Used 2004 Toyota Tacoma Double Cab Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2004 Toyota Tacoma - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Tacoma model:

Can't beat a Tacoma
By photoman

2004 Toyota Tacoma Double Cab 4dr Double Cab PreRunner V6 Rwd SB (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

This is my third Tacoma. Just do the regular maintenance and they'll run forever. Durable, reliable and fun to drive.

Favorite Features

Very comfortable ride.

Suggested Improvements

Kill the clock! It's useless in its present location.

Happy Camper
By Real McCoy

2004 Toyota Tacoma Double Cab 4dr Double Cab PreRunner V6 Rwd SB (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

Best vehicle I have ever owned, very sporty looking and scheduled oil changes is only maintenance that has been required. Very happy with this vehicle.

Favorite Features

Looks like a 4 wheel drive and sets up high, without the 4 wheel drive gas mileage.

Suggested Improvements

Clock can't be seen, behind steering wheel.

good but not great
By esteband67

2004 Toyota Tacoma Double Cab 4dr Double Cab PreRunner Rwd SB (2.7L 4cyl 4A)

Purchased 04 Tacoma new. Love the outside looks. Power is good but not great. Dash and controls good. The clock is not visible but who cares. Everyone complains about the 4 cup holders. I love it! Put change in one, water in another, and Coke in another. Still one left for passenger. Only have 40,000 and the water pump went out. Good thing I got the extended warranty. I thought I would get at least 20 mpg on freeway but only have gotten 19. I get 16 in city which is horrible. For that matter, I would have gotten a Tundra. Would of got more power out of it and more room. I doubt I would get another toy. Nice truck, but expensive. Would look for something cheaper next time.

Favorite Features

outside looks

Suggested Improvements

better gas mileage!!

No trouble
By KREIN

2004 Toyota Tacoma Double Cab 4dr Double Cab V6 4WD SB (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

I have had this truck for about 4 years. I changed the oil, brakes, tires, wiper blades and that's it. I never had to bring it in for any service. You will not see me at the dealer. Maybe for my next truck. I would drive the truck around the world today without worries. I hate to say it but, I would never buy anything other than toyota. The last one I had was going strong with over 250,000 miles. it was ugly but ran like a clock. The gas goes a little faster than they claim. You should also give the gas a chance to get to motor before you start cranking. sometimes if you jump right in and start cranking it may be a little ruff to start.

Favorite Features

on the fly 4 x 4, nice ride. reliable as hell.

Suggested Improvements

i would like this truck with the old r22 motor. not available with 4 cyl. bring back the R22. best engine ever made.

60000 Mile Review
By DanB

2004 Toyota Tacoma Double Cab 4dr Double Cab V6 4WD SB (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

I bought mine new in 2004. I have not had a single mechanical issue with the truck. An improperly tightened gas cap triggered a check engine light several months back, but it cleared itself. This truck has good low range power. I have had 1200 pounds of hardwood floors in the bed and have pulled a 21-foot Ranger boat with it. It pulls better than my previous full-size Bronco, but doesn't have the mid-range or top-end of other trucks. It works well within its rated capacities. I average 21 mpg, but this is because I don't drive hard. If I drove like most traffic, I'd get the advertised 18 mpg. The comfort of the seats was absolutely terrible and I have replaced the seats which helped.

Favorite Features

Good looks. Reliability. Off-road package and rear-diff locks. Off-road capability. The tire size compared to the body size give it a nice aggressive stance

Suggested Improvements

It's a moot point now since 04 was the last of the truly compact Toyotas and the Taco has been changed, but the seat comfort would be the biggest gripe.