Used 2004 Toyota Tacoma PreRunner Double Cab Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2004 Toyota Tacoma - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Tacoma model:

good but not great
By esteband67

2004 Toyota Tacoma Double Cab 4dr Double Cab PreRunner Rwd SB (2.7L 4cyl 4A)

Purchased 04 Tacoma new. Love the outside looks. Power is good but not great. Dash and controls good. The clock is not visible but who cares. Everyone complains about the 4 cup holders. I love it! Put change in one, water in another, and Coke in another. Still one left for passenger. Only have 40,000 and the water pump went out. Good thing I got the extended warranty. I thought I would get at least 20 mpg on freeway but only have gotten 19. I get 16 in city which is horrible. For that matter, I would have gotten a Tundra. Would of got more power out of it and more room. I doubt I would get another toy. Nice truck, but expensive. Would look for something cheaper next time.

Favorite Features

outside looks

Suggested Improvements

better gas mileage!!

Tacoma Crew
By gnshpdude

2004 Toyota Tacoma Double Cab 4dr Double Cab PreRunner Rwd SB (2.7L 4cyl 4A)

2.7 L Is a little underpowered and only gets 1 MPG more then my friends V6 Tacoma. Seats get a little uncomfortable on long rides. Other then that a great reliable truck.

Favorite Features

Style.

Suggested Improvements

Improve seat comfort. Offer V-6 only.

Sets a Standard for quality
By AJAX

2004 Toyota Tacoma Double Cab 4dr Double Cab PreRunner Rwd SB (2.7L 4cyl 4A)

I bought this Prerunner double-cab in Feb. 2004. It has the V-6 engine. My mileage has steadly increased to 22 mpg. There should be more leg room in the back seat area. The quality is superior. After 31,000 miles everything works perfectly. This is my second Tacoma truck and I continue to be amazed at the reliability built into these trucks.

Favorite Features

Engine power and quiet acceleration.

Suggested Improvements

Clock placement and extended leg room in back seat area.

Toyota = QUALITY
By harmsfarms

2004 Toyota Tacoma Double Cab 4dr Double Cab PreRunner Rwd SB (2.7L 4cyl 4A)

After a ten year hiatus from owning a truck I decided on the Double-Cab Tacoma w/ the TRD package and 4 cylinder engine. I feel the transmission is a little notchy at times, but overall a fine machine. Toyota has refined this platform to near perfection and it will continue to extend this level of buyer satisfaction through the next several decades.

Favorite Features

4-doors as well as the sound system. Rear slider is a great feature, not found on the 4-door Nissan. The folding rear seats are great for the odd out sized stuff that you don't want to put in the bed.

Suggested Improvements

Move that blasted CLOCK and change the e-brake location! A manual transmission would have been a great option as well.

My truck
By jfreckle15

2004 Toyota Tacoma Double Cab 4dr Double Cab PreRunner Rwd SB (2.7L 4cyl 4A)

This is the first new vehicle I have ever owned and I will never buy anything but a Toyota again. I have gone on several long (8hrs) trips in my truck and it is extremely comfortable. It gets great gas milage and the cruise control is easy to use. The ample amount of cup holders comes in handy during these trips as well as the tilt steering.