2004 Toyota Tacoma Xtracab - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Tacoma model:
278,000 miles and counting
By gene_neill on 10/20/12 12:21 PM (PDT)

2004 Toyota Tacoma Xtracab 2dr Xtracab PreRunner V6 Rwd SB (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

I bought my Prerunner new in 2004. My previous truck was an F-250, so it was tough to give up the size, and the big V8 engine - in fact I still miss those things. But this truck just keeps on and keeps on and KEEPS ON, so I just can't complain anymore. In all these miles, I have done pretty much NOTHING except change the oil, and whatnot. The only thing that has ever broken was the power steering pump, somewhere around 150K miles. I plan to continue driving this as my main (and only) work and personal vehicle at least until it hits 350,000. I see no reason to believe that will be a problem.

nice truck
By john on 04/07/10 22:39 PM (PDT)

2004 Toyota Tacoma Xtracab 2dr Xtracab PreRunner V6 Rwd SB (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

This is a TRD I bought and am very happy with it. Getting in and out of it is a problem sometimes. The step bars are nice, but then you bang your head on the door frame. The clock placement is demented. I have never been able to see it without looking around the steering wheel. I miss full set of instruments on the dash in front of me, and a locking gas filler. All said, still enjoy owning and driving it.

Love This Truck!
By Sybaris on 12/30/09 06:10 AM (PST)

2004 Toyota Tacoma Xtracab 2dr Xtracab PreRunner V6 Rwd SB (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

Found an '04 V6 PreRunner with SR5 and TRD package with only 24k miles on it. Still smelled new! I had an S10 and the difference is amazing. The smooth ride, power, fuel economy, and options on this truck make S10's and Rangers look and feel antiquated.

Solid truck
By dave on 08/03/09 20:18 PM (PDT)

2004 Toyota Tacoma Xtracab 2dr Xtracab PreRunner V6 Rwd SB (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

It's a good, solid compact truck. The clock is poorly located, the truck "thumps" when stopping and starting and feels like it's almost airborne on the freeway. With the TRD package, the ride is harsh. Beyond that whining, the truck handles well, has good headroom, and all the power I need (I did improve its breathing by adding an additional port on the filter box to allow more air in. It's been reliable, with no problems other than what I noted above, except the dash rattles against the windshield, which was fixed by installing weather stripping to muffle this sound. My only regret was not getting a 4x4 since it's of little use in snow (the rear locker doesn't really help).

Love my Truck
By skippette on 07/02/09 10:02 AM (PDT)

2004 Toyota Tacoma Xtracab 2dr Xtracab PreRunner V6 Rwd SB (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

I love my Tacoma. I used to drive a full size Dodge Ram and wanted something smaller and something that would fit in my garage. I got the Xtra cab which is great for transporting things in bad weather if you don't have a cover over the bed. I haven't had any mechanical problems with it at all. It had 1 recall which was promptly handled at the dealer. I found out by accident how to get more power out of it when merging in traffic or passing. Just turn off the overdrive and the truck rockets past traffic. Just don't forget to re-engage the overdrive once you sail past the other cars. I would definitely recommend this truck!

2004 Toyota Tacoma V6 Ext. Cab PreRunner
By D Sistrunk on 05/03/07 04:58 AM (PDT)

2004 Toyota Tacoma Xtracab 2dr Xtracab PreRunner V6 Rwd SB (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

I purchased this truck about a month ago, and am so impressed by it. It does everything I need to do, and more. If you are looking for a small truck, that sits like a 4x4, gets good gas mileage, and looks great, this is the one for you.

Gets the Job Done
By Day Tripper on 04/01/07 20:03 PM (PDT)

2004 Toyota Tacoma Xtracab 2dr Xtracab PreRunner V6 Rwd SB (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

This is a great truck with a lot of get up and go. The Tacoma is well-built and Toyota's trademark mechanical craftsmanship has not disappointed. However, there are two areas that have been below par. The comfort is not the greatest. This isn't the vehicle one wants to travel in for long distances! The other detractor is the emergency brake. I can't even tell the brake is engaged. A couple of times I have forgotten to let it out, I have still been able to roll backward and drive forward without realizing the brake was on. In addition, the brake is ancient in its design - a pull out stick under the ignition. That may have something to do with its effectiveness.

nice truck
By bjw04toyota on 02/05/05 05:22 AM (PST)

2004 Toyota Tacoma Xtracab 2dr Xtracab PreRunner V6 Rwd SB (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

Well this is my first Toyota. I was a Ford man but I wanted a truck that was dependable and had a good rep for making them. I put a lot of money down so I wanted to make my money good for something, and I did a lot of research and found that the Toyota Tacoma was at the top of the list of all major points, resale value, durabilty and quality.

WALLER'S TACOMA
By WALLER04 on 01/25/05 04:29 AM (PST)

2004 Toyota Tacoma Xtracab 2dr Xtracab PreRunner V6 Rwd SB (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

I was considering a wide range of vehicles, was looking and researching and decided to go with the Tacoma because of the high ratings from consumers and editors. I am very pleased with my Tacoma almost 9000 miles on since July of 2004 and like it, v6 has plenty of power, handles well on and off road, and good service at the dealer when going there for oil changes, I am so glad I bought a Tacoma than a ford ranger, to me the quality of this truck is better.

Best Toyota yet
By geronia on 12/23/04 19:10 PM (PST)

It drives as good as my 2000 Tundra