Used 2004 Toyota Tacoma PreRunner V6 Consumer Reviews - 23 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2004 Toyota Tacoma - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Tacoma model:

Luv my Toyota
By Dan Ross

2004 Toyota Tacoma 2dr Xtracab PreRunner V6 Rwd SB (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

Purchased truck at All Star Toyota - BTR. The truck developed an intermittent miss in the engine and the truck was still under warranty. The treatment I received from the service department was poor at best. They treated me like I was an idiot. The other Toyota dealer treated me fine.

278,000 miles and counting
By gene_neill

2004 Toyota Tacoma 2dr Xtracab PreRunner V6 Rwd SB (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

I bought my Prerunner new in 2004. My previous truck was an F-250, so it was tough to give up the size, and the big V8 engine - in fact I still miss those things. But this truck just keeps on and keeps on and KEEPS ON, so I just can't complain anymore. In all these miles, I have done pretty much NOTHING except change the oil, and whatnot. The only thing that has ever broken was the power steering pump, somewhere around 150K miles. I plan to continue driving this as my main (and only) work and personal vehicle at least until it hits 350,000. I see no reason to believe that will be a problem.

It looks sharp and never breaks down.

The clock is hidden behind the steering wheel. You have to crane your neck over to the right in order to see what time it is. I could wish for better mileage than the 18mpg highway that it gets.

nice truck
By john

2004 Toyota Tacoma 2dr Xtracab PreRunner V6 Rwd SB (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

This is a TRD I bought and am very happy with it. Getting in and out of it is a problem sometimes. The step bars are nice, but then you bang your head on the door frame. The clock placement is demented. I have never been able to see it without looking around the steering wheel. I miss full set of instruments on the dash in front of me, and a locking gas filler. All said, still enjoy owning and driving it.

tough as nails very reliable fun to drive

needs better and complete instrument package better seats

Love This Truck!
By Sybaris

2004 Toyota Tacoma 2dr Xtracab PreRunner V6 Rwd SB (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

Found an '04 V6 PreRunner with SR5 and TRD package with only 24k miles on it. Still smelled new! I had an S10 and the difference is amazing. The smooth ride, power, fuel economy, and options on this truck make S10's and Rangers look and feel antiquated.

Very smooth ride, V6, 16" tires, body styling, roomy extended cab.

As others have said, the clock is in the wrong place. The stereo could have been beefed up a bit.

Solid truck
By dave

2004 Toyota Tacoma 2dr Xtracab PreRunner V6 Rwd SB (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

It's a good, solid compact truck. The clock is poorly located, the truck "thumps" when stopping and starting and feels like it's almost airborne on the freeway. With the TRD package, the ride is harsh. Beyond that whining, the truck handles well, has good headroom, and all the power I need (I did improve its breathing by adding an additional port on the filter box to allow more air in. It's been reliable, with no problems other than what I noted above, except the dash rattles against the windshield, which was fixed by installing weather stripping to muffle this sound. My only regret was not getting a 4x4 since it's of little use in snow (the rear locker doesn't really help).

Electronic Control Transmission button that increases the shift points; readily accessible overdrive, good stereo, easy to handle and park.

Move the dash clock, work to eliminate the rattles and bumps, have rear access doors for the extended cab.