Used 2004 Toyota Tacoma PreRunner V6 Double Cab Consumer Reviews - 42 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2004 Toyota Tacoma Double Cab - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Tacoma model:

An excellent vehicle!
By Corey Dulan

2004 Toyota Tacoma Double Cab 4dr Double Cab PreRunner V6 Rwd SB (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

Ive had mine for ten years. I bought it in '06 with 27k miles. Loved it the moment I drove it, its a great all around vehicle. Ive NEVER broke down. Only thing that has gone out on its own was the A/C compressor at 148k miles, it has 202k as of 2/6/16. Gas mileage is ok but this truck is solid and well worth the investment. I wont drive anything but a Toyota after having this incredibly reliable truck. Cant say enough good things about it except I wish I had another one or three.

Can't beat a Tacoma
By photoman

2004 Toyota Tacoma Double Cab 4dr Double Cab PreRunner V6 Rwd SB (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

This is my third Tacoma. Just do the regular maintenance and they'll run forever. Durable, reliable and fun to drive.

Very comfortable ride.

Kill the clock! It's useless in its present location.

Happy Camper
By Real McCoy

2004 Toyota Tacoma Double Cab 4dr Double Cab PreRunner V6 Rwd SB (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

Best vehicle I have ever owned, very sporty looking and scheduled oil changes is only maintenance that has been required. Very happy with this vehicle.

Looks like a 4 wheel drive and sets up high, without the 4 wheel drive gas mileage.

Clock can't be seen, behind steering wheel.

Very well built truck!
By martinjmpr

2004 Toyota Tacoma Double Cab 4dr Double Cab PreRunner V6 Rwd SB (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

Bought it used in Jan 07 when we were in the middle of our 9 blizzards this year! The truck has been awesome, seems to go almost anywhere. This is my 2nd Toyota, my first was an 85 4x4 truck I bought new in 85. Toyotas are popular around here and for good reason: They're tough, reliable and very well made. MPG has been better than the EPA estimate: I get 18.5 in the city and 22-23 on the the highway. V6 is not extremely powerful but it gets the job done. Manual tranny is fun to drive and gives decent economy as well.

Manually shifted transfer case (hard to find nowadays!). Good stereo with both CD and cassette (I still have a lot of tapes!). AC works fantastically well in hot weather. Overall quality is excellent. Hey, it's a Toyota! 'Nuff Said!

What is the deal with the clock? It's hidden behind the steering wheel! Back seats should be facing inward, you can't put anyone over the age of 8 in the back of the x-cab! The 2/3 - 1/3 front "bench" seats are a joke and make it difficult to put seatcovers on. Should stick with buckets.

Disappointed
By Taco

2004 Toyota Tacoma Double Cab 4dr Double Cab PreRunner V6 Rwd SB (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

The transmission has a shift problem. The dealer was able to somewhat correct the problem but it by far the worst shifting automatic transmission I have ever driven. It is very hard to park this truck. I am trading the truck in on a 2005 Toyota Tundra next week. I hope I have better luck.

I like the exterior look with the TRD package.

Move clock. Improve the seating.