Used 2004 Toyota Tacoma Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2004 Toyota Tacoma - Consumer Reviews

2004 Toyota Tacoma

View reviews for a specific Tacoma model:

Love This Truck!
By J Love

2004 Toyota Tacoma 2dr Xtracab V6 4WD SB (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

I bought my truck in late 2003, and it just turned 100,000 mile last week. It has not needed anything other than normal maintenance (brakes need to be replaced, tires too). The worst thing is that the accelerator squeaks. I travel about 30 miles to and from work daily and it gives me a comfortable ride. The V6 helps passing the big trucks (I am glad I did not get the 4 cylinder). This is a great truck! I hope my next Toyota is just as reliable (whenever that happens).

Favorite Features

It's just a comfortable truck to drive. It's not too big, but I sit higher than the cars around me.

Suggested Improvements

Better gas mileage and suicide doors for the Xtra cab (like the Tundra of that vintage) would have been really nice.

UGH!
By J Williams

2004 Toyota Tacoma 2dr Regular Cab Rwd SB (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

I ended up with this garbage since I had to sell my toys, get a family vehicle for my wife and I got her scraps of a truck. I commute 72 mi each way during the week and I thought this would be decent on fuel but with lack of power I'm constantly using the O/D feature just to keep up with the diesel trucks on the freeway! I've been very good to this truck and has failed miserably at keeping me even close to happy. Best vehicle to consider if; short commutes, small hauling, and your a midget 4' or less.

Favorite Features

The stuff I ADDED to it!

Suggested Improvements

Don't throw left over parts and make a Tacoma casserole so you can make more money. I still love Tacoma but this has put a bad taste in my mouth. You'd make more scrapping the metal.

Worst truck ever owned
By Al

2004 Toyota Tacoma 2dr Regular Cab 4WD SB (2.7L 4cyl 4A)

Having owned a Dodge Ram, and a Dodge Ram Wagon, which I thought were terrible, this Toyota beat them both out. The Dodges were comfortable to drive, but not too reliable. The Toyota is incredibly uncomfortable on even just a short drive. The Toyota has left me stranded 6 times in 2 years. I have owned VWs before and they were 10 times more reliable than this Toyota. No more Toyota garbage for me!

Favorite Features

It has a bed cover, which is aftermarket. That is about it.

Suggested Improvements

The best improvement for me would be to not buy this make anymore.

Owner/operator
By l1nda

2004 Toyota Tacoma 2dr Xtracab 4WD SB (2.7L 4cyl 4A)

Replaced 5 sets of front brake rotors, replaced ball joints within 2 years of ownership, within 2 years of purchase had to start replacing exhaust system 3 times, replace rear shocks after 3 years of purchase date, brought Tacoma to dealer with frame rust in 2008 nothing was done, another recall came up in 2010 now the frame is completely rotted out and getting the run around from the Toyota company. Want to put new frame underneath vehicle with all rusted hardware this means taking the entire vehicle apart who knows how it will run after that. Want Toyota to buy back vehicle but they refuse to will fight to the end. I am done with toyotas. Drove this vehicle with rot on frame for two years

Favorite Features

the interior wore well

Suggested Improvements

Toyota needs to listen to their consumers stand behind their vehicles and

This will be my last Toyota
By Dissapointed

2004 Toyota Tacoma 2dr Regular Cab Rwd SB (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

Actually this was my first Toyota ever. It will also be my last. This thing is as unreliable as can be. It leaves you stranded randomly and then it runs great for a few days again. The problems started shortly after the 60,000 mile mark, and to no surprise the drivetrain warranty expired at 60,000 miles. This is my last Asian vehicle ever (Had a Honda Accord years ago and it was a money pit).

Favorite Features

It is a truck. But then again, my old VW Rabbit Truck reached 380,000 miles with no problems, and could haul the same as this Tacoma.