2004 Toyota Tacoma Double Cab - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Tacoma model:
No trouble
By KREIN on 05/16/08 13:49 PM (PDT)

2004 Toyota Tacoma Double Cab 4dr Double Cab V6 4WD SB (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

I have had this truck for about 4 years. I changed the oil, brakes, tires, wiper blades and that's it. I never had to bring it in for any service. You will not see me at the dealer. Maybe for my next truck. I would drive the truck around the world today without worries. I hate to say it but, I would never buy anything other than toyota. The last one I had was going strong with over 250,000 miles. it was ugly but ran like a clock. The gas goes a little faster than they claim. You should also give the gas a chance to get to motor before you start cranking. sometimes if you jump right in and start cranking it may be a little ruff to start.

60000 Mile Review
By DanB on 01/05/08 06:36 AM (PST)

2004 Toyota Tacoma Double Cab 4dr Double Cab V6 4WD SB (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

I bought mine new in 2004. I have not had a single mechanical issue with the truck. An improperly tightened gas cap triggered a check engine light several months back, but it cleared itself. This truck has good low range power. I have had 1200 pounds of hardwood floors in the bed and have pulled a 21-foot Ranger boat with it. It pulls better than my previous full-size Bronco, but doesn't have the mid-range or top-end of other trucks. It works well within its rated capacities. I average 21 mpg, but this is because I don't drive hard. If I drove like most traffic, I'd get the advertised 18 mpg. The comfort of the seats was absolutely terrible and I have replaced the seats which helped.

Perfect vehicle - double cab 4x4 TRD.
By Brian on 02/07/07 08:21 AM (PST)

2004 Toyota Tacoma Double Cab 4dr Double Cab V6 4WD SB (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

I needed a vehicle that can haul 4 people, tow a boat, fit on off-road mountain trails, go in the mud, haul firewood, and still get decent mileage. A full-size won't go where I need it to and 12-15 mpg isn't that appealing. Enter the Tacoma double cab 4x4 with TRD. I took my first trip with it last weekend. We travel with 2 dogs, 2 coolers, and 4 large totes. Our destination is a hunting cabin in the woods which requires traversing a couple miles of tight, rough trails that a full-size can't do without scratches and scrapes. Quite simply, I don't know of any other vehicle that could possible meet my needs any better than the 2004 Double Cab 4x4 w/ TRD.

My Used '04 Taco D-Cab
By Rattles on 07/13/06 14:47 PM (PDT)

2004 Toyota Tacoma Double Cab 4dr Double Cab V6 4WD SB (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

I bought this truck used and it only had 10k on it. Its my 3rd Toyota truck; an 89 XtraCab with 163k and a 91 4Runner with 269k (both had 22REs and 5 speeds). This truck was near-perfect for me for what I was looking for. The only problem I have had is a squeaky rear leaf spring. Otherwise it lives up to its Toyota reputation. I love the DoubleCab after having a sedan.

My Hunting Truck
By PsychoJr on 06/16/06 05:59 AM (PDT)

2004 Toyota Tacoma Double Cab 4dr Double Cab V6 4WD SB (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

Love this vehicle! Bought as my hunting vehicle (my primary car is a Lexus LS) but use on the weekends as well. Heck, I end up driving it to work a lot too! Used to own a Tundra but like the smaller truck better. No complaints here. Reliability is excellent and off road use is great. Have taken it through lots of mud and water.

My Small Truck
By cromanxx on 05/02/06 17:51 PM (PDT)

2004 Toyota Tacoma Double Cab 4dr Double Cab V6 4WD SB (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

I use my truck for pleasure and work. I pull a 3 ton dump trailer with no problem. It handles well in snow but you must engage 4 wheel drive. I don't go off road, but the ride is fine considering its a truck. I've filled the bed with pavers & cement and the truck didn't flinch. It's a reliable and dependable vehicle. I only take it to the dealer for service. I put a cap on the bed and it looks great!

EXPENSIVE JUNK
By santafenm on 11/28/05 12:58 PM (PST)

2004 Toyota Tacoma Double Cab 4dr Double Cab V6 4WD SB (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

Cannot drive when snowing as transmission linkage freezes in Drive. Have to carry cement blocks in bed so I can block wheels when frozen. Have to wait til temp is above freezing to get into N or P to start. Took to dealer. They didnt fix it - just thawed it out and gave it back to me. Just got out of shop as a rock hit the underside of truck on a dirt road and punctured the gas tank ($700 to fix). I own a $30K 4WD pickup that cannot be driven on dirt roads or in the snow - AWFUL.

My First Truck
By Hacksaw on 10/14/05 01:31 AM (PDT)

2004 Toyota Tacoma Double Cab 4dr Double Cab V6 4WD SB (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

I never wanted a pickup truck, but my wife always has these projects, and we needed a way to transport our supplies. We decided on the 4-door so we could use it like a car when traveling with friends. I'm a dedicated Toyota owner, so the Tacoma was an easy choice. Off-road this little truck is a performer. The ride is a little stiff, but once you load up the bed it smoothes right out. I got the Rhino liner, now I just need a cover to improve the gas milage.

Never wanted a truck
By Mikey on 08/29/05 18:42 PM (PDT)

2004 Toyota Tacoma Double Cab 4dr Double Cab V6 4WD SB (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

I personally never wanted a truck. I took this vehicle for a test drive (my wife said it was a "cute" truck) in the parking lot of a closed down supermarket - 1.5 feet of snow with 4 foot drifts (TRD package). It walked through it with ease, so I bought it and added a spray in bed liner and cover. I've taken it off-road, on highway trips and towed many different trailers. It's done everything I've asked of it. With the TRD package, the ride is a little stiff until you throw 500lbs in the bed. After buying it, I'm not sure how we got along without it.

tacoma
By jim on 04/11/05 18:34 PM (PDT)

2004 Toyota Tacoma Double Cab 4dr Double Cab V6 4WD SB (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

Interior noise @ fuel economy would be the only negatives. Average 17 winter 19 summer. Was rated at 19 so I knew this going in.

1 2 3 4 5 next »