2004 Toyota Tacoma Double Cab - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Tacoma model:
Can't beat a Tacoma
By photoman on 12/23/09 18:51 PM (PST)

2004 Toyota Tacoma Double Cab 4dr Double Cab PreRunner V6 Rwd SB (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

This is my third Tacoma. Just do the regular maintenance and they'll run forever. Durable, reliable and fun to drive.

Happy Camper
By Real McCoy on 09/02/09 07:46 AM (PDT)

2004 Toyota Tacoma Double Cab 4dr Double Cab PreRunner V6 Rwd SB (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

Best vehicle I have ever owned, very sporty looking and scheduled oil changes is only maintenance that has been required. Very happy with this vehicle.

Very well built truck!
By martinjmpr on 07/06/07 08:15 AM (PDT)

2004 Toyota Tacoma Double Cab 4dr Double Cab PreRunner V6 Rwd SB (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

Bought it used in Jan 07 when we were in the middle of our 9 blizzards this year! The truck has been awesome, seems to go almost anywhere. This is my 2nd Toyota, my first was an 85 4x4 truck I bought new in 85. Toyotas are popular around here and for good reason: They're tough, reliable and very well made. MPG has been better than the EPA estimate: I get 18.5 in the city and 22-23 on the the highway. V6 is not extremely powerful but it gets the job done. Manual tranny is fun to drive and gives decent economy as well.

Disappointed
By Taco on 08/19/05 10:52 AM (PDT)

2004 Toyota Tacoma Double Cab 4dr Double Cab PreRunner V6 Rwd SB (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

The transmission has a shift problem. The dealer was able to somewhat correct the problem but it by far the worst shifting automatic transmission I have ever driven. It is very hard to park this truck. I am trading the truck in on a 2005 Toyota Tundra next week. I hope I have better luck.

Great Overall Truck!!
By Dan on 08/04/05 23:09 PM (PDT)

2004 Toyota Tacoma Double Cab 4dr Double Cab PreRunner V6 Rwd SB (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

Have had this truck for nearly 2 years and just hit over 25K miles and it still runs perfectly. I've taken it all across Florida down to Key West 4 times from Gainesville. It can be a little uncomfortable after hours of driving, but it is a truck and not a luxury car. I get pretty good gas mileage 19-20 in the city and 22-23 on highway. It is perfect for someone who wants the versatility of a SUV and the drive of a car. I put the tonneau cover on and it makes it a giant waterproof, locked trunk with an increase in gas mileage. Once or twice the truck took a while to turn over when I started her up, but it hasn't been a problem. I wish the turning radius were better for a compact truck.

Toyota trucks can't be beat
By Uncle Dan on 07/30/05 19:23 PM (PDT)

2004 Toyota Tacoma Double Cab 4dr Double Cab PreRunner V6 Rwd SB (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

I sold my beloved '88 Toyota extended cab truck to buy this one. That was the most reliable vehicle I've ever owned and I hope the Tacoma holds up as well. After 11,000 miles, no problems at all. This is a well designed and laid out small truck. I purchased it through Edmunds internet referral service and it was simple. I entered the options I wanted and the next day I got a call from North Hollywood Toyota. They had the exact vehicle I wanted in stock and quoted a price that was 10% under sticker. I may have saved more with a lot of calls, but it wasn't worth it. I told em I'd be out to pick it up and I was in and out of the dealer in less than an hour. Simple.

Worth Every Penney
By dbatten on 06/28/05 23:35 PM (PDT)

2004 Toyota Tacoma Double Cab 4dr Double Cab PreRunner V6 Rwd SB (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

Well, I've owned my Tacoma for almost a year now and it's time to review it. I had wanted one for about two years and when I found out they were changing the style for the '05 I went in and bought an '04. I'll let Toyota work the bugs out of the new design before I give it a try. Toyota is good, but not perfect and the '04 is basically the same truck they have been building for 9 years. They've had lots of time to get it right. So, what did I get for my money? I got a vehicle that I can take my wife and 3 kids in to get groceries or I can take a few buddies and enough gear to go camping for a week. It's smaller size and high ground clearance allow me to go places where others can't.

great truck
By patz on 02/17/05 19:19 PM (PST)

2004 Toyota Tacoma Double Cab 4dr Double Cab PreRunner V6 Rwd SB (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

I have only put 900 miles on in the first 5 months, put away for winter, love it so far, hopefully gas mileage gets better with more miles, 14.5 in the city,

Back to Tacoma
By Steve ATL on 12/09/04 10:35 AM (PST)

2004 Toyota Tacoma Double Cab 4dr Double Cab PreRunner V6 Rwd SB (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

Back to Toy truck after trying Ford & Saturn- not nearly same quality. Had '90 4x4 Toy P/U and loved it. 100 miles a day- great cruising highway and some offroad. Don't miss 4x4 much- this has height and view I like and handles great. Plenty of power and if this runs like my old truck- just change oil and go. Had 150,000 on my old one and gave it to my brother,

Meets my needs
By truck buyer on 11/03/04 00:00 AM (PST)

2004 Toyota Tacoma Double Cab 4dr Double Cab PreRunner V6 Rwd SB (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

Bought the vehicle after much comparing between Colorado/Tacoma. I am NOT a foreign car snob--I drive what works money wise and needs wise. If Chevy had been offering 0% when I was looking it would have been a toss- up. That being said: It is more comfortable on the road then I initially imagined. The Dif lock is great--got me unstuck in mud twice already. The ground clearance is nice. I get 19mpg in town and 21mpg on the hi-way in New Mexico. I have 5800 miles on it with no problems. It is tight and fun to drive, but watch the back end. Acceleration is fine, but I am a light footed driver.

1 2 3 4 5 next »