2004 Toyota Tacoma - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Tacoma model:
Love it
By Tank on 05/19/10 08:26 AM (PDT)

2004 Toyota Tacoma 2dr Xtracab V6 4WD SB (3.4L 6cyl 5M)

I love my Tacoma, i think I have talked about 3 people into buying my truck. The thing is built well, barely have to do any maintenance on it. I got my truck with 23 miles on it, now it has about 117,000 miles. My baby has not let me down yet, it drives well in the snow, rain and basically loves going off roading from time to time. I would suggest my Tacoma to anyone.

nice truck
By john on 04/07/10 22:39 PM (PDT)

2004 Toyota Tacoma 2dr Xtracab PreRunner V6 Rwd SB (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

This is a TRD I bought and am very happy with it. Getting in and out of it is a problem sometimes. The step bars are nice, but then you bang your head on the door frame. The clock placement is demented. I have never been able to see it without looking around the steering wheel. I miss full set of instruments on the dash in front of me, and a locking gas filler. All said, still enjoy owning and driving it.

Very Dependable!
By Hunter on 01/07/10 11:54 AM (PST)

2004 Toyota Tacoma 2dr Xtracab Rwd SB (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

This is a great truck! I chose to buy the smaller Tacoma with the 2.4 4-cyl for better gas mileage. I calculate my mpg at every fill-up and consistently get 22-23 mpg. This includes 50%hwy/50% city driving. I am pretty easy on the pedal so that makes a difference. The auto trans is a little sluggish in city driving. It is geared pretty low so it can pull what it's rated for. I just wish it had a little more "get- up." Extended cab was not made for people. It is best for storing tools or groceries. I hate that I have to sell it but with a growing family it doesn't have enough room. This truck has really held its value!!

Love This Truck!
By Sybaris on 12/30/09 06:10 AM (PST)

2004 Toyota Tacoma 2dr Xtracab PreRunner V6 Rwd SB (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

Found an '04 V6 PreRunner with SR5 and TRD package with only 24k miles on it. Still smelled new! I had an S10 and the difference is amazing. The smooth ride, power, fuel economy, and options on this truck make S10's and Rangers look and feel antiquated.

Can't beat a Tacoma
By photoman on 12/23/09 18:51 PM (PST)

2004 Toyota Tacoma 4dr Double Cab PreRunner V6 Rwd SB (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

This is my third Tacoma. Just do the regular maintenance and they'll run forever. Durable, reliable and fun to drive.

Happy Camper
By Real McCoy on 09/02/09 07:46 AM (PDT)

2004 Toyota Tacoma 4dr Double Cab PreRunner V6 Rwd SB (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

Best vehicle I have ever owned, very sporty looking and scheduled oil changes is only maintenance that has been required. Very happy with this vehicle.

Solid truck
By dave on 08/03/09 20:18 PM (PDT)

2004 Toyota Tacoma 2dr Xtracab PreRunner V6 Rwd SB (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

It's a good, solid compact truck. The clock is poorly located, the truck "thumps" when stopping and starting and feels like it's almost airborne on the freeway. With the TRD package, the ride is harsh. Beyond that whining, the truck handles well, has good headroom, and all the power I need (I did improve its breathing by adding an additional port on the filter box to allow more air in. It's been reliable, with no problems other than what I noted above, except the dash rattles against the windshield, which was fixed by installing weather stripping to muffle this sound. My only regret was not getting a 4x4 since it's of little use in snow (the rear locker doesn't really help).

Love my Truck
By skippette on 07/02/09 10:02 AM (PDT)

2004 Toyota Tacoma 2dr Xtracab PreRunner V6 Rwd SB (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

I love my Tacoma. I used to drive a full size Dodge Ram and wanted something smaller and something that would fit in my garage. I got the Xtra cab which is great for transporting things in bad weather if you don't have a cover over the bed. I haven't had any mechanical problems with it at all. It had 1 recall which was promptly handled at the dealer. I found out by accident how to get more power out of it when merging in traffic or passing. Just turn off the overdrive and the truck rockets past traffic. Just don't forget to re-engage the overdrive once you sail past the other cars. I would definitely recommend this truck!

What a Mistake!!!
By Cravix02 on 05/25/09 19:04 PM (PDT)

2004 Toyota Tacoma 2dr Xtracab Rwd SB (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

I have a very annoying clunking sound when stopping and when taking off; seems like the transmission was slipping, and or the drive shaft was very loose. Took it to the dealership in Greenville, and Greer, and they said it is normal, that they drive like that... What a piece of junk. I bought it believing it was going to be like my old 87, but it is not even close. It also has a whistling sound in the cabin, even when at idle, Toyota also said it is normal, it vibrates, and nobody seems to find the problem, I have new tires and rims, balanced and aligned 4 times, at different places, and Toyota says it is not too much of a vibration!

Pot hole eater
By Jeff on 04/06/09 09:27 AM (PDT)

2004 Toyota Tacoma 2dr Regular Cab Rwd SB (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

Purchased 04 standard cab new, basic nuts and bolts truck. I did put a cab cover on. The thing that stands out most on this truck is its durability. I live in a city that has lots of bad roads, and while Honda CVCC's are tiptoeing around pot holes I plow right through them, and love to look in my rear views at expressions of awe. I did have to replace the front brakes at 45K, but other than that it's very reliable and a blast to drive.