Used 2004 Toyota Tacoma Xtracab Consumer Reviews - 99 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2004 Toyota Tacoma Xtracab - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Tacoma model:

Luv my Toyota
By Dan Ross

2004 Toyota Tacoma Xtracab 2dr Xtracab PreRunner V6 Rwd SB (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

Purchased truck at All Star Toyota - BTR. The truck developed an intermittent miss in the engine and the truck was still under warranty. The treatment I received from the service department was poor at best. They treated me like I was an idiot. The other Toyota dealer treated me fine.

Toyota piece of mind
By Roland

2004 Toyota Tacoma Xtracab 2dr Xtracab PreRunner Rwd SB (2.7L 4cyl 4A)

If you are big the back seat is okay but you will want more room.

278,000 miles and counting
By gene_neill

2004 Toyota Tacoma Xtracab 2dr Xtracab PreRunner V6 Rwd SB (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

I bought my Prerunner new in 2004. My previous truck was an F-250, so it was tough to give up the size, and the big V8 engine - in fact I still miss those things. But this truck just keeps on and keeps on and KEEPS ON, so I just can't complain anymore. In all these miles, I have done pretty much NOTHING except change the oil, and whatnot. The only thing that has ever broken was the power steering pump, somewhere around 150K miles. I plan to continue driving this as my main (and only) work and personal vehicle at least until it hits 350,000. I see no reason to believe that will be a problem.

It looks sharp and never breaks down.

The clock is hidden behind the steering wheel. You have to crane your neck over to the right in order to see what time it is. I could wish for better mileage than the 18mpg highway that it gets.

Best truck...EVER!Bou
By sierratoy

2004 Toyota Tacoma Xtracab 2dr Xtracab V6 4WD SB (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

I bought my 2004 4X4 TRD December 03. 2004 was last year of the compact size. Didn't want the larger midsize 05 model. Extremely durable and reliable. Off road capabilities are superb. It also cruises very well on the highway. Excellent in snow...deep snow. Only regular scheduled maintenance required.These trucks are the best EVER.

Off road capability, cruise at highway speed, reliability, durability.

5 speed auto tranny.

I can't believe how bad the gas mileage is on this truck.
By nycbugkiller

2004 Toyota Tacoma Xtracab 2dr Xtracab 4WD SB (2.7L 4cyl 4A)

I bought this truck with 78,000 miles used in 2008. I have to say it is very reliable and it starts every time I try and fire it up. Of course it bounces all over the road like a typical small size truck does on bumpy roads. I just bought new Monroe shocks and struts that have to be installed. I'll see if that changes the ride. Regardless, when I first got it I was getting 16mpg. Don't ask what happened but I am at 142,000 miles and for some strange reason, I am now getting like 13. I have changed the spark plus, got a new air filter, new tires, I keep the air in the tires at the right poundage and I still can't understand it. And it's a 4 cylinder.

I like the xtra cab area for a trunk and the truck is fun for off road. The 4wd is great in the snow and the truck itself is very reliable. I also like all the interior features. I feel like I am in a car driving it.

Somehow make this truck better on gas. It is so poor that I may have to sell it. The ride could be a little smoother. Besides that, this is a very good truck and very reliable. I wish it was a 6.