Used 2004 Toyota Tacoma Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2004 Toyota Tacoma - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Tacoma model:

I can't believe how bad the gas mileage is on this truck.
By nycbugkiller

2004 Toyota Tacoma 2dr Xtracab 4WD SB (2.7L 4cyl 4A)

I bought this truck with 78,000 miles used in 2008. I have to say it is very reliable and it starts every time I try and fire it up. Of course it bounces all over the road like a typical small size truck does on bumpy roads. I just bought new Monroe shocks and struts that have to be installed. I'll see if that changes the ride. Regardless, when I first got it I was getting 16mpg. Don't ask what happened but I am at 142,000 miles and for some strange reason, I am now getting like 13. I have changed the spark plus, got a new air filter, new tires, I keep the air in the tires at the right poundage and I still can't understand it. And it's a 4 cylinder.

I like the xtra cab area for a trunk and the truck is fun for off road. The 4wd is great in the snow and the truck itself is very reliable. I also like all the interior features. I feel like I am in a car driving it.

Somehow make this truck better on gas. It is so poor that I may have to sell it. The ride could be a little smoother. Besides that, this is a very good truck and very reliable. I wish it was a 6.

Love This Truck!
By J Love

2004 Toyota Tacoma 2dr Xtracab V6 4WD SB (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

I bought my truck in late 2003, and it just turned 100,000 mile last week. It has not needed anything other than normal maintenance (brakes need to be replaced, tires too). The worst thing is that the accelerator squeaks. I travel about 30 miles to and from work daily and it gives me a comfortable ride. The V6 helps passing the big trucks (I am glad I did not get the 4 cylinder). This is a great truck! I hope my next Toyota is just as reliable (whenever that happens).

It's just a comfortable truck to drive. It's not too big, but I sit higher than the cars around me.

Better gas mileage and suicide doors for the Xtra cab (like the Tundra of that vintage) would have been really nice.

UGH!
By J Williams

2004 Toyota Tacoma 2dr Regular Cab Rwd SB (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

I ended up with this garbage since I had to sell my toys, get a family vehicle for my wife and I got her scraps of a truck. I commute 72 mi each way during the week and I thought this would be decent on fuel but with lack of power I'm constantly using the O/D feature just to keep up with the diesel trucks on the freeway! I've been very good to this truck and has failed miserably at keeping me even close to happy. Best vehicle to consider if; short commutes, small hauling, and your a midget 4' or less.

The stuff I ADDED to it!

Don't throw left over parts and make a Tacoma casserole so you can make more money. I still love Tacoma but this has put a bad taste in my mouth. You'd make more scrapping the metal.

Worst truck ever owned
By Al

2004 Toyota Tacoma 2dr Regular Cab 4WD SB (2.7L 4cyl 4A)

Having owned a Dodge Ram, and a Dodge Ram Wagon, which I thought were terrible, this Toyota beat them both out. The Dodges were comfortable to drive, but not too reliable. The Toyota is incredibly uncomfortable on even just a short drive. The Toyota has left me stranded 6 times in 2 years. I have owned VWs before and they were 10 times more reliable than this Toyota. No more Toyota garbage for me!

It has a bed cover, which is aftermarket. That is about it.

The best improvement for me would be to not buy this make anymore.

Owner/operator
By l1nda

2004 Toyota Tacoma 2dr Xtracab 4WD SB (2.7L 4cyl 4A)

Replaced 5 sets of front brake rotors, replaced ball joints within 2 years of ownership, within 2 years of purchase had to start replacing exhaust system 3 times, replace rear shocks after 3 years of purchase date, brought Tacoma to dealer with frame rust in 2008 nothing was done, another recall came up in 2010 now the frame is completely rotted out and getting the run around from the Toyota company. Want to put new frame underneath vehicle with all rusted hardware this means taking the entire vehicle apart who knows how it will run after that. Want Toyota to buy back vehicle but they refuse to will fight to the end. I am done with toyotas. Drove this vehicle with rot on frame for two years

the interior wore well

Toyota needs to listen to their consumers stand behind their vehicles and

• SUV