2004 Toyota Tacoma Double Cab - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Tacoma model:
Can't beat a Tacoma
By photoman on 12/23/09 18:51 PM (PST)

2004 Toyota Tacoma Double Cab 4dr Double Cab PreRunner V6 Rwd SB (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

This is my third Tacoma. Just do the regular maintenance and they'll run forever. Durable, reliable and fun to drive.

Happy Camper
By Real McCoy on 09/02/09 07:46 AM (PDT)

2004 Toyota Tacoma Double Cab 4dr Double Cab PreRunner V6 Rwd SB (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

Best vehicle I have ever owned, very sporty looking and scheduled oil changes is only maintenance that has been required. Very happy with this vehicle.

good but not great
By esteband67 on 03/18/09 13:44 PM (PDT)

2004 Toyota Tacoma Double Cab 4dr Double Cab PreRunner Rwd SB (2.7L 4cyl 4A)

Purchased 04 Tacoma new. Love the outside looks. Power is good but not great. Dash and controls good. The clock is not visible but who cares. Everyone complains about the 4 cup holders. I love it! Put change in one, water in another, and Coke in another. Still one left for passenger. Only have 40,000 and the water pump went out. Good thing I got the extended warranty. I thought I would get at least 20 mpg on freeway but only have gotten 19. I get 16 in city which is horrible. For that matter, I would have gotten a Tundra. Would of got more power out of it and more room. I doubt I would get another toy. Nice truck, but expensive. Would look for something cheaper next time.

No trouble
By KREIN on 05/16/08 13:49 PM (PDT)

2004 Toyota Tacoma Double Cab 4dr Double Cab V6 4WD SB (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

I have had this truck for about 4 years. I changed the oil, brakes, tires, wiper blades and that's it. I never had to bring it in for any service. You will not see me at the dealer. Maybe for my next truck. I would drive the truck around the world today without worries. I hate to say it but, I would never buy anything other than toyota. The last one I had was going strong with over 250,000 miles. it was ugly but ran like a clock. The gas goes a little faster than they claim. You should also give the gas a chance to get to motor before you start cranking. sometimes if you jump right in and start cranking it may be a little ruff to start.

60000 Mile Review
By DanB on 01/05/08 06:36 AM (PST)

2004 Toyota Tacoma Double Cab 4dr Double Cab V6 4WD SB (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

I bought mine new in 2004. I have not had a single mechanical issue with the truck. An improperly tightened gas cap triggered a check engine light several months back, but it cleared itself. This truck has good low range power. I have had 1200 pounds of hardwood floors in the bed and have pulled a 21-foot Ranger boat with it. It pulls better than my previous full-size Bronco, but doesn't have the mid-range or top-end of other trucks. It works well within its rated capacities. I average 21 mpg, but this is because I don't drive hard. If I drove like most traffic, I'd get the advertised 18 mpg. The comfort of the seats was absolutely terrible and I have replaced the seats which helped.

Very well built truck!
By martinjmpr on 07/06/07 08:15 AM (PDT)

2004 Toyota Tacoma Double Cab 4dr Double Cab PreRunner V6 Rwd SB (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

Bought it used in Jan 07 when we were in the middle of our 9 blizzards this year! The truck has been awesome, seems to go almost anywhere. This is my 2nd Toyota, my first was an 85 4x4 truck I bought new in 85. Toyotas are popular around here and for good reason: They're tough, reliable and very well made. MPG has been better than the EPA estimate: I get 18.5 in the city and 22-23 on the the highway. V6 is not extremely powerful but it gets the job done. Manual tranny is fun to drive and gives decent economy as well.

Tacoma Crew
By gnshpdude on 05/16/07 13:37 PM (PDT)

2004 Toyota Tacoma Double Cab 4dr Double Cab PreRunner Rwd SB (2.7L 4cyl 4A)

2.7 L Is a little underpowered and only gets 1 MPG more then my friends V6 Tacoma. Seats get a little uncomfortable on long rides. Other then that a great reliable truck.

Perfect vehicle - double cab 4x4 TRD.
By Brian on 02/07/07 08:21 AM (PST)

2004 Toyota Tacoma Double Cab 4dr Double Cab V6 4WD SB (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

I needed a vehicle that can haul 4 people, tow a boat, fit on off-road mountain trails, go in the mud, haul firewood, and still get decent mileage. A full-size won't go where I need it to and 12-15 mpg isn't that appealing. Enter the Tacoma double cab 4x4 with TRD. I took my first trip with it last weekend. We travel with 2 dogs, 2 coolers, and 4 large totes. Our destination is a hunting cabin in the woods which requires traversing a couple miles of tight, rough trails that a full-size can't do without scratches and scrapes. Quite simply, I don't know of any other vehicle that could possible meet my needs any better than the 2004 Double Cab 4x4 w/ TRD.

My Used '04 Taco D-Cab
By Rattles on 07/13/06 14:47 PM (PDT)

2004 Toyota Tacoma Double Cab 4dr Double Cab V6 4WD SB (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

I bought this truck used and it only had 10k on it. Its my 3rd Toyota truck; an 89 XtraCab with 163k and a 91 4Runner with 269k (both had 22REs and 5 speeds). This truck was near-perfect for me for what I was looking for. The only problem I have had is a squeaky rear leaf spring. Otherwise it lives up to its Toyota reputation. I love the DoubleCab after having a sedan.

My Hunting Truck
By PsychoJr on 06/16/06 05:59 AM (PDT)

2004 Toyota Tacoma Double Cab 4dr Double Cab V6 4WD SB (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

Love this vehicle! Bought as my hunting vehicle (my primary car is a Lexus LS) but use on the weekends as well. Heck, I end up driving it to work a lot too! Used to own a Tundra but like the smaller truck better. No complaints here. Reliability is excellent and off road use is great. Have taken it through lots of mud and water.