2004 Toyota Tacoma Regular Cab - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Tacoma model:
10 year review
By whitetacoma04 on 04/29/14 18:03 PM (PDT)

2004 Toyota Tacoma Regular Cab 2dr Regular Cab Rwd SB (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

Got my Taco in 2005 w/ 12k miles while visiting O.C CA. I consider it my first-born child. It has 50,200 on it now, and a set of spark plugs are the only thing I`ve put into it besides oil/lube changes. Timing belt this year due to age only. Has plenty of power for what you put in bed, small trailer. 26 mpg is about the best I can get on highway due to lack of cruz and the fact it drives out good around 75mph. My neighbor drives a 1996 base model @ work that has 550k last I saw. It`s on clutch #3, the u-joints in the steering & driveshaft are the other replaced items. Oil still needs no checking between 5k changes. If you maintain your Yota you can count on them for a good, long time. Word

Tremendous Vehicle
By dennis_rhodes on 05/18/13 10:24 AM (PDT)

2004 Toyota Tacoma Regular Cab 2dr Regular Cab Rwd SB (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

My dad bought me a brand new 2004 Toyota Tacoma regular cab extended cab when i graduated high school, that was now 9 years ago and this thing is still running, i have 335078 miles on it and it still feels like it did the day i came home and saw it in the drive way. i have only had to change the oil and rotate the tires, i have had no mechanical or any other problems for that matter. I LOVE THIS TRUCK

UGH!
By J Williams on 08/27/10 22:11 PM (PDT)

2004 Toyota Tacoma Regular Cab 2dr Regular Cab Rwd SB (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

I ended up with this garbage since I had to sell my toys, get a family vehicle for my wife and I got her scraps of a truck. I commute 72 mi each way during the week and I thought this would be decent on fuel but with lack of power I'm constantly using the O/D feature just to keep up with the diesel trucks on the freeway! I've been very good to this truck and has failed miserably at keeping me even close to happy. Best vehicle to consider if; short commutes, small hauling, and your a midget 4' or less.

Worst truck ever owned
By Al on 08/14/10 09:05 AM (PDT)

2004 Toyota Tacoma Regular Cab 2dr Regular Cab 4WD SB (2.7L 4cyl 4A)

Having owned a Dodge Ram, and a Dodge Ram Wagon, which I thought were terrible, this Toyota beat them both out. The Dodges were comfortable to drive, but not too reliable. The Toyota is incredibly uncomfortable on even just a short drive. The Toyota has left me stranded 6 times in 2 years. I have owned VWs before and they were 10 times more reliable than this Toyota. No more Toyota garbage for me!

This will be my last Toyota
By Dissapointed on 06/11/10 08:16 AM (PDT)

2004 Toyota Tacoma Regular Cab 2dr Regular Cab Rwd SB (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

Actually this was my first Toyota ever. It will also be my last. This thing is as unreliable as can be. It leaves you stranded randomly and then it runs great for a few days again. The problems started shortly after the 60,000 mile mark, and to no surprise the drivetrain warranty expired at 60,000 miles. This is my last Asian vehicle ever (Had a Honda Accord years ago and it was a money pit).

Pot hole eater
By Jeff on 04/06/09 09:27 AM (PDT)

2004 Toyota Tacoma Regular Cab 2dr Regular Cab Rwd SB (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

Purchased 04 standard cab new, basic nuts and bolts truck. I did put a cab cover on. The thing that stands out most on this truck is its durability. I live in a city that has lots of bad roads, and while Honda CVCC's are tiptoeing around pot holes I plow right through them, and love to look in my rear views at expressions of awe. I did have to replace the front brakes at 45K, but other than that it's very reliable and a blast to drive.

Should have never traded it.
By Jabberwocky on 09/07/08 12:09 PM (PDT)

2004 Toyota Tacoma Regular Cab 2dr Regular Cab Rwd SB (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

This was a great first truck. These things can really take some punishment and are a blast to drive. Mileage was OK, at about 23 mpg. It did a lot better than expected in the winter. Always started and ran great. Never got stuck on me in the snow despite being RWD (200 lbs of bedrock fixed that). Really good ground clearance for a truck this size. Great handling and brakes. Responsive 4 cylinder with respectable torque. Easy to maintain. I really regret trading it in for a Camry 3 years later. The cons... well... hardly any. The interior is a little cramped but that's about it. I was dumb for trading it in.

Perfect size for me
By Ron Shaw on 10/02/07 14:27 PM (PDT)

2004 Toyota Tacoma Regular Cab 2dr Regular Cab Rwd SB (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this truck used in 06. I wanted this smaller size, not the larger size the Tacoma has become. Mine is a fairly basic truck, standard cab with air and stereo. Nothing else. It has turned out to be just what I expected. A simple truck that is very capable, with the Toyota reliability I have come to expect. I have loaded it down with 1500 pounds of bamboo flooring, and the 4 cyl 5 spd manual was not taxed at all. This truck gives you the feeling that it will do whatever you ask it to do.

Everything I needed...
By TacoTruck on 11/06/05 20:59 PM (PST)

2004 Toyota Tacoma Regular Cab 2dr Regular Cab Rwd SB (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

I have a base 2wd Taco with Clock and enhancement pk. as the only options. This truck was exactly what I was expecting - no frills transportation with hauling capability, my 88 Civic with a picup bed basically. I get around 30 mpg on the highway, can haul mulch and mountain bikes, evan occasionally pulling a trailer for short distances. Resale value seems extrmemly high. Reliability wasn't what I was expecting from a Toyota, however as it was in the shop 5 times for coil packs and alignment. Also, the Wrangler HP tires are DANGEROUS in the wet - can't wait to replace. I added an OEM bedliner and CD/cassette purchased from online auctions, which really increased the value of the vehicle to me

Great truck
By Michael on 12/04/04 17:23 PM (PST)

2004 Toyota Tacoma Regular Cab 2dr Regular Cab Rwd SB (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

I got the base model no power anything reg cab. Only thing I have is A/C and rear bumper and tinted windows. Love this truck the only thing is It should have come with a clock as standard equipment. There is also no clock in the radio. Speaking of radio a CD would have been better then a cassette. Looking at the way the truck is made it looks old school very easy to work on if needed. Also a locking gas cover is needed.