Used 2004 Toyota Tacoma PreRunner V6 Double Cab Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2004 Toyota Tacoma - Consumer Reviews

2004 Toyota Tacoma Double Cab

View reviews for a specific Tacoma model:

Can't beat a Tacoma
By photoman

2004 Toyota Tacoma Double Cab 4dr Double Cab PreRunner V6 Rwd SB (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

This is my third Tacoma. Just do the regular maintenance and they'll run forever. Durable, reliable and fun to drive.

Favorite Features

Very comfortable ride.

Suggested Improvements

Kill the clock! It's useless in its present location.

Happy Camper
By Real McCoy

2004 Toyota Tacoma Double Cab 4dr Double Cab PreRunner V6 Rwd SB (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

Best vehicle I have ever owned, very sporty looking and scheduled oil changes is only maintenance that has been required. Very happy with this vehicle.

Favorite Features

Looks like a 4 wheel drive and sets up high, without the 4 wheel drive gas mileage.

Suggested Improvements

Clock can't be seen, behind steering wheel.

Very well built truck!
By martinjmpr

2004 Toyota Tacoma Double Cab 4dr Double Cab PreRunner V6 Rwd SB (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

Bought it used in Jan 07 when we were in the middle of our 9 blizzards this year! The truck has been awesome, seems to go almost anywhere. This is my 2nd Toyota, my first was an 85 4x4 truck I bought new in 85. Toyotas are popular around here and for good reason: They're tough, reliable and very well made. MPG has been better than the EPA estimate: I get 18.5 in the city and 22-23 on the the highway. V6 is not extremely powerful but it gets the job done. Manual tranny is fun to drive and gives decent economy as well.

Favorite Features

Manually shifted transfer case (hard to find nowadays!). Good stereo with both CD and cassette (I still have a lot of tapes!). AC works fantastically well in hot weather. Overall quality is excellent. Hey, it's a Toyota! 'Nuff Said!

Suggested Improvements

What is the deal with the clock? It's hidden behind the steering wheel! Back seats should be facing inward, you can't put anyone over the age of 8 in the back of the x-cab! The 2/3 - 1/3 front "bench" seats are a joke and make it difficult to put seatcovers on. Should stick with buckets.

Disappointed
By Taco

2004 Toyota Tacoma Double Cab 4dr Double Cab PreRunner V6 Rwd SB (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

The transmission has a shift problem. The dealer was able to somewhat correct the problem but it by far the worst shifting automatic transmission I have ever driven. It is very hard to park this truck. I am trading the truck in on a 2005 Toyota Tundra next week. I hope I have better luck.

Favorite Features

I like the exterior look with the TRD package.

Suggested Improvements

Move clock. Improve the seating.

Great Overall Truck!!
By Dan

2004 Toyota Tacoma Double Cab 4dr Double Cab PreRunner V6 Rwd SB (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

Have had this truck for nearly 2 years and just hit over 25K miles and it still runs perfectly. I've taken it all across Florida down to Key West 4 times from Gainesville. It can be a little uncomfortable after hours of driving, but it is a truck and not a luxury car. I get pretty good gas mileage 19-20 in the city and 22-23 on highway. It is perfect for someone who wants the versatility of a SUV and the drive of a car. I put the tonneau cover on and it makes it a giant waterproof, locked trunk with an increase in gas mileage. Once or twice the truck took a while to turn over when I started her up, but it hasn't been a problem. I wish the turning radius were better for a compact truck.

Favorite Features

Height, exterior look, and sound system.

Suggested Improvements

Move the clock, add a compass with temperature gage on the rearview mirror. Increase the turning radius; I have had to make a 3-point turn that normally would be an easy U turn.