2004 Toyota Tacoma Xtracab - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Tacoma model:
What a Mistake!!!
By Cravix02 on 05/25/09 19:04 PM (PDT)

2004 Toyota Tacoma Xtracab 2dr Xtracab Rwd SB (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

I have a very annoying clunking sound when stopping and when taking off; seems like the transmission was slipping, and or the drive shaft was very loose. Took it to the dealership in Greenville, and Greer, and they said it is normal, that they drive like that... What a piece of junk. I bought it believing it was going to be like my old 87, but it is not even close. It also has a whistling sound in the cabin, even when at idle, Toyota also said it is normal, it vibrates, and nobody seems to find the problem, I have new tires and rims, balanced and aligned 4 times, at different places, and Toyota says it is not too much of a vibration!

2nd Toyota Pickup
By RuRod on 04/15/06 07:34 AM (PDT)

2004 Toyota Tacoma Xtracab 2dr Xtracab Rwd SB (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

I sold my first Toy pickup after driving it for 22 years! The 2004 truck is very nice too. Rides good, handles well, nice fuel economy, and no mechanical problems yet after two years and about 26000 miles. Manual tranny is a bit "whiny" in 1-3 gears. Other than chugging up steep hills with the small four, I'm pretty happy. About 23 mpg in town, 28 on the freeway.

Great truck!
By Rob on 09/06/05 14:41 PM (PDT)

2004 Toyota Tacoma Xtracab 2dr Xtracab Rwd SB (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

I was looking for a pickup that handled like a car and comparable gas milage, the Tacoma fits the bill. Pleasantly surprised to find a/c, stereo and cruise all on this trim level (SR5). Rear-end skip takes some getting used to, but otherwise handles well. Highway milage greatly improves with tailgate down (or off).

BAD ASS!!!!!
By michaelMAIL on 09/22/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

I LOVE THIS TRUCK

My review of the best truck ever!
By SRakaSSS on 08/23/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2004 Toyota Tacoma Xtracab 2dr Xtracab Rwd SB (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

This truck has been my favorite of all time. I have always had a Toyota truck and always will. This truck and my previous truck have never let me down. Everything about it is great. The reliabilty of these motors will outlast any motor on the market today. 5 thumbs up.

OK it's a Toy
By deadfred on 07/20/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2004 Toyota Tacoma Xtracab 2dr Xtracab Rwd SB (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

It was and still is and will always be one of the best if not the best truck made

2004 Tocoma Extracab
By CHAS on 06/18/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2004 Toyota Tacoma Xtracab 2dr Xtracab Rwd SB (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

Very, very poor gas milege for a 4 cylinder engine. Cannot make 20 miles to the gallon. Rides a little rough for a 4 X 2 vehicle.

Wonderfull
By Leonard Hope Jr. on 06/12/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2004 Toyota Tacoma Xtracab 2dr Xtracab Rwd SB (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

Toyota has finally made the perfect all around vehicle. The ride is great and the style supurb. While pricing is competitive.

My first "perfect" car/truck!
By dJ5 on 03/11/04 00:00 AM (PST)

2004 Toyota Tacoma Xtracab 2dr Xtracab Rwd SB (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

I'm a reasonable guy and expected a few imperfections on my new truck, but found none--even inside the engine compartment! The build-quality is amazing. I saw new Ford trucks which already had rust-spots on the housings of various engine components. The 2.4L motor is good match for this vehicle, enough pep with good fuel mileage. If I want to go fast, I'll ride my motorcycle. I think the 2.4L 2WD 5-spd manual trans., Extracab is the best value/dollar on the market--if you get it near invoice. I paid $16,500 out- the-door, including a $750 rebate. Mine has the SR5 "chrome package". I love my new truck! :-)

2004 Tacoma Xtracab 4cyl 5-spd
By DaveJ on 11/06/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2004 Toyota Tacoma Xtracab 2dr Xtracab Rwd SB (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

Superb build quality. Everything fits, everything works. Quality materials used throughout. No squeaks or rattles. Interior design marred by absurd placement of clock. Interior cubby-hole space is minimal. Adequate power, excellent transmission, easy to use clutch, strong brakes. Fuel economy is very good for a truck, but noticeably worse than cars with similar size engines. Six-speaker audio system better than expected. Easy to drive, with a fairly car-like ride. Insurance less than the Honda Accord we traded in. Buying experience at this dealership was actually quite pleasant; neither a battle of wits nor an endurance test.