Used 2004 Toyota Tacoma V6 Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2004 Toyota Tacoma - Consumer Reviews

2004 Toyota Tacoma

View reviews for a specific Tacoma model:

Perfect vehicle - double cab 4x4 TRD.
By Brian

2004 Toyota Tacoma 4dr Double Cab V6 4WD SB (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

I needed a vehicle that can haul 4 people, tow a boat, fit on off-road mountain trails, go in the mud, haul firewood, and still get decent mileage. A full-size won't go where I need it to and 12-15 mpg isn't that appealing. Enter the Tacoma double cab 4x4 with TRD. I took my first trip with it last weekend. We travel with 2 dogs, 2 coolers, and 4 large totes. Our destination is a hunting cabin in the woods which requires traversing a couple miles of tight, rough trails that a full-size can't do without scratches and scrapes. Quite simply, I don't know of any other vehicle that could possible meet my needs any better than the 2004 Double Cab 4x4 w/ TRD.

Favorite Features

Love the aggressive looks - will look better with newer more aggressive tires. TRD package is awesome - good ride, good ground clearance, and the locking rear is great to know it is there - I am sure I will need it someday. Power aplenty at all rpms. Great stereo.

Suggested Improvements

The front seats aren't the most comfortable seats in the world - they lack cushion in the seat. The ones on my 12 year old Nissan are much better. Plus, I didn't get quite as good of mileage as I was hoping. I got about 16.5 overall, not bad, but not near 20 I was hoping for.

No trouble
By KREIN

2004 Toyota Tacoma 4dr Double Cab V6 4WD SB (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

I have had this truck for about 4 years. I changed the oil, brakes, tires, wiper blades and that's it. I never had to bring it in for any service. You will not see me at the dealer. Maybe for my next truck. I would drive the truck around the world today without worries. I hate to say it but, I would never buy anything other than toyota. The last one I had was going strong with over 250,000 miles. it was ugly but ran like a clock. The gas goes a little faster than they claim. You should also give the gas a chance to get to motor before you start cranking. sometimes if you jump right in and start cranking it may be a little ruff to start.

Favorite Features

on the fly 4 x 4, nice ride. reliable as hell.

Suggested Improvements

i would like this truck with the old r22 motor. not available with 4 cyl. bring back the R22. best engine ever made.

60000 Mile Review
By DanB

2004 Toyota Tacoma 4dr Double Cab V6 4WD SB (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

I bought mine new in 2004. I have not had a single mechanical issue with the truck. An improperly tightened gas cap triggered a check engine light several months back, but it cleared itself. This truck has good low range power. I have had 1200 pounds of hardwood floors in the bed and have pulled a 21-foot Ranger boat with it. It pulls better than my previous full-size Bronco, but doesn't have the mid-range or top-end of other trucks. It works well within its rated capacities. I average 21 mpg, but this is because I don't drive hard. If I drove like most traffic, I'd get the advertised 18 mpg. The comfort of the seats was absolutely terrible and I have replaced the seats which helped.

Favorite Features

Good looks. Reliability. Off-road package and rear-diff locks. Off-road capability. The tire size compared to the body size give it a nice aggressive stance

Suggested Improvements

It's a moot point now since 04 was the last of the truly compact Toyotas and the Taco has been changed, but the seat comfort would be the biggest gripe.

My Hunting Truck
By PsychoJr

2004 Toyota Tacoma 4dr Double Cab V6 4WD SB (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

Love this vehicle! Bought as my hunting vehicle (my primary car is a Lexus LS) but use on the weekends as well. Heck, I end up driving it to work a lot too! Used to own a Tundra but like the smaller truck better. No complaints here. Reliability is excellent and off road use is great. Have taken it through lots of mud and water.

Favorite Features

Compact design, but plenty of interior room for me. Liked much better than the 2005 model which was out when I bought this one. Handles well and fun to drive. Can haul plenty of stuff with ease.

Suggested Improvements

Steering wheel blocks the clock.

My Used '04 Taco D-Cab
By Rattles

2004 Toyota Tacoma 4dr Double Cab V6 4WD SB (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

I bought this truck used and it only had 10k on it. Its my 3rd Toyota truck; an 89 XtraCab with 163k and a 91 4Runner with 269k (both had 22REs and 5 speeds). This truck was near-perfect for me for what I was looking for. The only problem I have had is a squeaky rear leaf spring. Otherwise it lives up to its Toyota reputation. I love the DoubleCab after having a sedan.

Favorite Features

TRD Offroad never lets me down! I am 6'5" and have plenty of room.