Used 2004 Toyota Tacoma Base Regular Cab Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2004 Toyota Tacoma Regular Cab - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Tacoma model:

10 year review
By whitetacoma04

2004 Toyota Tacoma Regular Cab 2dr Regular Cab Rwd SB (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

Got my Taco in 2005 w/ 12k miles while visiting O.C CA. I consider it my first-born child. It has 50,200 on it now, and a set of spark plugs are the only thing I`ve put into it besides oil/lube changes. Timing belt this year due to age only. Has plenty of power for what you put in bed, small trailer. 26 mpg is about the best I can get on highway due to lack of cruz and the fact it drives out good around 75mph. My neighbor drives a 1996 base model @ work that has 550k last I saw. It`s on clutch #3, the u-joints in the steering & driveshaft are the other replaced items. Oil still needs no checking between 5k changes. If you maintain your Yota you can count on them for a good, long time. Word

Crisp steering, good sheet metal curves, brakes, all good quality.

Painted ventshades, re-useable air filter, flowmaster muff, tonneau cover, tint strip on top of windshield. See my slightly modified 2004 Tacoma base model at www.trucktrend.com/readersrides

Tremendous Vehicle
By dennis_rhodes

2004 Toyota Tacoma Regular Cab 2dr Regular Cab Rwd SB (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

My dad bought me a brand new 2004 Toyota Tacoma regular cab extended cab when i graduated high school, that was now 9 years ago and this thing is still running, i have 335078 miles on it and it still feels like it did the day i came home and saw it in the drive way. i have only had to change the oil and rotate the tires, i have had no mechanical or any other problems for that matter. I LOVE THIS TRUCK

Pot hole eater
By Jeff

2004 Toyota Tacoma Regular Cab 2dr Regular Cab Rwd SB (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

Purchased 04 standard cab new, basic nuts and bolts truck. I did put a cab cover on. The thing that stands out most on this truck is its durability. I live in a city that has lots of bad roads, and while Honda CVCC's are tiptoeing around pot holes I plow right through them, and love to look in my rear views at expressions of awe. I did have to replace the front brakes at 45K, but other than that it's very reliable and a blast to drive.

Reliability, inexpensive to maintain, fun to drive.

Better seating, I would say better power but its a 4cyl and was upgraded to 160hp in the 05 model year anyway.

Should have never traded it.
By Jabberwocky

2004 Toyota Tacoma Regular Cab 2dr Regular Cab Rwd SB (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

This was a great first truck. These things can really take some punishment and are a blast to drive. Mileage was OK, at about 23 mpg. It did a lot better than expected in the winter. Always started and ran great. Never got stuck on me in the snow despite being RWD (200 lbs of bedrock fixed that). Really good ground clearance for a truck this size. Great handling and brakes. Responsive 4 cylinder with respectable torque. Easy to maintain. I really regret trading it in for a Camry 3 years later. The cons... well... hardly any. The interior is a little cramped but that's about it. I was dumb for trading it in.

Fun to drive around. Very durable. You can hit bumps, turns, and brakes so hard in this thing compared to other small trucks. It's hard to believe this is one of the cheapest pickup trucks on the market. You'll fall in love with it quick. People call them Tacos for short (mmm, I like tacos).

Make extended cab standard. Make locking rear differential or limited slip available on all models. Just about every truck tire on the market is better than the set of Goodyear Wranglers that come on a Tacoma.

Perfect size for me
By Ron Shaw

2004 Toyota Tacoma Regular Cab 2dr Regular Cab Rwd SB (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this truck used in 06. I wanted this smaller size, not the larger size the Tacoma has become. Mine is a fairly basic truck, standard cab with air and stereo. Nothing else. It has turned out to be just what I expected. A simple truck that is very capable, with the Toyota reliability I have come to expect. I have loaded it down with 1500 pounds of bamboo flooring, and the 4 cyl 5 spd manual was not taxed at all. This truck gives you the feeling that it will do whatever you ask it to do.

Good basic utility vehicle.

Better seats. My lower back starts to complain a bit after about half an hour. Not severe, but could be improved.