wheels fall off. I pull a trailer that weights 2400 lbs. all the time and this truck handles the job without a problem.

Incredible
By Gregg on 07/03/07 15:19 PM (PDT)

2004 Toyota Tacoma Xtracab 2dr Xtracab V6 4WD SB (3.4L 6cyl 5M)

I have owned this truck for just over 2 years now and have loved every minute. The Tacoma is an all around fun truck to drive. I've been on sand at lake powell, mountains all over, mud and snow, and the thing just keeps going. I love how this truck performs. It has never disappointed me.

First Toyota
By Jon on 06/03/07 07:29 AM (PDT)

2004 Toyota Tacoma Xtracab 2dr Xtracab V6 4WD SB (3.4L 6cyl 5M)

Have driven my 04 Tacoma thru blizzards and up mountaintops in Colorado with no problem. Have driven cross country very comfortably and I'm 6'5''. Love the way it looks. Glad I got the 04 and not the 05. Not too big, not too small. Have owned Rangers and Cherokees and there is no comparison.

2004 Toyota Tacoma V6 Ext. Cab PreRunner
By D Sistrunk on 05/03/07 04:58 AM (PDT)

2004 Toyota Tacoma Xtracab 2dr Xtracab PreRunner V6 Rwd SB (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

I purchased this truck about a month ago, and am so impressed by it. It does everything I need to do, and more. If you are looking for a small truck, that sits like a 4x4, gets good gas mileage, and looks great, this is the one for you.

Gets the Job Done
By Day Tripper on 04/01/07 20:03 PM (PDT)

2004 Toyota Tacoma Xtracab 2dr Xtracab PreRunner V6 Rwd SB (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

This is a great truck with a lot of get up and go. The Tacoma is well-built and Toyota's trademark mechanical craftsmanship has not disappointed. However, there are two areas that have been below par. The comfort is not the greatest. This isn't the vehicle one wants to travel in for long distances! The other detractor is the emergency brake. I can't even tell the brake is engaged. A couple of times I have forgotten to let it out, I have still been able to roll backward and drive forward without realizing the brake was on. In addition, the brake is ancient in its design - a pull out stick under the ignition. That may have something to do with its effectiveness.

Gotta Love It
By Jim Thorpe on 11/28/06 10:49 AM (PST)

2004 Toyota Tacoma Xtracab 2dr Xtracab 4WD SB (2.7L 4cyl 5M)

Awesome. Living in the Pocono Mtns of PA this truck goes anywhere anytime and it's a blast to drive on the winding back roads. Bought it to get me to the trout streams and ski slopes which it does just great. However, I've driven it to SC repeatedly with no complaints and used it to build a couple brick patios out back. It hauled repeated loads of brick, gravel, and sand like a mule. No complaints about the 24 MPG for a truck either. Quicker out of the hole would be nice, but thats a compromise I knew I was making for the gas mileage when I bought it. I am an outdoorsman and "do it yourselfer" so this vehicle is ideally suited to my lifestyle.

2nd Toyota Pickup
By RuRod on 04/15/06 07:34 AM (PDT)

2004 Toyota Tacoma Xtracab 2dr Xtracab Rwd SB (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

I sold my first Toy pickup after driving it for 22 years! The 2004 truck is very nice too. Rides good, handles well, nice fuel economy, and no mechanical problems yet after two years and about 26000 miles. Manual tranny is a bit "whiny" in 1-3 gears. Other than chugging up steep hills with the small four, I'm pretty happy. About 23 mpg in town, 28 on the freeway.