2004 Toyota Tacoma - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Tacoma model:
I can't believe how bad the gas mileage is on this truck.
By nycbugkiller on 12/09/10 08:54 AM (PST)

2004 Toyota Tacoma 2dr Xtracab 4WD SB (2.7L 4cyl 4A)

I bought this truck with 78,000 miles used in 2008. I have to say it is very reliable and it starts every time I try and fire it up. Of course it bounces all over the road like a typical small size truck does on bumpy roads. I just bought new Monroe shocks and struts that have to be installed. I'll see if that changes the ride. Regardless, when I first got it I was getting 16mpg. Don't ask what happened but I am at 142,000 miles and for some strange reason, I am now getting like 13. I have changed the spark plus, got a new air filter, new tires, I keep the air in the tires at the right poundage and I still can't understand it. And it's a 4 cylinder.

Owner/operator
By l1nda on 06/20/10 11:05 AM (PDT)

2004 Toyota Tacoma 2dr Xtracab 4WD SB (2.7L 4cyl 4A)

Replaced 5 sets of front brake rotors, replaced ball joints within 2 years of ownership, within 2 years of purchase had to start replacing exhaust system 3 times, replace rear shocks after 3 years of purchase date, brought Tacoma to dealer with frame rust in 2008 nothing was done, another recall came up in 2010 now the frame is completely rotted out and getting the run around from the Toyota company. Want to put new frame underneath vehicle with all rusted hardware this means taking the entire vehicle apart who knows how it will run after that. Want Toyota to buy back vehicle but they refuse to will fight to the end. I am done with toyotas. Drove this vehicle with rot on frame for two years

The Best
By PhilthyAK47 on 10/12/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2004 Toyota Tacoma 2dr Xtracab 4WD SB (2.7L 4cyl 4A)

A great truck for a great cost.

Best Truck I have ever driven.
By Eissac337 on 10/09/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2004 Toyota Tacoma 2dr Xtracab 4WD SB (2.7L 4cyl 4A)

I have had no problems with this truck...best car-buying decision I have ever made. I know other people who also own tacomas...we are all very much satisfied. I have never needed warranty service thus far.

Expectations continue
By riverwalkerr on 08/28/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2004 Toyota Tacoma 2dr Xtracab 4WD SB (2.7L 4cyl 4A)

Continuing a 10 year legacy of Toyota ownership . Tacoma purchase compliments an aging fleet 94/190K,2001/75K. Traveling home to Michigan UP ,I averaged 21.8 mpg without using cruise,but utilizing varying throttle opening with small changes in RPM that resulted in the best milage. I have made this trip hundreds of times and am usallly ragged out regardless of rest stops. Tacoma's ride with optional 16 inch tires and form bucket seats aided in the arrriving at the destination refreshed compared to previous trips. With 1235 miles ,the next ten years will reveal the story of this investment. We are hopeful as a Toyota will usually give trouble free service

great truck
By kingdmn on 07/13/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2004 Toyota Tacoma 2dr Xtracab 4WD SB (2.7L 4cyl 4A)

i put ladder racks on my truck and use it every day for my construction business

Best vehicle I've owned yet!
By Jethro790 on 01/20/04 00:00 AM (PST)

2004 Toyota Tacoma 2dr Xtracab 4WD SB (2.7L 4cyl 4A)

When I started looking for a Toyota Tacoma, I was interested in a used vehicle. After seeing the price of the used Tacomas, I decided to go with new. I now understand why these trucks hold thier value so much. The quality is great. Even the used ones I test drove with 35-50k miles on them felt tight and solid. My truck is equipped with the inline 4 2.7l engine, and it has plenty of grunt for my use. I have been off-road with it many times and it performs flawlessly. I was impressed to see that the owners manual specifically states that "This truck is designed for off-road use." I will be sticking with Toyota for some years to come.

tacoma
By jamesmoo on 01/01/04 00:00 AM (PST)

2004 Toyota Tacoma 2dr Xtracab 4WD SB (2.7L 4cyl 4A)

great fun truck, bulletproof.